Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Read "Striking Back"
Striking Back: The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's Deadly Response by Aaron J. Klein
to get a picture about what such might have to be about.

One could probably conclude that those of Israel are more severe than others, but this book rather shows that it is not as easy as one might think.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:47 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
And how do you communicate? In English? Do they understand?
Couldn't it be that they are with the insurgents? It is sad indeed but it makes no sense nonetheless.
I have lived with Muslims. They have a strict indoctrination towards their faith. Which means at the end of the day they will have an allegiance to their faith come what may. Yes, the children need to be saved, and even women and many innocent men. But that is my point. With such technological prowess and an intellect to match there should be an answer. I don't know.....gather them all and sort them out? Have a chain of spies working for you? I am just giving examples based on my understanding which is very basic.
In the military you have a translater that travels with you that speaks the language. Maybe the best bet it just to contain them to their region of the world but then are you gonna deny any one that looks muslim into your country. Tough to deal with.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Why couldn't the British Army, the best in the world, beat a group of dysfunctional colonials led by an officer who wasn't good enough to earn even a commission in the British Army?

Old 09-28-2014, 01:12 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Because as much as the liberal politically correct propagandist would have us to believe there aren't "small" pockets of "extreme" Islam.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Because as much as the liberal politically correct propagandist would have us to believe there aren't "small" pockets of "extreme" Islam.
Despite what the Neo-Confused would have us believe it WAS NOT worth attempting to bring democracy to the Muslims in Iraq which accomplished little but GROWING the size of those pockets of extreme Islam..

And if these people choose to declare themselves our enemy and threaten our country, why do they deserve a trial?

Last edited by burdell; 09-28-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 03:18 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Why can't we destroy them? Two reasons.

1) They are not the mob. They are not a nation. They are an ideological force. There is no substantial difference between the Taliban, Al Queada, Hamas, or ISIS. They are all the same thing under different names. Because it's based on an idea, we can't just kill it. Unlike the mob, killing their leaders will not send them into mass distress.

2) We fund them. We are short term thinkers. When we have an enemy, we make friends with others who share that enemy, not matter how ideologically different we are from them. We did this with Stalin, we did this with Osama, and we did this with Syrian rebels. Stop funding things we wouldn't normally trust and half the problem will be solved.
And there is something else to consider. It was mentioned that killing some on public TV would send a message. I disagree. Anytime you have terrorists blowing themselves up, that is frightening. Similar thing with Japanese soldiers in World War II. There was a code of "no surrender". Many soldiers committed suicide rather than risk capture. It took Emperor Hirohito telling the troops to stop for them to surrender. They would do anything for the Emperor. This time around, as you say, it is an ideological force. Same mentality, but taking the leader out won't work. Publicly killing someone and putting it on TV, well, it won't work. When I was much younger(around age 15), I used to say we should find Bin-Laden and publicly execute him. Today, I think about it and understand that doing that might boost morale in the USA, but it is ineffective. We're dealing with those who are willing to die for an ideology as well as kill. Many do both at the same time. Suicide bombing is essentially mass murder-suicide. This is why public executions won't send the message.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You can't bomb away religion.
Religion has very little to do with it other than to make it more difficult to address the real causes of terrorism. When the needs I mentioned are satisfied, religion fades into the background as has happened with Christianity in affluent nations. The way to defeat terrorism is to bring economic prosperity. It's easier said than done, and religion makes it more difficult as well.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:05 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Am I the only one that noticed that this is an exact duplicate, by the same poster of another thread?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:10 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
And how do you communicate? In English? Do they understand?
Couldn't it be that they are with the insurgents? It is sad indeed but it makes no sense nonetheless.
I have lived with Muslims. They have a strict indoctrination towards their faith. Which means at the end of the day they will have an allegiance to their faith come what may. Yes, the children need to be saved, and even women and many innocent men. But that is my point. With such technological prowess and an intellect to match there should be an answer. I don't know.....gather them all and sort them out? Have a chain of spies working for you? I am just giving examples based on my understanding which is very basic.
Our technology has limits.

One of the biggest problems we have faced from the first in Iraq is there is no technological way to distinguish friend from foe there.
When a member of ISIS removes his uniform or whatever identifying marks he has, he looks just like the completely innocent man who owns a falafel stand who lives next door. They speak the same language, act the same, and share a complete culture in common.

That's true with all guerrillas, not just ISIS. While we now have some good facial identification software, it's impossible to facially scan every anonymous citizen of Iraq. Even if this was possible, these guys move around constantly, so tracking them becomes very hard. Using facial software only compounds the problem, as they are all racially similar, so facial recognition would demand higher and higher computer power.

Unlike most guerrillas, ISIS has formed masses of military-grade troops for their attacks, so we can strike those attacks, and have, successfully. But for every measure, there is a counter-measure. ISIS can fade into the general population very fast, because that's where they live. They know the territory, while we are thousands of miles away. We are fast, but they're faster. That's a primitive counter-measure, but speed is always a big factor.

Our on the ground intelligence depends on the Iraqis and their government. We can never send in enough of our Americans to turn that around. Even an Iraqi-American is more American than Iraqi, and while they can get around, it's about as hard for ISIS to notice them as it is for us to spot a person who's lived in the South all his life in New York City.

But ISIS has a much harder time identifying a person who was born, raised, and has lived in Baghdad all his life as an agent for us or for the Iraqi government. That's why we have trainers and advisors over there; they are training Iraqis how to be effective counter-terrorists.

We are never going to win this in the traditional sense of the word. The best we can do is limit their assaults and grind them down. We can also deny them the use of heavy weaponry, which helps the speed and ferocity of their assaults.

it will end only when the radical fundamentalists of Islam so frustrated they lose heart for the fight. They will not change their beliefs, however, and will seek other ways of furthering their agenda.

The civil war in Lebanon is a good example of what could come. It started out as a fight between these fundamentalists and Lebanese moderates and lebanese Christians, and once the fighting broke out, it continued to sputter on for 10 years while Lebanon went down the drain economically. The fighting only ended when the Syrians, under Assad's father, invaded and stopped it by force. The Syrians shot at both sides equally, and took over the Lebanese government. For 10 more years, Lebanon became an unofficial Syrian territory.

Why did Syria invade? Because Lebanon was de-stabilizing Syria. The civil war kept bleeding over the border. Syria moved in before the Israelis made the move; if they hadn't Israel would have, for the same reasons.

This is the reason why the United States has allies in the Middle East opposing ISIS right now. Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (and others) realize ISIS could destabilize all those nations if they come to controlling Syria. ISIS is a renegade Sunni Muslim force, and they are attacking other Sunni nations first. This is a new development in the Middle East.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:01 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
You MIGHT be able to decimate the SuperJihad-of-the-week group.

But guess what, another group is waiting to fill the vacuum. Just be prepared to fight this on many levels via non-linear warfare.

Maybe in 10000 years the Headchoppers-of-Eye-slum will be not so insane?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies