Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,472,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You can say that from your perspective of not being involved. You can't tell kids they're not supposed to be hurt. And yes, I definitely can speak from experience. Racism hardened me and toughened me - but I'm a big boy. Someone 17, 15, 12, 7 isn't going to be so adult about it.
The kids were upset because they've been taught to become upset over something so stupid.

That seed was planted in their heads and reinforced at home.

The "us" vs. "them" program has been drummed into their heads since they could understand the difference.

On both sides.

Time to turn the tables and don't consider it at all. It's 2014 not 1954.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,382,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

If that is what Popeyes does than so be it, everyone knows Popeyes is the best fried chicken.
I just went to Popeye's for the first time this summer.

It is better than KFC.......IMO.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,797,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I just went to Popeye's for the first time this summer.

It is better than KFC.......IMO.
The biscuits are unbelievable..., and the chicken is awesome.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,931,321 times
From talking about people being taunted with bananas, to talking about fried chicken places.

Strom Thurmond would be giddy about this.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:47 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,525,766 times
Lol!

Old 09-16-2014, 03:49 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,382,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Lol!
Is it to late in the year for watermelon????

Old 09-16-2014, 03:51 PM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

If that is what Popeyes does than so be it, everyone knows Popeyes is the best fried chicken.
Church's. Hands down.

Sorry.

For what it's worth, I think the team's version is pretty believable.

Black North Plainfield players say they were taunted with bananas

I'd be interested in hearing the racial makeup of, 1., Summit's football team and 2., other teams that they've played.

But not everything has racial undertones.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,931,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Is it to late in the year for watermelon????
Any opportunity, huh...?

Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The kids were upset because they've been taught to become upset over something so stupid.

That seed was planted in their heads and reinforced at home.

The "us" vs. "them" program has been drummed into their heads since they could understand the difference.

On both sides.

Time to turn the tables and don't consider it at all. It's 2014 not 1954.
You don't have any say so in whether or not those persons should be upset or not. You are not them. Instead of blaming the person who was subjected to bigoted behavior, maybe it makes more sense to get upset at the persons who contributed to that behavior. The persons who were throwing bananas didn't have to do that. Why not be upset at those persons?

The way I see it, it is like telling a person "if someone sits there and hits you, take it".

Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,746,996 times
LOL...okay, first, why do bananas have to be racially motivated? When I seen this I was thinking who made that connection? Someone who was inclined to automatically look for racially motivated meanings. At this point, it could just as easily be seen as say, an attempt to make them think about slipping on a banana peel, right?

Okay, if we assume that it was an off-color (double entendre ) joke, then yes it was rather childish. What has happened to people that they are so overly sensitive? There is a big world out there that will present you with a whole lot of worse perspectives and ideas, better grow up a little or they might spend their entire lifetime crying about one thing or another.

Finally, I saw the racism word, again. Racism is the belief in the superiority of one group over another. No mention of anything like that here. Racism as a term is used a LOT, and it is almost always used incorrectly. See the above definition already stated.

If someone does not like, ridicules, treats badly, or even hates a group of people, it is called "bigotry" not "racism". Just a little help for those who are always talking about and looking for "racism", when what they are really seeing is "bigotry".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies