Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,022 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with this ladies teaching technique at all. All she is really doing is race-baiting and possibly promoting hate with any non-whites in the class room and creating apologists out of all the white kids that are more than likely fully aware of the atrocities committed during slavery days.

Last edited by jeremy2788; 09-07-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
How many times have we heard from liberals and conservatives alike?

"I don't see color. I see the individual."

By not seeing color you are not seeing the reality of people of color. You are part of the problem.

Racism Class (watch and learn)

Part 1

Part 2
I see color but it does not mean squat when it comes to determining if the person is a good person or bad, and only a Moron would think that it does.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Skin color is a very poor determinant of race.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Neither Liberals nor Conservatives see color...until it comes time to buying a house and selecting the "perfect" community to raise their families. Then, they see color real good.

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-08-2014 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 09-08-2014, 03:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I think this is a complex issue. When someone says they don't see color, they see the individual, they aren't saying they are color-blind. It's a comment about what a person's "color" says about that person. Certainly in our culture "color" or "ethnicity" has an impact on people. But that impact varies widely. So when meeting someone, how do you determine what their "color" or "ethnicity" says about them? I don't think you can. And I think that the person saying that they don't see color is saying that they don't think they can, either. Color may or may not be an important part of a person's identity. And you have to get to know the person first to find out how important it is to them. Because that's the point, isn't it? The color of someone else's skin isn't important to me unless it's important to them. They get to define themselves, both for themselves and for me.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Well only the blinds don't see color. Unless one is legally blind, he/she sees color.
That being said, to explain equality, liberty and freedom to somebody is like to explain colors to a blind person. It is mission impossible.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
How many times have we heard from liberals and conservatives alike?

"I don't see color. I see the individual."

By not seeing color you are not seeing the reality of people of color. You are part of the problem.

Racism Class (watch and learn)

Part 1

Part 2
What if I don't care what color they are and I just expect what I expect out of them? I take people one at a time and what their parents looked like has nothing to do with my judgement process.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Yes, appearances are way more important than substance.

Appearances are EVERYTHING!

this guy told me one, if you want to be paid good, look at the person that write the checks, if he professional and you dress like a bum, then you going get paid like a bum

people cover with tattoos, those holly ear ring, purple hair, pants around the knees, I know its individual , but they still don't get it.

appearance is everything

Old 09-08-2014, 07:08 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm going to agree. I want to say, I live right next to a military base. If I see a black man in a military uniform I don't think anything markedly different about him as I do the white man in a military uniform. In my mind, how someone dresses and how they speak says more than anything else about a person.

I think most of the problem comes in with the "thug" style and speak. If a black guy looks like a thug and talks like a thug, I tend to assume he really is a thug. If a white guy looks like a thug and talks like a thug, I usually assume he is an idiot wannabe(probably a juggalo).

The "politically correct police", wants me to do one of two things. Either believe that the thug-looking white guy is also a thug(or more importantly, just as likely to be a thug as the black guy), or believe that neither of them are a thug(since I don't have evidence that they are thugs).

The second one is just plain stupid, the first isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it isn't always so simple.
You don't get to decide who is and who isn't a thug.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You don't get to decide who is and who isn't a thug.
the different is the white guy might hit you, the black guy is going hit you, he hate white people anyway so he going medieval on your azz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies