Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,887,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I started when it was $1.45.
I've made myself more valuable since then.

It was just a starting point.
What year did you make $1.45/hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,582,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Even that amount had much more buying power than $7.25 does today.
Amount With Inflation | Raise The Minimum Wage

Attachment 136824
Not to mention back in 1970, no cable bill, car insurance was optional, you could get by w/o a phone (lots of pay phones around). I wouldn't want to be trying to make it on min wage today.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:55 PM

The next 20 days will be interesting.

Quote:
The governor has the ultimate responsibility to ensure that the wage is in compliance, but any member of the public can file a complaint saying the minimum wage isn’t enough. After that, the governor has 20 days to investigate and take action.
Quote:
Walker has stated his opposition to raising the minimum wage. It’s not clear what he’s going to do in the next 20 days, but Rickman did point to the fact that in 1995, a judge ordered the state’s governor to raise the minimum wage in order to comply with state law.
Low-Wage Workers Confront Scott Walker, Accuse Wisconsin Of Breaking The Law

Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,549,473 times
Quote:
The WI statute says, “Every wage paid or agreed to be paid by any employer to any employee…shall be not less than a living wage,” which must be enough to “permit an employee to maintain herself or himself in minimum comfort, decency, physical and moral well-being.” The state minimum wage can’t be less than that.

The WI minimum wage at $7.25 falls short of a minimum wage.

Low-Wage Workers Confront Scott Walker, Accuse Wisconsin Of Breaking The Law | ThinkProgress
fact: wisc min wage is MORE than a "living wage:

an individual can most certainly live on $4 per hour...anything higher is just that higher

may bE those unskilled min wage workers should LEARN A SKILL

Old 09-28-2014, 02:58 PM

27,238 posts, read 15,412,032 times
Quote:
What year did you make $1.45/hour?

The same year I agreed to take it and then improve myself to off more worth to an employer so I didn't stay there waiting or complaining to others in order to do just that.
Worked out well.

Maybe we should start complaints to Obama since the worth of that money has decreased during his tenure?

No, I'll just take of myself on my merits.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
fact: wisc min wage is MORE than a "living wage:

an individual can most certainly live on $4 per hour...anything higher is just that higher

may bE those unskilled min wage workers should LEARN A SKILL
LOL! You are either living in the past or highly disoriented.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
Quote:
You never know..maybe WI will raise the min wage to $15/hour just like Seattle did.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The same year I agreed to take it and then improve myself to off more worth to an employer so I didn't stay there waiting or complaining to others in order to do just that.
Worked out well.

Maybe we should start complaints to Obama since the worth of that money has decreased during his tenure?

No, I'll just take of myself on my merits.
That would have been around 1967 and the buying power would be equivalent to $9.76 today.

Minimum wage since 1938 - CNNMoney

Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,901,147 times
Quote:
I started when it was $1.45.
I've made myself more valuable since then.

It was just a starting point.
I hope so, but like yourself it taught me a work ethic and knowing my next job will at least $ 2.00 per hour. Then the next.

I think what we are really speaking to is The Rust Belt region need a good shot of industrial revitalization. We as a country are quick to point a finger, but has anyone thought about a long term solution.

How many factory jobs left Wisconsin since Nafta and the out sourcing of America. Yes the world has become automated, but we can do that in States just like the Great State of Wisconsin.

Now things have changed. We are talking about bring back a $20,00 per hour job with benefits. Verses fighting over a Mall Job.

Think About it.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 PM

17,504 posts, read 9,323,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No where in this article did it claim people thought Walker was king or that he had the power to raise the minimum wage himself.

Any chance to take a dig at those you disagree with i guess.
The point is ..... there is a process by law to address any violation of the Wisconsin Law. Each of these people who think they are victims of un-fair Labor practice should follow the law. File paperwork against their employers and let the State Board "fix" this. Could it possibly be that there are no "verified complaints"? Time will tell.

Quote:
The “living wage” law, which Rickman said is unique to Wisconsin, requires the Department of Workforce Development, after receiving a “verified complaint,” to investigate and determine within 20 days “whether there is a reasonable cause to believe that the wage paid to any employee is not a living wage.”
The Article in the Original Post has this headline:

Low Wage Workers Confront Scot Walker, Accuse Wisconsin of Breaking the Law

My point is .... Scot Walker can't just circumvent the Law and give these people what they are demanding - There IS a State Law and it lays out the process. It doesn't have anything to do with Governor Walker. He didn't pass that law and he does not have the power to ignore the Statutes.
Obama claims he can use his "Pen & Phone" to enact US Law without Congress and raise the Minimum Wage - Obama thinks he is a King that doesn't need any Congressional Laws or Authority. He proved that once again by dropping bombs on his 7th Country since he was elected.

What exactly is the point of "confront Scot Walker" when he has nothing to do with any of this?
It's a Political Ploy in an Election Year and low-information sheeple will continue to beat the Union agenda drums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies