Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 04:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh. Ok.

The Washington Monthly

Obama To GOP: "I Won"

10 quotes that haunt President Obama - John F. Harris and James Hohmann - POLITICO.com

President Obama to Republicans: I won. Deal with it. - The Washington Post

I know from here in Maryland you never, ever mention a Democratic officeholder's record because you'll be accused of "unfair campaigning".
That is pretty much nonsense. These deals are worked within the legislative branch not through the executive...and he did win after all...which does appear to be the thing that sticks in the right wing crop.

The illegal alien thing is the most clear. Got negotiated in the Senate but no play in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 04:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
That is all the more reason to make sure a Democrat is in the White House. The veto pen will keep the most egregious Tea Party crap from infecting the country.
Exactly, thankfully the electoral college is in the Democrat's favor right now. It is much easier for a Democrat to get to 270 than it is a Republican.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:01 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What's my point? Do you really have to ask?

Barack Obama is a worthless leader, due in part to his refusal to compromise with the GOP. Are you saying you think Hillary Clinton will compromise with the GOP? If so, what about that is particularly attractive to liberals and Democrats?
Yes, I think Hillary probably will. The prospect nauseates me, and she personally nauseates me, but perhaps Hillary supporters could shed light on this that I am unable to.

Hillary was considered unbeatable until around the middle of 2007, and the clear favorite right up to the Iowa Caucus. She lost anyway. History may repeat itself.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:11 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Unlike liberals and Democrats, I don't have a pre-selected candidate already "chosen." I reserve my choice after hearing those vying for the position speak to their platform. Conversely, Democrats and liberals could care less that Hillary Clinton is an ethically corrupt carpetbagger with nary an accomplishment that even remotely makes her a good candidate for President. You folks are already slobbering over her and you can't even explain why.

That's the difference between me, a logical, thoughtful and deliberative conservative, and liberals who are short on logic thoughtfulness and long on emotion and knee jerk history-making.
But you must have some idea of who you would like to run. If you are an avid follower of politics you already know who is vying for the nomination and what their stand is. As a democrat I hope Hillary doesn't run. I am tired of the Clintons and Bushes.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Your understanding of gerrymandering, packing, and cracking is absolutely horrendous. Absolutely horrendous. Pretty embarrassing actually that you actually think this.
Please tell what my understanding of gerrymandering, packing and cracking is?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:13 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Yes, OP, that is unfortunate and probably true. Thankfully, I suspect Hillary will be a better leader and not give-in to the feet-stompings demands of Congress.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:26 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yes, OP, that is unfortunate and probably true. Thankfully, I suspect Hillary will be a better leader and not give-in to the feet-stompings demands of Congress.

Which is exactly why President Obama hasn't been able to accomplish more, the lack of the ability to compromise. Which almost every President, who was a grown up, was able to do.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:28 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
That is pretty much nonsense. These deals are worked within the legislative branch not through the executive...and he did win after all...which does appear to be the thing that sticks in the right wing crop.

The illegal alien thing is the most clear. Got negotiated in the Senate but no play in the house.
So you're saying that the winner has no need to compromise with the minority, especially when he doesn't have a veto proof majority?

This is why only adults should be allowed to run for office. Too many dogmatists without the sense to make a deal.

You just proved what I said about "mentioning the record".

Old 10-05-2014, 04:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Which is exactly why President Obama hasn't been able to accomplish more, the lack of the ability to compromise. Which almost every President, who was a grown up, was able to do.
It still takes two to compromise. The Right Wing of the Republican House will not. And that dooms the process.

I expect this will continue until Clinton runs and her coattails will carry a demo house. And there will be bitter wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Right Wing.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:31 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Well, no other president had to deal with the Tea Party Toddlers, who sat in the corner with their fingers in their ears and refused to come out as long as Obama was in the Oval Office. Ever try to deal with a bunch of recalcitrant toddlers? That's who this president has had to deal with for six years.

Now if we could get a few grown ups to take control of the Republican party, perhaps some compromise would be possible, but no one is holding their breath for that. Even the establishment GOP can't control the toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies