Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times

Advertisements

Not really. Every other millennial I know goes from relationship to relationship having too many kids. Even the "nerds".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:16 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
With the job market as bad as it is in so many parts of the country, who can blame them? I had to move back in with my parents briefly at the beginning of the Summer. A job opened up for me out in Colorado so I moved and didn't have to stay there long, but if that opportunity didn't arise then I would still be living there. And my parents live in Florida so that is one hell of a move to make. Something that drastic shouldn't be required to find a job that can pay rent.
If jobs were available where I'm from, I may have been still living at home, but being from Tennessee where there are no jobs, I've had to move to the Midwest, twice, to find stable employment. It really sucks if you're from a dead area.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Well... this millennial is 20, has $22000 in savings, investment, and cash, goes to a university for $2000 a semester (parent's pay the other $2000 and $1500 in scholarship) and lives at home. Things wouldn't be like this for me if I didn't live at home. After college, I should be set to move out.

But you know that whole saving early thing we heard? Staying at home = saving early.
There's nothing wrong with living at home during college. You are doing the right thing.

The topic at hand is boomerang children.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:41 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We are hiring. Except like I saw at all my kids math competitions 70% of the top 10 are indian, chinese or pakistani. Soooooooo, the outlook looks a whole lot more bleak depending on what social circles you run in.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw an American kid (regardless of race) put 20+ hours a week into sprots? Probably all the time.

When was the last time you saw one of the new immigrants or otherwise driven US kids put int 20+ hours a week in math, science and so forth?

But don't worry we have lots of complaints that Google having too many asians is racist while I pull up an NFL game and see half the field black.

I guess the NFL is just raicst and needs sactions and reforms eh?b

P,.S. The whole racist discussion is getting to the point in this country that if the Jamaican Bobsled team had instead been out of Florida....that their failure to do well against white nordic teams would be classified as a "disparate impact" and thus racism. SIgh.
Hold it. Since when did I bring up anything about race? I was not even talking about that. I was talking specifically about "who you know". I know some people who got the STEM degrees and still had issues finding work.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:58 PM

210 posts, read 246,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
See Phil P's post. Doesn't sound to me like a young skull full of mush.

There are a lot of bright Millennials. Mine is still at home, has his college paid for,
and runs his own business. And, I love him

I think that "kick them out when they are 18" scenario was very flawed.
It is.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
An entire generation of people has to put off major life decisions until things improve. Inflation adjusted net worth per household is off 30% from what it was 12 years ago (much of this due to stagnant housing market), and student loan debt is climbing to catastrophically high levels.

Could this be the lost decade for the United States?

I suspect that the lack of upward mobility in this sorry economy is why these minimum wage arguments are gaining traction in at least a few areas.
Include, lax immigration laws allowing tens of thousands to come here to compete for jobs, and watering down wages. Colleges and universities discovered years ago, allowing foreign students in was a keen way of artificially increasing the cost of tuition out of step with inflation. It also allowed white collar firms to lobby rationale for the H1B visa allowing companies to hire foreign students for slave wages over American citizen graduates. When unemployment is high, wages are stagnant; there is nothing worse than letting in more immigrants on top of a bad economy, and doing nothing about he ones that come here illegally.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There's nothing wrong with living at home during college. You are doing the right thing.

The topic at hand is boomerang children.
Yeah, that's a different story. I guess if they and the parents get along it's none of my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies