Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane was walking again View Post
the only thing i'm worried about is the consequences of my decision not to be a witness because this is my home library, and i have a long relationship with the people who work there. it's going to feel very awkward seeing them knowing now that they may hate me for not standing up for them. there's a small part of me that says to just be a witness to show solidarity. when the librarian asked me to be a witness, i didn't say i wouldn't be a witness; i asked librarian if i could have time to think about it.
You might not have a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I've been in plenty of Stinkopolis-type libraries that are overrun by vagrants, stinkies,
homeless-zombies and bums.....not a pretty scene. I support rules being enforced, thank you very much.

Yes, if asked, I would be a witness in this situation.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A 'witness' is just exactly that .... a person who will say exactly to the best of their knowledge what they "witnessed". It's not taking a side - it's telling what you saw or heard or both.

You didn't do the man any favors by declining to tell what you saw -- now it becomes a matter of "he said, she said".

I would always agree to be a witness to an event - if you think that somebody is being treated unfairly, then your "witness" of the event should help to clear up matters.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. "Oh, you want me to be a witness? Sure!" That doesn't mean I'll be THEIR witness when it comes time to take the stand, if I have to take the stand. And if I'm being questioned, and I have to fill out a form, writing what I saw, I would put it all in there. ALL. of it.

I agree that you didn't do the guy any favors by not being a witness. You were there, you could have had his back. As someone else mentioned, a shove by an elderly man...give me a break. If that guard got hurt to the point he's going to whine and slobber about it, by a shove from elderly person, then he shouldn't be a guard. A guard is not a cop.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:30 PM

35 posts, read 56,823 times
Absolutely. A rational person is much better able to determine what is just than our "justice" system.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane was walking again View Post
honesty, i don't think he knew about the no drinking policy. he had a foreign accent, so i'm guessing he thought it was okay maybe because from where he's from it's okay to drink in libraries. but you are right about his aggresiveness with librarian, it was pretty ugly.
you think drinking booze in libraries in other countries is legal? shoving the guard around and getting in the face of the librarian in other countries is ok? i have lived in other countries. I dont think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies