Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Of course many are grouchy. Minimum wage workers often have to work not 1, but 2-3 other jobs, working 7 days a week day and night. I had a friend who was like that. Working 3-4 low wage jobs, 2-3 hours of sleep. One time fell asleep behind the wheel and nearly slammed into a bus full of kids.
One minimum wage job, 40 hours a week, can easily support 2 people. Could you elaborate your friend's situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
One minimum wage job, 40 hours a week, can easily support 2 people. Could you elaborate your friend's situation?
In a rural area perhaps. When I was living in NYC I was basically living out of my car making $12 an hour. Even a bedbug infested room will cost you $1500 per month there.

Most minimum wage jobs are not full time, but part time often a few hours a week. So a lot of people have to juggle multiple jobs with varying shifts.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:11 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Most minimum wage jobs are not full time, but part time often a few hours a week. So a lot of people have to juggle multiple jobs with varying shifts.
True, and a lot of folks can't work multiple shifts because of an on-call or short notice availability.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?

I am curious why you are assuming that those you encountered make minimum wage. Just because they work there does not mean they have just started working there.
People also have bad days just like everyone else or there is a possibility they just had a customer before you that treated them poorly and assumed they are minimum wage earners who do not deserve to be treated like humans.

Cashiers do not control how many cash registers are open and I have found the self check out lines are usually empty and if I have one or two items I will use those.

If you think you can do their jobs better perhaps you should go and work there and show them how it's done.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
True, and a lot of folks can't work multiple shifts because of an on-call or short notice availability.
I was working two jobs once, one as a customer service rep and another part time job at BK. I got a phone call during my customer service job by the BK manager to come in. Of course I refused and when I showed up the next day I was canned. Fast food and retail jobs are not steady 9-5 40 hour a week jobs. Heck, when I was working retail/fast food I was often sent home early, or called and told not to come in at all. Naturally they don't want you on the clock when there is no business.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It sounds like they were understaffed and the employees are left to deal with the mess. If you want to save a few cents and get wally mystery meat deli products don't complain.

^THIS. Don't blame the little guy because the big guy won't hire more people so people like you can save $0.05.

No one should shop at Walmart ever if you want any change in our country.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
^THIS. Don't blame the little guy because the big guy won't hire more people so people like you can save $0.05.

It's getting to the point where a lot of people simply can't afford to shop anywhere else. I don't make a lot of money at all, but I shop at a local unionized grocery chain. The stores are always neat and clean and the workers seem pretty happy to be there. Sure the prices are higher to reflect this.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

Utopian, if nobody shops at Walmart, what's going to happen to the millions Walmart employees and millions more from suppliers/vendors Walmart uses?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
One minimum wage job, 40 hours a week, can easily support 2 people.
No, the cannot, sorry.

Is everyone in a wheelchair just "faking it" in your fantasy world?

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance - Forbes

Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Utopian, if nobody shops at Walmart, what's going to happen to the millions Walmart employees and millions more from suppliers/vendors Walmart uses?

They would get contacts with the better stores that would have to be put in place to replace Walmart. (Similar to when Walmart came and put every other store out of business.)

And then we could ALL stop subsidizing Walmart and their workers. Would you not appreciate this? I know i would!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies