Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 AM

118 posts, read 115,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'd support this 100%, provided the person requesting the tax credit:

-can prove they were a slave.

And since nothing is free, even "credits", the money to pay for this credit will come from:

-any taxpayer that has owned a slave.

Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yes if they are creating jobs. giving free money to people who refuse to work does nothing for the economy.
Tell that to Sen Pelosi.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,191,138 times
Interesting...though it's doubtful that most even care about the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
define black......please

is Obama who is HALF WHITE with a father who is NON-AMERICAN (true African, no relation to American slaves) black???

a the nearly entire lumbee indian tribe, who mixed with blacks 150 years ago..considered black

is a blackman who just moved here from Jamaica or Haiti considered American black enough to get the reparation??
This country is too ignorant to recognize cultural differences among people of African descent. One minute you're basically forced to be classified as African-American/black and next minute you're not in that category. Bet if they came out with something like this, the U.S. government would fix its mess quickly.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,429,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Why would you oppose it if it benefits everyone and is of no cost to the tax payer?

I bet you support transferable tax credits when its for corporations and the film industry.
How can tax credits to corporations cost the taxpayer and tax credits to blacks not cost the taxpayer?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,191,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Against Reparations no matter how one wants to address it. How are going to know who had slaves as their family line, many people with African roots came here long after slavery was ended here? Who is illegible, every person with one drop of African blood, someone that is 50/50, what is the determining factor? No, it is not only not feasible, it is not necessary, if the USA wanted to do this they should have done so long ago, over 200 years later is not logical.

That said I, do support affirmative action programs that help poor blacks rise up into the ranks of the middle-class and in my opinion that is all we can or should do at this late date.

So that should make people mad on both sides of the issue, too bad get over it, reality is harsh sometimes.
I agree with your assessment. That ship has sailed, and the nation continues to deal with its failure to do right by the ancestors of AAs. They knew land would equal money and they wanted to make sure thay AAs and their families did not have much wealth. They made sure to prevent much of that until the 60s. It's more recently that things have been changing in that regard.

Affirmative action helps a myriad of groups, including white women. It does help a number of AAs though.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 AM

7,493 posts, read 6,276,099 times
Quote:
I just saw this on another board. Would you support it?

Issue transferable, but not refundable tax credits to all African Americans. 20 year expiration date on them. Hell, make them provide a birth certificate. It wouldn't cost the US government a cent. Only people who would pay would do so voluntarily by buying tax credits and in return they get a reduction in their tax burden. Win-win for everyone, right?

On top of that, think of the economic impact it would have if every black person in America got $30k/yr for the next five years (or whatever the number). They would spend most of that money domestically and that would create jobs. Factor in the multiplier and it may even pump more money into the economy than the face value of the credits. If anything, it would come close.

So, in summary:

-give reparations.
-stimulate the economy.
-reduce poverty.
-reduce tax burden on individuals and corporations who buy the credits.
-no cost to the tax payer since it is only tax credits.
Perpetual motion is impossible.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:13 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,661,765 times
I actually would support reperations that would end (or come close to ending) intergenerational black poverty.

The OP's idea probably would stimulate the economy in the ways that s/he suggests, but I do not believe it would solve the problem, which is a combination of actual lack of opportunity combined with serial missed opportunity due to ignorance, violence and hopelessness. You would infuse cash into neighborhoods and families that have not a single idea or desire of how to invest, save, seek education or improve their futures. Useless.

A reperations plan which combined some actual financial reimbursement with dramatic & intensive education programs, relocation and a short term, very aggressive affirmative action, after which color and racial indicators would be outlawed. Then social entitlements would need total reformation. Final phase would be to punish race baiters in some way, since there would be no place for those who thrive on hate in a nation that has done everything it possibly can to bring its former victims up to social and economic par.

Everything that would apply to AAs would also be available to Native Americans.

The efforts that have been made round the edges trickle in here and there but never crack the massive core of rot.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I actually would support reperations that would end (or come close to ending) intergenerational black poverty.

With so many victims raising their kids to be victims, the cycle will never end.

Quit with all the freebies to buy votes, and you may see more and more pull themselves up out of the hell hole they have been taught to accept.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Real estate (land) in certain parts of the continent of Africa is not very expensive.

Have the Federal Reserve create the money out of thin air like it already does for everything else, and buy enough of it to accommodate anyone that feels they need reparations. Guarantee at least 10 acres for anyone that signs up to be repaid. Then buy each recipient of the reparations (land in Africa) a one way plane ticket to their destination.

I like this idea. We get rid of the free loading, entitlement minded "victims" and they get a way out of poverty. Win win!

I seriously doubt you'd have to print one thin dollar.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,409,348 times
Quote:
I just saw this on another board. Would you support it?

Issue transferable, but not refundable tax credits to all African Americans. 20 year expiration date on them. Hell, make them provide a birth certificate. It wouldn't cost the US government a cent. Only people who would pay would do so voluntarily by buying tax credits and in return they get a reduction in their tax burden. Win-win for everyone, right?

On top of that, think of the economic impact it would have if every black person in America got $30k/yr for the next five years (or whatever the number). They would spend most of that money domestically and that would create jobs. Factor in the multiplier and it may even pump more money into the economy than the face value of the credits. If anything, it would come close.

So, in summary:

-give reparations.
-stimulate the economy.
-reduce poverty.
-reduce tax burden on individuals and corporations who buy the credits.
-no cost to the tax payer since it is only tax credits.

Hey, I have another idea! I think its awsome.

how about we stop thinking in terms of:
Everybody owes me
Seperation by race
seperation by class

instead lets all start thinking like stinking AMERICANS and recognize that we are more than 100 years away from the civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies