Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
If man pumping CO2 is the reason for global warming, why has it slowed for the past 16 years despite the fact that emissions have stayed the same or likely risen during that same time? How come none of the CAGW cheerleaders can answer that? This was YOUR theory.
It has been answered many times...The fact that AGW deniers cherry picked 1998 as a base line, a year influenced by a strong El Nino has skewed the results....Nine of the ten hottest years recorded have occurred in this century, ice caps and glaciers are still melting and the oceans are still rising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It has been answered many times...The fact that AGW deniers cherry picked 1998 as a base line, a year influenced by a strong El Nino has skewed the results....Nine of the ten hottest years recorded have occurred in this century, ice caps and glaciers are still melting and the oceans are still rising.
Really? I guess the IPCC is an "AGW Denier" too..

"the observed global-mean surface temperature has shown a much smaller increasing linear trend over the past 15 years than over the past 30 to 60 years.”
Fifth Assessment Report - Climate Change 2013

Old 10-08-2014, 02:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Read your first source and found not only to be useless, but filled not with numbers but with lies.

2005 was the recent (last couple dozen years) peak in hurricanes worldwide, with some 53 storms.

2012 had 37, 2013 had 39. I have not yet started tabulating 2014, but I dont expect we are seeing anything out of the 35-40 range

Yet the author keeps stating that the numbers of hurricanes the past dozen years are higher than average, and the storms are more intense.

Lest some be fooled by the hype, Hurricane Sandy was never rated higher than Cat 2 and was a mere tropical storm when it hit landfall. In that year the highest rated storm in the Atlantic region was one single cat 3. The others were cat 1's and 2's

Maybe I'll read your other references. Maybe I wont. Your having led with what you did leaves me reluctant to waste my time reading yet more AGW propaganda.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:09 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
If man pumping CO2 is the reason for global warming, why has it slowed for the past 16 years despite the fact that emissions have stayed the same or likely risen during that same time? How come none of the CAGW cheerleaders can answer that? This was YOUR theory.
Last 16 have been some of the warmest in 130 years.
That bogus "last 16 years" has been debunked over and over and over and over.....

Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Last 16 have been some of the warmest in 130 years.
That bogus "last 16 years" has been debunked over and over and over and over.....

If it's bogus, why does the IPCC and NASA admit that global warming has "paused" for the past 16 years?

"according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years."

NASA Study Finds Earth?s Ocean Abyss Has Not Warmed | NASA

“the observed global-mean surface temperature has shown a much smaller increasing linear trend over the past 15 years than over the past 30 to 60 years.”

So if this is "bogus" and something that was cherry picked by deniers, why do organizations like NASA and the IPCC who have been traditionally alarmist on this issue now admit to it?

Would you like to retract that?

Once again, if CO2 causes global warming, how is it that for the past 16 years it has paused while emissions have remained the same or likely increased? The subject of this thread references that the missing heat is not sequestered in the ocean so what happened?

This doesn't invalidate or disprove AGW but it sure as hell calls it squarely into question and it sure as hell means the science isn't settled (if it ever really was).

Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Would you like to retract that?
Not in the least. We can do NASA all day.
You're referencing deep sea data

And since you're such a fan of the 5th assessment, read the whole thing. Don't just cherrypick!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:14 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
If it's bogus, why does the IPCC and NASA admit that global warming has "paused" for the past 16 years?

"according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years."

NASA Study Finds Earth?s Ocean Abyss Has Not Warmed | NASA

“the observed global-mean surface temperature has shown a much smaller increasing linear trend over the past 15 years than over the past 30 to 60 years.”

So if this is "bogus" and something that was cherry picked by deniers, why do organizations like NASA and the IPCC who have been traditionally alarmist on this issue now admit to it?.
This is why AGW threads are so frustrating.

If you slowly walk towards the edge of a cliff, it doesn't mean you're not still walking towards the edge of a cliff.

The warming has not reversed.
It continues to climb.
That means it is still happening.

NASA and IPCC have never denied that there could be buffers to warming, or that the warming is a smooth steady climb as opposed to sudden jumps in temperature. Observations point to a 'staircase' pattern, not a gradual climb.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:20 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
It increasingly appears that the AGW alarmists are the real deniers here. Just saying.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
If man pumping CO2 is the reason for global warming, why has it slowed for the past 16 years despite the fact that emissions have stayed the same or likely risen during that same time? How come none of the CAGW cheerleaders can answer that?
Because the coal plants may actually mimic volcanoes which act to cool the planet. Burning coal emits particulate matter, much like volcanoes, which causes sun light to be reflected into space. That's one theory, and in my opinion, pretty logical. With anything as complex as the planet's climate, it is probably a variety of factors.

Quote:
This was YOUR theory.
I distinctively remember you saying you were part of this theory in a thread not too long ago.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Someone didn't read or understand what they posted. This study is not saying there is no global warming. It is saying the water below 1.24 is not warming. The study is just trying to figure out why b/c the water is warming above 1.24 miles and sea levels are still rising.
Get the hell out of here! Can't be!

June 4, 2008
"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."
Most megalomaniacal line in Barack Obama's speech last night. We laughed a lot.

Did he outright lie? "Misunderstand" how serious the problem was? or is he simply a snake oil salesman?

His supporters REALLY need to wrap their heads around the guy they fell in love with.

It's a sickness....like an abused woman...."but I love him! He loves me, I know he does! He buys me nice things sometimes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies