Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
We had the Reagan recession of 1982.
The G Bush recession of 1990.
The Clinton recession of 2000.
The Bush recession of 2008.

The coming recession looks to be worse and probably is coming in 2015.

The economy still stinks & QE is ending....2015 looks like a great candidate.
I think the economy stinks too much for another recession. I think we'll continue the Obummer languishing instead. What hasn't happened is a recovery. I don't see us going head first into another recession without a recovery first. I'm hopeful that the baby boomers starting to retire will trigger a recovery. They're going to create jobs by leaving them and pump a lot of money into the economy as they start spending their retirement savings.

Of course they'll also be selling off their houses which could cause another housing market decline but they'll take their profits and spend them eventually. I certainly would not invest in new housing construction right now. As baby boomers down size a lot of older homes will come on the market. If I were a builder, I'd be building codos not single family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 01:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Anybody who's familiar with the business cycle knows that recessions occur every 7-8 years. The last recession started in the last quarter of 2007, so as a historically expected that there will be a recession in 2015-16'. What's even more alarming is that we haven't even fully recovered from the last recession. Europe has a recession looming in the first quarter of the year according to experts.
Uh; we NEVER really came out of the 2007 recession IMHO. I say that because so many of us can't find jobs, especially older people.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Didn't say it was, 82 was considerably worse though.
Word was 1982 was rough but, it didn't hang around real long.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:57 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYW5OGWfqJc

Old 10-12-2014, 02:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
I'm certainly not but I do agree that our political and economic leaders pretend ignorance.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It was rough but we were well into a solid recovery within a few years. Inflation was the killer back in '82. That and interest rates. . A recovery is what never happened under Obama. It's like we were shot in the foot and have been left to limp along. If you kept your job through the 2008 recession you did ok. If you didn't, you were in trouble. It was a very divided recession. Some people didn't even realize a recession happened other than their house value went down. Others lost everything and have never recovered.

I know several people let go in their 40's and 50's who have not found work after 7 years. Those who are old enough have started drawing reduced SS benefits because there is no work for them and there are no more UI benefits. Others have done what I did and changed professions. I knew there was no way I'd find an engineering job when I was let go in 2007. At 55 there's no way I could find one now and SUPPOSEDLY we have a shortage of engineers (we don't but they keep saying we do - I hear, from recruiters, that there are hundreds of applicants for every opening these days).

Old 10-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It was rough but we were well into a solid recovery within a few years. Inflation was the killer back in '82. That and interest rates. . A recovery is what never happened under Obama. It's like we were shot in the foot and have been left to limp along. If you kept your job through the 2008 recession you did ok. If you didn't, you were in trouble. It was a very divided recession. Some people didn't even realize a recession happened other than their house value went down. Others lost everything and have never recovered.

I know several people let go in their 40's and 50's who have not found work after 7 years. Those who are old enough have started drawing reduced SS benefits because there is no work for them and there are no more UI benefits. Others have done what I did and changed professions. I knew there was no way I'd find an engineering job when I was let go in 2007. At 55 there's no way I could find one now and SUPPOSEDLY we have a shortage of engineers (we don't but they keep saying we do - I hear, from recruiters, that there are hundreds of applicants for every opening these days).
I'm 1 of those who lost it all around 2008. I'll be 50 real soon working odd jobs and things are getting real bad.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post

To make the correction in the 80's, interest rates were around 22%, It only lasted a few years and I was still busy framing houses.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Anybody who's familiar with the business cycle knows that recessions occur every 7-8 years. The last recession started in the last quarter of 2007, so as a historically expected that there will be a recession in 2015-16'. What's even more alarming is that we haven't even fully recovered from the last recession. Europe has a recession looming in the first quarter of the year according to experts.
"We" are not.

What have you done to protect your assets and investments?

I bailed on this market at Dow 10,500 and ha money in cash and hard assets. I have really never had any faith in paper assets. I like to be able to stand on and look at investments.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,002 times
Quote:
Did we recover at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies