Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Can't speak for the poster to whom this is addressed,
but where I live it's not in the least a relevant concern.
So you can give me an iron-clad guarantee that no one will ever be victimized in a grocery store or otherwise where you live? Crime doesn't exist in your locale? It might be a rarity, but that doesn't negate the possibility that it could happen. Until we live in a world where crime is non-existent, carrying a firearm for self protection is a relevant option for individuals wishing to do so.
Quote:
I don't for a moment disregard your perception that a weapon is a
necessary accessory where you live
I didn't say it was a necessary accessory, I said it was a justifiable precaution to take. The reality is that we live in a world where bad people do bad things, you needn't look any further than your late local 11 o'clock news for proof of that. If we knew for a fact where or when we could become a victim, there'd be no need to carry a gun because we could just avoid the situation all together, but you don't know if or when it could happen. Carrying a gun is just a precaution, no different then buckling your seatbelt, carrying a tire iron, or putting up smoke detectors. Hopefully those precautions never become necessary, but if they could save your life and you are willing to take them, why not?
Quote:
. Would you return the courtesy to me, that's it's not where I live?
I'll acknowledge and respect your individual decision not to carry a gun, yes, but saying that applies to your entire community is a step too far. The reality is that crime exists everywhere, and as long as it exists, wanting to carry a gun for protection is an understandable and justifiable choice for those who want to do so.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Why Moms Demand Action Is Desperately Bullying Kroger - Bearing Arms

Great article! Kroger bans gun I will stop shopping there..its the only store I really enjoy shopping at...I won't feel safe if they do so.
But many more will replace you; feeling safer that your gone; frankly.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I was not aware, until this post, that Kroger peeps were
not armed up to the gills
I'm sure you encounter armed people on a daily basis, you're just unaware. There are now approx. 11.5 million people who hold concealed carry permits in this country.
Quote:
I've managed to live almost 50 years without my local grocery being loaded
with fire arms, never been robbed, never witnessed a robbery.
Hopefully it stays that way. Most people will never fall victims to crime in their lives, but the reality is that crime exists, and pretending it doesn't won't change the fact. People do fall victim to crime every day in this country, and as long as crime exists, taking the precaution of carrying a firearm is a relevant and valid choice.
Quote:
Geez, I do silly things like keep my purse with me, notice my
surroundings...
As do people who carry firearms. The general rule is that you should never do anything armed that you wouldn't do unarmed. Situational awareness is the best possible defense.
Quote:
You must be armed at all times people must live a really terrified
life. I feel sorry for you.
No more terrified than people who install alarm systems in their homes, or smoke detectors, or people who wear seat-belts, or have a tire iron and lift jack in their trunk, or purchase insurance policies. It's called taking a precaution and being prepared for the worst, while hoping it never happens.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Its not the point of NEEDING ONE. Its the point of being able to wear a pistol when I go ANYWHERE....idiots are everywhere...these stores that post publicly that no guns are allowed are prime targets for stick ups...no thanks.
Do you take your pistol to your bank or post office?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But many more will replace you; feeling safer that your gone; frankly.
Well, that's not exactly true, at least not according to the numbers. Turns out, customers like businesses that both respect their Rights and allow them the ability to defend themselves....

Gun-friendly businesses, bars, restaurants growing in popularity - Washington Times

According to this, 57,000 + businesses have cropped up that invite gun toters in.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Do you take your pistol to your bank or post office?
I carry in my bank all the time as my state does not forbid it, and my bank has no policy against it. I don't know why people automatically assume guns are banned in banks.... they're not.

However, carrying a firearm in to a post office is a federal crime.

It's my responsibility as a concealed carry permit holder to know that.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-05-2014 at 01:51 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Where the hell do you live that you need a gun to buy bananas and eggs?
Let me explain, in general, about civilians carrying guns for defense and the approach one must take.

First of all, there is the philosophy of, "Now that you can carry a gun, don't go anyplace you wouldn't go if you couldn't carry a gun." Now that doesn't mean don't go to those places that ban guns but rather, don't go to the roughest part of town looking for trouble.

If someone does have to shoot one in defense, one of the things that will happen is that they will be sued. The opposing lawyer will try to show, convince the jury of premeditation, that the shooter intended to shoot the other person instead of going elsewhere.

Ie, "So, Ms. Cassandra, you say you were in fear of my client's son, so you got up that morning with the intent to shoot him. You strapped on your pistol, went to where you knew my client's son would be, and shot him dead."

Now perhaps it didn't quite go down that way, but he will be trying to cast to the jury an interpretation that it did go down that way.

So what the gun carrier has to do, to defuse such a legal attack if it ever comes to it, is carry their gun all the time, everywhere they can. So the opposing lawyer can't say that you intended to shoot him that day.

Carrying all the time means that one day is no different than any other day. There was no intent on the gun holder to cause the situation but, that rather, the attacker caused the situation.

One is not suppose to go anyplace where they expect to need to use the gun. One carries everywhere they can because any one day is like any other day.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let me explain, in general, about civilians carrying guns for defense and the approach one must take.

First of all, there is the philosophy of, "Now that you can carry a gun, don't go anyplace you wouldn't go if you couldn't carry a gun." Now that doesn't mean don't go to those places that ban guns but rather, don't go to the roughest part of town looking for trouble.

If someone does have to shoot one in defense, one of the things that will happen is that they will be sued. The opposing lawyer will try to show, convince the jury of premeditation, that the shooter intended to shoot the other person instead of going elsewhere.

Ie, "So, Ms. Cassandra, you say you were in fear of my client's son, so you got up that morning with the intent to shoot him. You strapped on your pistol, went to where you knew my client's son would be, and shot him dead."

Now perhaps it didn't quite go down that way, but he will be trying to cast to the jury an interpretation that it did go down that way.

So what the gun carrier has to do, to defuse such a legal attack if it ever comes to it, is carry their gun all the time, everywhere they can. So the opposing lawyer can't say that you intended to shoot him that day.

Carrying all the time means that one day is no different than any other day. There was no intent on the gun holder to cause the situation but, that rather, the attacker caused the situation.

One is not suppose to go anyplace where they expect to need to use the gun. One carries everywhere they can because any one day is like any other day.
Hmmm. interesting take. Never thought of it that way. Good argument for EDC ( Every Day Carry, for those of you not familiar with the acronym )

I imagine it wall fall on deaf ears however, because the person you are replying to would argue that you don't "need" to carry a gun anywhere, let alone every day or to a grocery store.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-05-2014 at 02:05 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 02:09 AM

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that my house burns down today.... should I take down my smoke detectors and suspend my insurance policy?

Statistically, it's pretty unlikely I'll be in a car accident today. Should I leave my seat belt off or quit paying my car insurance?

Probably unlikely that I'll have a flat tire, but yet I carry a donut and the necessary tools in my trunk, as most you do as well, I would wager.

So why do so many of you look at carrying a gun in a different light then the rest of these scenarios? Yes, it's unlikely I'll be a victim of a crime, but that doesn't mean preparing for it is unjustified.....

Old 09-05-2014, 02:19 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So you can give me an iron-clad guarantee that no one will ever be victimized in a grocery store or otherwise where you live?
Yep.
I'll guarantee, by my life and my soul, that no one in my local Kroger will ever be victimized by a firearm.
Next question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies