Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
This road we've been traveling on is not going to end anywhere good.

Only question is when does the music stop and how big is the crash?
Looking all around I would say there will be a losing of the seat fairly soon. Those IMF reforms were supposedly put into the 2015 budget. They have been mounting increasing pressure.

Bond Anxiety in $1.6 Trillion Repo Market as Failures Soar

IMF Advocates Taking Pensions & Extending Maturities of Gov’t Debt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
It's pretty obvious, from reading the guy's letter, that he is not very bright, nor is he very realistic. No corporation is going to simply get a letter like this and suddenly start handing out pay increases.

I predict his employment future every where is not very promising.

Don

Old 10-13-2014, 07:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You are advocating to strip away the sovereignty of nations, including our very own, by supporting such actions. Nationless corporations now have a greater rate of economic power than entire nations. We now have essentially a global cabal of bankers and CEOs which act as leeches usurping the wealth created by workers and nations. Central Banks advocate and promote this behavior. And the US becomes more and more like India by the day. Sad to think we once had the largest middle class in the history of the World.

Piece o cake when one is the only game in town, as the US was, post WW2.

A low skill union worker had a shot at the lower rungs of middle class.

A returning vet had the opportunity to attend college on Uncle Sam's dime and acquire marketable skills. Many did well enough to be able to put their own kids through school.

The government took some of the risk out of mortgage lending and terms were made more favorable and affordable for the average Joe who was delighted to buy a modest home. This in turn spurred construction and urban sprawl and more construction.

Somewhere along the way, people bought into the " we're all that and more" stuff.

Despite this relative prosperity, 20% of the people lived in dire poverty. Sucked to be them. They probably did not realize the Great Depression ended.

Things began to change in the 60's. Steel was one of the first industries to feel the impact of global markets.
No reason for anyone to pay a premium for US steel so that Union Joe could continue to live a middle class lifestyle, when they could buy steel made to their specifications, elsewhere, for substantially less.
And the rest is history.

As for corporations, it's a tad to late to pull the Communism card and nationalize everything.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is unreal.

Why are regular, non executive working stiffs like yourself so quick to jump on the side of the corporate bosses?

Fire him?

Some of you are just angry that you're too gutless to ask your own bosses for a raise.

That's really all this is.
It's never a good idea to insult your boss publicly, or attempt to publicly shame your boss in to doing something, no matter the subject. If you wouldn't want your boss to do that to you, don't do it to your boss. Right now, the boss, (CEO), is the one who holds the cards, NOT this employee. Bad move on the employee's part. I don't say that because I'm sticking up for the corporate bosses, I say that because I live in reality.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's never a good idea to insult your boss publicly, or attempt to publicly shame your boss in to doing something, no matter the subject. If you wouldn't want your boss to do that to you, don't do it to your boss. Right now, the boss, (CEO), is the one who holds the cards, NOT this employee. Bad move on the employee's part. I don't say that because I'm sticking up for the corporate bosses, I say that because I live in reality.
Really, what do you care?

He's putting these guys on the spot for a change. How many people have the guts to stand up and do that? You?

So yeah, you're sticking up for the corporate bosses. Come on...admit it.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:58 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really, what do you care?

He's putting these guys on the spot for a change. How many people have the guts to stand up and do that? You?

So yeah, you're sticking up for the corporate bosses. Come on...admit it.
Exactly. This guy knows he is possibly sacrificing his position; he is creating much needed dialogue and taking a hit for the working man. He has apparently gotten many e-mails of thanks from fellow employees.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times
I took the time to read the article and still believe it was totally reasonable.

I mean let's be real here $15.00 an hour is an abysmal and disgraceful "wage" in the year 2014. That's a wage that would be good 30 years ago for crying out loud. That overtime wage should be the base wage at the least $20.00 an hour. And if the job he has requires a B.A. or other University Degree that costs thousands upon thousands of dollars then it rises up to naked exploitation to pay educated people that wage in 2014. An absolute, pitiful joke.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
They should give those profits back to the taxpayers and government who bailed their butt's out in the first place and guaranteed all of their bad mortgage bets that caused an end to Wachovia.

Also this employee is stupid. Capitalism and the open market will dictate the wages for a particular skillset. I live in a banking capital and these guys job hop here from bank to bank drawing bigger salaries. Not the CEO's fault that this guy hasn't figured that out.

Should have paid a MUCH larger fine for their drug money laundering.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
I took the time to read the article and still believe it was totally reasonable.

I mean let's be real here $15.00 an hour is an abysmal and disgraceful "wage" in the year 2014. That's a wage that would be good 30 years ago for crying out loud. That overtime wage should be the base wage at the least $20.00 an hour. And if the job he has requires a B.A. or other University Degree that costs thousands upon thousands of dollars then it rises up to naked exploitation to pay educated people that wage in 2014. An absolute, pitiful joke.
The employee may or may not have a degree, but his position doesn't require one. According to the article, he processes requests from Wells Fargo customers seeking to stop debt-collection calls. He needs to switch fields because that job can be done in India.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Our CEO actually gave about 40 of us the very opportunity to do just this this morning.
Everyone knew better to not take that path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies