Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times

Advertisements

Sounds like incompetence going on here. That is like buying a Jaguar, and having it delivered, but you get a Corolla instead. No pun intended. Put yourself in her shoe, is she getting what was in her signed contract, she is expecting one thing and getting something else. Sure we can all have our opinions on this matter. Something went terribly wrong, and someone needs to be held accountable. Appears these days, no one is.
She should not be forced to raise a child, she does not have a connection with, this could make for bad parenting.

She did not ask for a biracial child, but white. There are many issues with raising a biracial child. You want to make sure the Parent has a loving relationship with this child, not a child a Mother will resent, what good is that.

Living with fear and anxieties is never good. Said that they both bonded with the child, but deep down, I am not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:20 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't see the conundrum. There is no "on the other hand" here. There is no such thing as "so what if she didn't get what she ordered". It's a business contract. Contracts are binding. There's no "so what" about it.

I mean seriously. You walk into a restaurant and order a meal. They bring out a completely different meal. That's "so what if you didn't get what you ordered?" If you order a new car and they deliver a completely different model is that "so what"?

The only thing that makes it a conundrum here is political correctness. Since the baby is half black, you open yourself up to charges of racism if you don't happily accept it. I mean not you personally, just "you" in general.
Clearly the article was slanting in this direction.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't see the conundrum. There is no "on the other hand" here. There is no such thing as "so what if she didn't get what she ordered". It's a business contract. Contracts are binding. There's no "so what" about it.

I mean seriously. You walk into a restaurant and order a meal. They bring out a completely different meal. That's "so what if you didn't get what you ordered?" If you order a new car and they deliver a completely different model is that "so what"?

The only thing that makes it a conundrum here is political correctness. Since the baby is half black, you open yourself up to charges of racism if you don't happily accept it. I mean not you personally, just "you" in general.
For me, the conundrum is personal - given that a contract has been breached, what is the right thing to do about it? Having watched and participated in a few legal proceedings in my time, I have come to the conclusion that just because you have the grounds to sue, doesn't mean that a suit is the best response to the breach.

I don't think political correctness has a thing to do with it. The women say they love their child, and I see no reason to doubt their sincerity. I believe that there have been incidences of sperm banks doing a poor job of screening, so some parent winds up with a child with a disability. In that case, I think it is clearly the right thing to sue, because a disabled child can need a lot of money, and why shouldn't the sperm bank pay for their mistake? In this case, though, I think there are good reasons not to sue. As someone upthread mentioned, how would you explain to the child? Because sooner or later, you know the kid will find out.

I have no definite opinion here. Just musing on the question of whether a lawsuit is the best response to their problem. The story does not say whether the bank is accepting responsibility or offering this couple anything.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-01-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
One safe guard is to actually observe the person with whom you are having sex.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
But that is not fool-proof. Plenty of couples' first clue that they have genetic problems is with their first pregnancy.

Parenthood is full of surprises, not all of them joyful.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How would this apply to this case?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:07 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Knocking one out the old fashioned way and picking sperm out of a book based on desired traits are two different things.
You are spot on
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
yeah... sorta like you order a fish fillet with mayo and they bring you chicken and grits
THIS is funny^

Old 10-01-2014, 08:10 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is absurd. At least you have a child. The people in her community need to grow up.

White Mother Sues Sperm Bank After Birth of Mixed-Race Daughter - The Root
This is justification for a lawsuit. Like most left wingers, you left out the fact that she ordered the sperm of a white man and was looking to have a white child.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
This is absurd. At least you have a child. The people in her community need to grow up.

White Mother Sues Sperm Bank After Birth of Mixed-Race Daughter - The Root
She has a valid lawsuit.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Well, she might have a case for a lawsuit, but I don't see why she would pursue it. After all, the child is her's. She's virtually neglecting her daughter. Get over it, and be a mother.
You show how simple minded left wingers are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies