Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US has been educating children of undocumented aliens, since forever.

In 1982, SCOTUS struck down Texas' attempts to deny and/or charge for the education of children of undocumented aliens.

Plyler v. Doe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yep. Old case that just made things a lot worse. We're SICK of having to pay for the education of those who have no business even being here in the first place. Texas should have been allowed to charge them tuition.

Most could not have paid it--so they probably would have stayed with relatives back in their home countries to attend schools there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How has that worked the last 6 years? Granted, in the big picture 6 years is nothing but the robbing of any group of the others is wrong. The reason the "wealthy" is so much wealthier today than 20 years ago has been government policies that take from the poor and middle classes to benefit the wealthy.

It would be a mistake to stop others from spending money as they wish even if only on themselves but it is not a mistake to stop the policies that are stealing from the lower classes.
so, what you are saying is: take from the rich and give to the poor, right? Some work hard for what they have, some don't want to work for anything: lets encourage those who work to support those who choose not to do anything but live off the government.

Lower class; offer a good home environment to families
stop having kids when there is no daddy around and no money
encourage kids to stay in school
read to them at an early age
show up for parent/teacher conferences and open house.
teach kids to respect their elders and respect themselves as well.
stop blaming everyone else, including the rich for what you do not have.

The rich are getting richer, that is a fact, but it isn't up to them to make sure the poor are given everything. I have seen how many, people who have a few bucks but care for others, try to help, if by doing nothing more than volunteer work. I wonder how often a poor person says "thanks for the help"

Old 10-01-2014, 01:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas has robin hood financing. All the money goes to the state and the state doles it out to school districts.
The affluent districts are complaining though; they want to keep all their money and let the poor districts figure out another way to raise money.

That is what is driving an effort to appeal robin hood financing.
Another thing the affluent school districts are doing is pooling their personal money through the PTA and hiring their own teachers for their schools.

New building and stadiums are bond issues voted on by the residents.
Any city can vote to build a new school but the financing is via municipal bonds and the poor districts just don't have good bond ratings and investors wouldn't buy them.
and when living in Texas I had a little problem with the Robin Hood policy. I do see both sides to it, I have to admit. I also had a problem with the top 10% of graduating classes were automatically admitted into the Texas university system. I saw a couple of cases of kids being accepted because they were in districts that produced very few college bound kids, who ended up flunking out by the end of the first year and other kids from some of the better school districts in the DFW area not be accepted due to over crowding.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Well it isn't in this county which was once considered the top school districts in the county and one of the wealthiest in a very liberal state with a very liberal county council. Even having the government as being part of their economy isn't helping much either:

In Montgomery schools, achievement gap widens in some areas, drawing criticism - The Washington Post

That's not to say spending money on schools is all wrong. But in the case for this county, it may have to do with cultural behaviors towards education.
The US has historically been average when compared to education in other developed countries. This is remarkable given the historical and ongoing diversity of the US student population.

As I understand it, students in the NYC school system speak almost 200 different languages.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Tuition and Fees | Latin School of Chicago

1/2 day pre K - $23, 500/yr.

These schools are bargains compared to the elite schools on the east coast where tuition runs about $50,000 a year, beginning in first grade.

All have wait lists a mile long.

I don't begrudge those who have the means........
Nor I. But I would support more of these same educational opportunities for the rest of us.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yep. Old case that just made things a lot worse. We're SICK of having to pay for the education of those who have no business even being here in the first place. Texas should have been allowed to charge them tuition.

Most could not have paid it--so they probably would have stayed with relatives back in their home countries to attend schools there.
Conversely, or just stayed home, ( in the US) unsupervised, while their parent (s) worked.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
And they ARE denied. Many chose certain districts quite awhile back, only to find out that some things remained unfunded because of the money that had to be turned over for redistribution.

I know of two districts in particular--my own home county, which is considered a property-rich district. The amount of money that they couldn't keep was just appalling. It made me sick. The other district was the one that my sister taught in for many years not far from Austin. That district had to cut back on programs for the same reason--redistribution.

One thing that would help our Texas schools enormously would be to not have to provide a free education for illegals and other non-citizens. If they could take this off the table, we'd be much, much better off. These students should have to return to their own countries for their education.
You didn't name those school districts. But a well run "rich" school district still has enough money to do damn near anything they want. Eanes ISD in Austin sends 47% of its M&O property tax revenue out of district. Eanes is one of the best school districts in Texas and is one of the richest with over $1M of property wealth per student.

Lake Travis ISD in Austin sent 38% of its M&O revenue out of district in 2014. Yet LTISD is usually regarded as 2nd best in Austin after Eanes and continues to excel. Its facilities are excellent.

A smartly run school district in Texas should know how to maximize its tax dollars. They should shift as many expenses as allowed by law to the bond side of finances, which are protected from Robin Hood.

If your school district can't fund what is needed, I suggest they are not well run or they are just extravagant and spending money on the wrong things.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:02 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
I'm not rich, but I do spend money on workbooks for my children. I don't own any videogames, dvd's, Ipad, cell phone for kids, just extra books, most of which are not expensive. Also, we use youtube for various subjects which is free.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so, what you are saying is: take from the rich and give to the poor, right?
I said nothing of the sort. Not even close. Nothing I said even comes close to that.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmmm...So what about the (supposed) axiom that "throwing more money at education doesn't work?"

Granted, conservatives are who I hear saying this most of the time...but folks say it as if it's the gospel.
Throwing money at education doesn't work.

Tell me how buying the most expensive laptop there is will educate an apathetic student with a teacher only concerned about the average standardized test scores of the class and parents that have zero involvement with their child's education?

Washington DC is nearly at the top for per student spending and nearly at the bottom in terms of graduation rates. Why hasn't the money put them at the top?

Why does Finland spend the same as the US average per student but their students are ranked the highest in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies