Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes. Those countries are sovereign nations. The United States has no authority or power to ban flights from those countries. So people arguing that "we" should" ban such flights are uninformed and irrational. And yes, one person from Liberia came down with Ebola while in the United States. And our medical community had all the tools to deal with a patient with Ebola safely. The fact that our medical community made mistakes doesn't mean that it will continue to do so. And the fact that less than 1% of the populations of these countries has been infected seems to escape you. You are blithely talking about banning MILLIONS of people from travel. Not based on whether they are ill or not, but based on where they come from. Uninformed and irrational.
Do you think it 'uninformed and irrational' to ask that visas from those countries be suspended until the crisis has passed? Remember, we do require visas to visit the US from any of those countries - whether they come via Brussels or where ever. I think that is the least we could do and while it is not a 100% solution, it would greatly reduce the number of people arriving daily from those countries - which I have seen number around 150 per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No one is held accountable for their lies, blunders, stupidity today. They are arrogant to even spout what they say to us.

The nurse was put on a plane with the CDC's approval .. yet they say, Do NO Harm.. are they kidding!!

We Americans are sitting ducks.. political correctness has taken over the brains of the ruling class. Does anyone see that political correctness is killing us.
Tired of this stupid statement.
"We won't stop anyone from flying in from the infected areas".. amoeba brain mentality.

This country is run by a bunch of buffoons . Moe Larry and Curly come to mind but these guys are seriously stupid which is worse. The words of these men are pure political correctness and the reasoning ability of these men has died in their brain.

Surely NO ONE, believes that the CDC is truly this moronic???

Latest Ebola victim, a Texas healthcare worker, flew on Frontier Flt. 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas

Latest Ebola victim, a Texas healthcare worker, flew on Frontier Flt. 1143 from Cleveland to Dallas - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

U.S. health official allowed new Ebola patient on plane with slight fever

U.S. health official allowed new Ebola patient on plane with slight fever

Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did Duncan know?
Was he in denial?

According the the taxi driver, they all thought the pregnant girl was in the process of a miscarriage when they carried and transported her.
That's a convenient excuse, IMO. He probably had a good idea what was wrong with that woman. He'd been living in Liberia.

Quote:
Some nurses have a story.

The hospital may have another and are likely under their insurer's/attorney's orders to not say a word.

Then there is the truth.
Yeah, those lying nurses.

Quote:
Given their ages, it does not appear either nurse had a lot of experience, either.

I wonder how Emroy ( better protected) manages those who have direct contact with a patient's body fluids.
I wonder how labs manage those who test fluid samples and/or biops.
Those women are 26 and 29. Even with later college graduations these days, they likely have at least a few years' experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ITA! All I could think was WTF was she doing on a plane? SERIOUSLY??? She's a nurse. You'd think she'd have the common sense to not board a plane until the incubation period was over.

Yet another example of the me first attitude of our culture. Who cares if I might be carrying the plague. I want to go on my trip. If anyone else dies, she should be tried for murder. Seriously. How does a nurse not know that getting on a plane is a bad idea when you might be carrying a virus? And what's with the hospital not quarantining her? Or the CDC? So many failures here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
She KNEW she might have been exposed. You do NOT get on a plane when you KNOW you might have been exposed to something like Ebola. It takes a special kind of stupid to do that. This is a virus that KILLS over 90% of the people who get it. Logic says you wait until you're absolutely certain you did not contract it. Boarding a plane during the incubation period (remember that with most viruses the contagious period starts before you are symptomatic and as a nurse you'd think she'd know this.) is just plain reckless. Given that her symptoms started a day later, it's quite likely she was already contagious when she flew. If she spread this, she should be held legally responsible. The hospital should also be held accountable and the CDC. WTF were any of them thinking letting someone fly during the incubation period for Ebola?

Unfortunately, they now have hundreds of people who might have been exposed to track down instead of the handful who treated the man from Liberia. Any of them can become contagious at any time. One person's stupidity, make that two now as the man from Liberia lied about being exposed and flew even though he knew he'd been exposed could just start an epidemic here. I'm not even part of the medical community but I know better than to travel during the incubation period for something like Ebola. Where is the common sense?
May you never need their services.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-16-2014 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic not other posters

Old 10-16-2014, 07:44 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because such flights are imaginary.

There are no flights between the United States and the most affected countries.

I believe that American Airlines, Delta and the other large airlines should immediately announce non-stop service between Liberia, Sierre Leone, Guinea and the United States.

Then, said airlines should immediately announce that all service between those countries and the USA have been stopped.

That will calm down some people.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:46 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That will calm down some people.
How about Obama saying we are stopping all Visa's and travel from the Hot Zone Countries ?

That would be something constructive that actually will calm people down.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I don't find this to be a laughing matter. They've closed two local schools here in northeast Ohio, as one of the staff members was on a Frontier Airlines flight. While that person wasn't on the plane with the nurse, that person may have been on the same plane in a later flight. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution!
That is going overboard.

On the other hand, given we aren't sure what the "error in protocol" was with the two Dallas nurses, and the one was even told by the CDC she was just fine to fly, the below link is troubling. He is, after all, the president of the United States, and we go to incredible lengths/expenses to assure his safety. Can you imagine if it turned out one of those nurses had an oops with the protocol and just didn't have a high enough fever to be considered concerning enough yet? Holy cow.

Obama: ‘I hugged and kissed’ medical staff treating an Ebola patient — and ‘felt perfectly safe doing so’ - The Washington Post

Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How about Obama saying we are stopping all Visa's and travel from the Hot Zone Countries ?

I think the issue is that some people don't understand how travel works to and from countries where you are required to have a visa. Simply by suspending the issuance of new visas (and current ones) from the affected countries, this would effectively stop travel from those areas. Not a 100% solution but one that would seriously curb the future 'Duncans', who traveled here on a tourist visa.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

I have actually agreed to that sentiment on several occasions herein (at least, not issuing new visas and cancelling those issued, save for officials from those countries). That is something that President Obama can and should consider doing.

My argument (as well as others) are those who keep yapping about 'banning all flights' out of those countries, which is simply silly. We (USA) do not control those countries and cannot tell them to ban flights out to France, Belgium, etc.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Looks like some of our major newspapers have less faith in this administration than a lot of you folks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/e...icle-1.1975851

In U.S., an Ebola crisis of confidence - LA Times

With the administration's sloppy response this mess, it's no wonder people feel this way Americans want flight restrictions from Ebola countries. And it’s not close. - The Washington Post

Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Do you think it 'uninformed and irrational' to ask that visas from those countries be suspended until the crisis has passed? Remember, we do require visas to visit the US from any of those countries - whether they come via Brussels or where ever. I think that is the least we could do and while it is not a 100% solution, it would greatly reduce the number of people arriving daily from those countries - which I have seen number around 150 per day.
Everything is reactionary at this point. The cdc is chasing the tail of this virus around the country. They should have implemented proactive protection measures long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies