Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM

260 posts, read 195,340 times

Advertisements

Europeans by nature are used to a serf-like existence. It gives them comfort to trust in authority, allows them to feel secure. Sadly, they think they have a say in their political affairs and that is laughable. Certainly, they enjoy those 6-8 weeks of vacation.

Humans tend to enjoy the idea that something so huge and solid as the state has their backs. Americans of yesteryear worked very hard to achieve what they had and as they slide deeper into a narcissistic splendor they expect to be blanketed more and more by a providing state. On the other hand, Chinese people are becoming more prosperous and want to be relieved of the state's interest in their lives. I guess it comes down to how much one has and what can be afforded and the amount of excess and for how long that abundance has been enjoyed by a society.

I believe most Americans into being coddled by the state are unhappy no European dystopia will take them in and so they want to put a system in place that works for nations of 10-60 million that would be a spectacular failure in one that has 330 million. Now if you were to take the largest states and allow those places to pay for all these benefits to those dwelling within their own borders while eliminating the federal government (and its taxation) out of the equation, that might be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I think they do...if their govt defaults, they are seriously hosed.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:18 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Europeans by nature are used to a serf-like existence. It gives them comfort to trust in authority, allows them to feel secure. Sadly, they think they have a say in their political affairs and that is laughable. Certainly, they enjoy those 6-8 weeks of vacation.
You're funny. Europeans, in their serf-like existence, enjoy higher social mobility than people in the US. As far as I'm concerned, the proverbial "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" in the US - the guy who'll sing the praises of the Very Rich as he expectantly waits his turn for a lick at the silver spoon - is putting his trust in a much more nebulous authority, and one that he cannot in any way influence.

Northern Europeans, at any rate, enjoy government with very low corruption - certainly when compared to the US - and politicians who by and large aren't millionaires, living in their own little universe, and deeply beholden to those with deep pockets.

And yes, 6 weeks of vacation is kinda awesome.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuunyuuzhan View Post
It sounds like you would be interested in some variety of anarchism.
Yes. I'm anarcho-capitalist. I think government is immoral.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you hand-wave into existence a perfect authority whose decisions everyone is willing to accept as binding, you can certainly plan an Utopia. But is it realistic?

Love it. The ocean is one of the last places you would want to be without some sort of authority that can force your freedom-loving neighbor to close his porthole when there's a storm approaching. There's a reason ocean-captains have complete authority, but for God, on their vessels.
There are ways already thought of that could potentially work. Private police or DROs are possible, but who knows what people will come up with. It would take some innovation, definitely, but in my mind there isnt really a choice. What we have now violates the NAP.

My ocean comment was mostly a joke. I prefer everyone just stops putting their faith in government so moving wont be necessary. I doubt that happens in my lifetime though.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
You're funny. Europeans, in their serf-like existence, enjoy higher social mobility than people in the US. As far as I'm concerned, the proverbial "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" in the US - the guy who'll sing the praises of the Very Rich as he expectantly waits his turn for a lick at the silver spoon - is putting his trust in a much more nebulous authority, and one that he cannot in any way influence.

Northern Europeans, at any rate, enjoy government with very low corruption - certainly when compared to the US - and politicians who by and large aren't millionaires, living in their own little universe, and deeply beholden to those with deep pockets.

Please, please explain what this means? And in terms that us peasants can understand.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Yes. I'm anarcho-capitalist. I think government is immoral.
Might I suggest Somalia, Galt's Chile, or GlenBeckistan?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Those Northern Europeans are living in a nebula. They are happy as they know they must say they are.

I don't think they are all that content and I'm not going to believe any poll provided. And yes, they live a serf-like existence basically doing what they are told to do and that is that.

You really think the Northern European has a true voice in their society? That's a joke. As for corruption, what is there to corrupt? What great things does Europe supply the world with other than quaint English celebrities and tourist traps that are really, really old and/or pompous?

Well, pity the politician that does what he's told and not receive anything but a cush pension for it. I doubt highly that many a Northern European doesn't dwell in their own little special universe and I have seen photos of some of their homes taken on the inside. Oh, they are 'special' all right. Ikea special (European Wal-Mart).

Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Please, please explain what this means? And in terms that us peasants can understand.
Higher social mobility?

I think it means they pay higher taxes in return for a cute smugness they can wear as an attitude in public especially when speaking of how one ought to prefer to be governed.

Or maybe they get more likes on FB...

Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Those Northern Europeans are living in a nebula. They are happy as they know they must say they are.

I don't think they are all that content and I'm not going to believe any poll provided. And yes, they live a serf-like existence basically doing what they are told to do and that is that.

You really think the Northern European has a true voice in their society? That's a joke. As for corruption, what is there to corrupt? What great things does Europe supply the world with other than quaint English celebrities and tourist traps that are really, really old and/or pompous?

Well, pity the politician that does what he's told and not receive anything but a cush pension for it. I doubt highly that many a Northern European doesn't dwell in their own little special universe and I have seen photos of some of their homes taken on the inside. Oh, they are 'special' all right. Ikea special (European Wal-Mart).
Haar! this from the country that is still installing single pane windows and taking the wheels of their houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies