Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM

495 posts, read 611,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL.

Simply stating this does not make it factual. Using what appears to be non biased information the richest school district is 1) Scarsdale Union Free School District, N.Y.

Now granted they pay more than the very poorest school system which is listed as 1) Barbourville Independent School District, Ky.

The average income in the top school is $238,000 and the average teacher pay is $62,108. Granted a decent wage but the average property tax is $31,000. That is well over half the teachers income after other taxes. So how well off are these teachers actually?

The average income in the Ky district is $16,607. The average teacher pay is $43,411. The medium home price is $81,000 so a teacher in that district is actually doing pretty darn well.

America’s Richest School Districts - 24/7 Wall St.

Scarsdale Union Free School District Average Teacher Salary & How to Become a Teacher

Barbourville Independent Average Teacher Salary & How to Become a Teacher

So, I will ask, is your assumptions here actually true? Where would a teacher be better off?
Teachers are always better off financially in the higher income higher taxes school district. This is because you don't have to live where you work. Almost all the affluent towns have lower tax zones not too far away. I can't think of a better example than Connecticut East of the Connecticut River vs west of the river. Now, utility is different from wealth. Sure you can be happy in the kentucky district but maximizing gross salary and then doing whatever else you need to do to control expenses, is the financial optimal solution. Also, your quality of food and recreation is enhanced embedded into the tax structure of the higher cost place of choice.... The low salary low cost mix will not afford you the same upward mobility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I actually agree with it being a problem, why don't all donations and tax dollars go into one account to be divided out based on the needs of each district. We have some affluent school systems building Multi Million dollar football stadiums while other schools are struggling to keep their roof from leaking and the school on good repair, that simply makes no sense. And for those that say their children should have an advantage I say send your kid to a private school.
Football stadiums are local bond issues and have nothing to do with school finance through property taxes.

And there's plenty of times that leaky roof is because they put it off.
I'm at a school with crappy A/C that leaks and shuts off during the day.
Did they fix it ? No, they ordered iPads and laptops for all students instead.
They'll fix it when it finally totally breaks down and some student gets sick from the heat inside the buildings.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Football stadiums are local bond issues and have nothing to do with school finance through property taxes.

They'll fix it when it finally totally breaks down and some student gets sick from the heat inside the buildings.
It also has to do with donations and those should do into the general fund. Bonds are ok to a degree, depending on what it is for.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Teachers are always better off financially in the higher income higher taxes school district. This is because you don't have to live where you work. Almost all the affluent towns have lower tax zones not too far away.
I can't think of a better example than Connecticut East of the Connecticut River vs west of the river. Now, utility is different from wealth. Sure you can be happy in the kentucky district but maximizing gross salary and then doing whatever else you need to do to control expenses, is the financial optimal solution. Also, your quality of food and recreation is enhanced embedded into the tax structure of the higher cost place of choice.... The low salary low cost mix will not afford you the same upward mobility.
Your presentation was that these wealthy school systems were paying their teachers so much better than low income systems. As my links show that is certainly not the case.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:39 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It also has to do with donations and those should do into the general fund. Bonds are ok to a degree, depending on what it is for.
If people wanted to donate to the poorer school...they would. Why should a voluntary donation to one thing be redirected to something that the person donating never intended?

Who are you to change someone's charitable mind for them?

Side note - this exact theory is why I stopped giving to United Way. Because even if you designate a specific charity, UW will redirect the donation if they feel the one you picked is doing OK and another one is not.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
LOL.

Simply stating this does not make it factual. Using what appears to be non biased information the richest school district is 1) Scarsdale Union Free School District, N.Y.

Now granted they pay more than the very poorest school system which is listed as 1) Barbourville Independent School District, Ky.

The average income in the top school is $238,000 and the average teacher pay is $62,108. Granted a decent wage but the average property tax is $31,000. That is well over half the teachers income after other taxes. So how well off are these teachers actually?

The average income in the Ky district is $16,607. The average teacher pay is $43,411. The medium home price is $81,000 so a teacher in that district is actually doing pretty darn well.

Scarsdale Union Free School District Average Teacher Salary & How to Become a Teacher

Barbourville Independent Average Teacher Salary & How to Become a Teacher

So, I will ask, is your assumptions here actually true? Where would a teacher be better off?
I was in Barbourville on Sunday and you couldn't pay me enough to live in that part of KY. There is little to nothing there - you are a hundred miles from the nearest decent sized cities (Knoxville TN and Lexington), the area has a lot of drug issues, things like broadband and maybe even municipal water are lacking.

You sometimes get what you pay for.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:13 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
In Arizona the legislature has allowed taxpayers to deduct up to $400 of their state income taxes dollar for dollar and make contributions to specific schools. The result is that in the wealthy areas parents take the $400 credit and the schools get the money and the states tax receipts are reduced. The poor areas where parents pay little or no taxes see little benefit. Building a new school happens every 50 years or so but the tax credit is a steady stream of money that goes into the wealthier school districts.

Tax-credit program helping rich Arizona schools get richer

Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

School districts issue those bonds and those are repaid with property taxes.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I was in Barbourville on Sunday and you couldn't pay me enough to live in that part of KY. There is little to nothing there - you are a hundred miles from the nearest decent sized cities (Knoxville TN and Lexington), the area has a lot of drug issues, things like broadband and maybe even municipal water are lacking.

You sometimes get what you pay for.
There are a lot of people who prefer living outside of cities. Besides, there are 9 other low income school systems on the list and th odds are the facts would be the same if you used one of them.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
School districts issue those bonds and those are repaid with property taxes.
But not the same portion of taxes that get redistributed to other schools here in Texas.
Different buckets make up our property taxes here, even for the ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies