Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

If you look thru out world history ;people of different cultures have lived among themselves; even within a nation. Often peacefully. Conflicts only come when they are forced to by circumstances or political policy.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And he was pointing out to YOU the 600k comment. Saying 600,000 is "not many" is like saying having cancer in your foot is "not that much". It's still cancer...
No one has to defend what I write Ill do that. There is no need to go with that phony 600,000 number

There were millions of enslaved people in this nation by the 1860's that is historical fact.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:49 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
I repeat in every immigration thread:

An average woman in X country needs to have 2.07 children. In developed countries they aren't having 2.07 children. Suck it up and deal with the immigrants, or have the government give more tax credits to families for having children. There are so many angry first-world white men b***hing about immigration. It is their own fault for not having enough children.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Are we really going to go here? This has already been discussed/touched upon.

Most of us in the NORTH are from states that have ZERO lineage to any slavery or racial oppression whatsoever.

My state Minnesota has no racial past other than displacing Natives, and the descendants of those tribes today get monthly payments.

So disingenuous rhetoric about us owing blacks is nonsense, in many instances. In my case and my family tree it is one hundred percent factual.
It doesn't matter. Since these people are so emotionally invested in American slavery being the defining thing in history, they have developed the theory that slavery is the foundation of the economy of America. Everything that happened in non-slave states only happened because those states traded with the slave states, and America's rise to economic prominence in the 20th century only happened because of the efforts of the slaves in the 19th to get it started.

In this way they can blame every while person in the country for slavery. Even those like me, whose families weren't in America during slavery, can be blamed. We are benefiting today from the conditions set up by the slave ancestors of the blacks.

It's complete nonsense, of course. The rise of America was due to an abundance of natural resources, a strategically secure location making invasion difficult, and the embrace of the industrial revolution. Slavery had nothing to do with it. That's not to say that slavery was unimportant - you can't go to the extreme in the other direction either. Slavery most definitely was a driver of the Southern economy. But these people who want to use it to justify reparations and affirmative action policies and to excuse black kids dropping out of school and committing crimes today are operating on emotion rather than facts.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM

430 posts, read 379,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I repeat in every immigration thread:

An average woman in X country needs to have 2.07 children. In developed countries they aren't having 2.07 children. Suck it up and deal with the immigrants, or have the government give more tax credits to families for having children. There are so many angry first-world white men b***hing about immigration. It is their own fault for not having enough children.
There are several reasons we aren't have enough kids. Feminism has made women think being a mother is evil and being a working woman equal to any man is better,the government's policies since 1960 or so had made it to where BOTH parents have to work to survive...despite that me and my wife are expecting #4 in April. My mother had 5,my older brother has 5,my younger brother has 3,my wife is one of 3,her father was one of 3,her mother was one of 6.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It doesn't matter. Since these people are so emotionally invested in American slavery being the defining thing in history, they have developed the theory that slavery is the foundation of the economy of America. Everything that happened in non-slave states only happened because those states traded with the slave states, and America's rise to economic prominence in the 20th century only happened because of the efforts of the slaves in the 19th to get it started.

In this way they can blame every while person in the country for slavery. Even those like me, whose families weren't in America during slavery, can be blamed. We are benefiting today from the conditions set up by the slave ancestors of the blacks.

It's complete nonsense, of course. The rise of America was due to an abundance of natural resources, a strategically secure location making invasion difficult, and the embrace of the industrial revolution. Slavery had nothing to do with it. That's not to say that slavery was unimportant - you can't go to the extreme in the other direction either. Slavery most definitely was a driver of the Southern economy. But these people who want to use it to justify reparations and affirmative action policies and to excuse black kids dropping out of school and committing crimes today are operating on emotion rather than facts.
This is basically a bogus post.

This idea that we can separate The early American and colonial economy from the slave economy is pure fiction and more of an assertion than knowledge.

In 1860, there were 4 million enslaved people worth 3.5billion, by far the largest source of wealth in the whole nation.

In fact the wealthiest states in America were Mississippi, GA, LA, and SC. Their wealth didn't only stay in those states. It didn't only benefit that business.

You are trotting kabuki history, even though large investments were made from that money, that money had nothing to do with what it was invested in which were a plethora of industries all over the nation.

They insured slaves, that was huge business. Again the early American economy is extremely dependent on cotton which was by far our largest export and slavery.

People that get all defensive and start talking about your families and when they got here is the true tell.

This history belongs to all Americans. Why feel threatened?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:06 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Dieversity is poison. Homogenous countries are always more peaceful, ordered, and efficient.
Well, I guess the USA is poison, then, and has never been peaceful, ordered, or efficient.

It began with diversity.

The Spanish and English were the first to officially arrive.

Africans settled here, albeit under duress.

The French settled here.

The Scandanavians settled here.

The Chinese settled here.

You don't like our country's history?

After almost five hundred years, people are still bothered by diversity in this country?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:25 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

The northern states benefitted greatly from slave labor please educate yourself.

Plus we are talking about America right? Not just Minnesota
Nope. I'm talking about my home state, in which the entire infrastructure was based on European-Americans mining, farming, and foresting the land. No slave labor whatsoever. We today are one of the best way-of-life states in the entire country. It's entirely dubious to suggest we would not be just fine without the bogus institution of slavery. We also sent in one of the first brigades to fight that dubious Civil War as well.

You understand the taproot of America as a country from the start was states' rights, based on the Articles of Confederation? Every state has their own constitutions.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
They were white and it was the 1920's; it was effectively homogenous at the time; more so than where they came from... a decidedly non homogenous correspondingly peaceful place known as the Balkans.
Yeah, well times change.

That was then, this is now. And despite your dreams of returning back to the 20's, we can't make the Earth spin backwards.

You're here now in the nation they immigrated to knowing full well that it was a hodgepodge of humanity. Deal with it.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Nope. I'm talking about my home state, in which the entire infrastructure was based on European-Americans mining, farming, and foresting the land. No slave labor whatsoever. We today are one of the best way-of-life states in the entire country. It's entirely dubious to suggest we would not be just fine without the bogus institution of slavery. We also sent in one of the first brigades to fight that dubious Civil War as well.

You understand the taproot of America as a country from the start was states' rights, based on the Articles of Confederation? Every state has their own constitutions.

So you create a thread( I think you are the thread OP)asking a question about America, I answer that question, now you want to just talk about one state out of 50. Minnesota? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies