Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 11:57 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I do not need your warning but thanks anyway.

I haven't confused anything, and I made my point very clear earlier in the thread.
You can bury your head in the sand if you want... you are young. I am in my 40s and my wife works in a profession that deals with abuse. She knows how the reporting system works, it isnt how it was when you grew up 15-20 yrs ago. But if you want to ignore advice and live as you wish, you got to understand the consequences. You cant do anything to your child as you wish, there are many eyes out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 11:59 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, my intent is to get you to read and reflect on the excellent post below....
Your intent is to impose your own personal moral code onto everyone else.

Quote:
Go beyond a slap with an open hand and you risk intervention to protect the child that will get your attention if all else fails. When you cross the line into abuse, it becomes the business of every responsible adult who comes in contact with your child.
Like I told Kamsack, I do not need your warning or advice. I know what I'm doing.

As a kid I would have thrown an epic fit had anyone even threatened to take me from my mother over a spanking. I can picture my children reacting in the exact same way.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Your intent is to impose your own personal moral code onto everyone else.

Like I told Kamsack, I do not need your warning or advice. I know what I'm doing.

As a kid I would have thrown an epic fit had anyone even threatened to take me from my mother over a spanking. I can picture my children reacting in the exact same way.
spanking, is way different than what this man did. if you can't see the difference you are blind

Old 09-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
You can bury your head in the sand if you want... you are young. I am in my 40s and my wife works in a profession that deals with abuse. She knows how the reporting system works, it isnt how it was when you grew up 15-20 yrs ago. But if you want to ignore advice and live as you wish, you got to understand the consequences. You cant do anything to your child as you wish, there are many eyes out there.
This isn't about you trying to help me out. It's about you trying to guilt me into sharing your opinion on spanking. My age has nothing to do with it. The people who raised me are even older than you are, and their advice has far more value than yours, as far as I'm concerned. You do what you feel is right for your children and I will do the same.

By the way, you're not the only one with friends in "the system".

Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
This isn't about you trying to help me out. It's about you trying to guilt me into sharing your opinion on spanking. My age has nothing to do with it. The people who raised me are even older than you are, and their advice has far more value than yours, as far as I'm concerned. You do what you feel is right for your children and I will do the same.

By the way, you're not the only one with friends in "the system".
can you enlighten us on what you think IS child physical abuse if this is not?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
On the contrary, where I come from, those kids that were not spanked were the ones who stayed in trouble at school and grew up to stay in trouble with the law.

I was spanked. I have never been violent and I am certainly not angry.
I'm not sure where you came from, but I'm quite certain I would never want to live there.

My wife works with at risk kids and special needs kids. I can tell you with great certainty that most at risk kids (in trouble) were not only spanked- their general home life is a contributing factor. Drug or alcohol abuse, parents don't care about education.. It's sad.

In any event- my wife has not only reported abuse on multiple occasions, she herself is REQUIRED to make at home visits whether they be announced or unannounced. And she is a teacher, not a social worker.

Beating is beating. Abuse is abuse. We've seen children removed from their homes because the parents thought it necessary to 'cross that line'.

It's pretty sad, actually.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm not sure where you came from, but I'm quite certain I would never want to live there.
Well I'm sorry but I had no say in the matter.

Quote:
My wife works with at risk kids and special needs kids. I can tell you with great certainty that most at risk kids (in trouble) were not only spanked- their general home life is a contributing factor. Drug or alcohol abuse, parents don't care about education.. It's sad.
Indeed, but the point I'm trying to get across is that there is a clear difference between parents who hit their children out of malice and those who hit out of love and discipline. Striking your child across the face because you're drunk isn't the same thing as swatting them on the behind with a belt because their behavior is unacceptable.

I'm not saying Peterson didn't go overboard. He did.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
it seems like this whole post is not about discipline your child, but if you do, you will go to jail. he a parent, let him parent his own kid.

its properly being blown up in the media because the ex wife is angry and wants more money
if it wasn't for her the media would never knew. so why did she tip off the media

Actually, the doctor reported the abuse to the police, as required by law.
The injuries required medical attention.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:44 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
But you admit to being hit with a switch, and you are confident that it is not abuse, correct? So let's compare your grandmother to a muscle bound running back. In my mind, that translates to him simply underestimating his own strength. The result is an accident that resulted from the use of some poor judgment.
Heh. Not quite. My grandmother had worked on a farm all her life. She was not a weak woman. She was also not the only one to grab for it. My grandfather and uncles would do the same. It was just a normal thing. None of them were weak in the slightest and none ever left the kind of marks this child had. Do I think what they did was abuse? No.

Do I think what he did was different? Oh yes. I wouldn't blink half as much if the kid was older but that one detail is pretty important.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Heh. Not quite. My grandmother had worked on a farm all her life. She was not a weak woman. She was also not the only one to grab for it. My grandfather and uncles would do the same. It was just a normal thing. None of them were weak in the slightest and none ever left the kind of marks this child had. Do I think what they did was abuse? No.
I'm not calling your family members weak, but as physically powerful as an NFL player? Come on. The man's arms are ostrich eggs.

Quote:
Do I think what he did was different? Oh yes. I wouldn't blink half as much if the kid was older but that one detail is pretty important.
That much I agree with. That type of butt whooping doesn't seem appropriate for any offense that a 4 year old would commit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies