Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 06:40 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,012,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
No it is not excuses it is reality not everyone has the same opportunities, intelligence luck to get ahead and if you can not see this you are just choosing ignorance. If you really knew people you would know that some people just can only do basic jobs.I know I have worked been friends with these kind of people. Show me evidence that not intelligent people are getting ahead just you saying it proves nothing. You can go on with your fairy tail ideal of the world that everyone can just do better.
I get it. There's no getting through to some people. They will go their grave blaming society, opportunity and luck for the fact that they are failures.

Some people can only do basic jobs. But many people are only WILLING to do basic jobs. How many times have I heard people say that they don't want a management position because they can't handle the responsibility or long hours. Or they spend their off time watching tv or hanging out with friends instead of doing something to improve their skills. Or spend all their money on tattoos and piercings, then wonder why they can't find a job because of the way they look.

Are you really saying that unless you are super intelligent you should be able to sit back and let the government take care of you, either by passing laws to force others to pay you a wage that you feel is "fair", or by giving you entitlements because you refuse to do what it takes to earn more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
Quote:
No it is not excuses it is reality not everyone has the same opportunities, intelligence luck to get ahead and if you can not see this you are just choosing ignorance. If you really knew people you would know that some people just can only do basic jobs.I know I have worked been friends with these kind of people. Show me evidence that not intelligent people are getting ahead just you saying it proves nothing. You can go on with your fairy tail ideal of the world that everyone can just do better.
Well I guess nationalizing companies so that the government can be the employer of all and set those "fair and livable wages" is what you should be advocating.

That's called communism.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,533,642 times
Quote:

??? So a kid left to rot in a playpen by drug-addled parents (e.g. minimal interaction and no mental or intellectual stimulation) has the same opportunities as a kid whose parents are actively engaged in the chiild's development? I've been told that I did not talk until was four.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:53 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,432,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
ummm, I guess you don't consider a massive rise in the minimum wage as a factor in the economic outcome you cite. The loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs due to a 40% rise in the minimum wage? Perhaps a factor?

It is hilarious that you can totally ignore the raw, bare, inescapable fact that when you raise the price of something, less of it gets used--and then say that some other person has no clue.

Supply and demand. Look it up.
You have a very tenuous grasp of the concept of cause and effect. we've got dozens of examples of minimum wage rising and no sudden problem. But then you pint to 2009 and claim its from the minimum wage increase. Ignoring the whole recession issue that was caused when housing collapsed.

Im quite familiar with supply and demand, and how you are attempting to correlate it to a far more complex topic without understanding that its not that straightforward as the increased pay at the low end causes more demand......

Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,424,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You have a very tenuous grasp of the concept of cause and effect. we've got dozens of examples of minimum wage rising and no sudden problem. But then you pint to 2009 and claim its from the minimum wage increase. Ignoring the whole recession issue that was caused when housing collapsed.

Im quite familiar with supply and demand, and how you are attempting to correlate it to a far more complex topic without understanding that its not that straightforward as the increased pay at the low end causes more demand......
Saying the increased pay causes more demand is like mandating a doubling of the price of hamburger, and expecting the ranchers and packing house workers and everyone else in that food chain to spend more money at McDonalds so to create zero net impact.

It would be just as logical to expect unicorns to show up with $100 bills impaled on their horns.

The decreased number of hours worked after a minimum wage increase offset the alleged demand increase from the higher wage per hour.

And all this is silly anyway, since every job in the land is filled at a wage that is mutually agreeable to the employer and employee already. Criminalizing the sale of low-skill labor for its market value is hurtful to those who can least afford your misguided good intentions.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
Quote:

Can Walmart afford to give their 140 million US workers a 200% raise to $15/hour ?
That's $15K a year for each worker.

Sure Walmart made $17 billion last year but that was global, not US.
The US accounts for 63% so that would be $10 billion.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:13 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,424,106 times
Quote:
,..........................the increased pay at the low end causes more demand......
.....which is just great if you are selling beer, twinkies, scratch-off lottery tickets or tattoos.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Economic Policy Institute, a think tank focused on labor issues found that if the minimum wage were increased from its current level of $7.25 per hour to $10.10, as proposed by the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2014, more than 1.7 million Americans would no longer have to rely on public assistance programs. This would produce $7.6 billion per year or more in savings for the federal government, according to the study.

$10.10 Minimum Wage Would Save The U.S. Government $7.6 Billion A Year
I don't think many people who really think this theory though would buy it. First of all: raising min wage would make product increase in cost thus cost of living would increase. So it would not help those on or off welfare. 2-most people working for min wage are not the main bread winners in the family. Why is this so hard for people to understand. Most of these jobs are being held by part time workers, including young people just entering the work force. and 3-Do you have any idea who what the Economic Policy Institute really is? 4-for those who might be the family bread winner and only earning min wage, they obviously do not have skills to move into better jobs.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Saying the increased pay causes more demand is like mandating a doubling of the price of hamburger, and expecting the ranchers and packing house workers and everyone else in that food chain to spend more money at McDonalds so to create zero net impact.

It would be just as logical to expect unicorns to show up with $100 bills impaled on their horns.

The decreased number of hours worked after a minimum wage increase offset the alleged demand increase from the higher wage per hour.

And all this is silly anyway, since every job in the land is filled at a wage that is mutually agreeable to the employer and employee already. Criminalizing the sale of low-skill labor for its market value is hurtful to those who can least afford your misguided good intentions.
You refuse to acknowledge the past history of this then? Instead you are going to ignore history and keep trying to claim nonsense about unicorns? Thats not a response, thats gibbering to yourself with no data repeating some meme you heard.

Why do states with higher minimum wages have lower unemployment?

Do you have any evidence of these decreased hours you talk of? Heres a clue-the average number of hours worked by Americans is not exactly low. Some relevant numbers here:
The U.S. is the Most Overworked Nation in the World

And no its not "silly anyway" as you put it. We have a minimum wage for a reason. The "mutually agreeable" part makes it sound like the people at minimum wage think they're actually getting a reasonable wage. LOL. Or that there is some equal bargaining power between the minimum wage worker and the employer. Heres a clue....there is, its called a minimum wage. You seem to object to people bargaining this way, you literally are objecting to one side bargaining this way.....you prefer the way where the minimum wage folks don't have any power in the negotiation.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think many people who really think this theory though would buy it. First of all: raising min wage would make product increase in cost thus cost of living would increase. So it would not help those on or off welfare. 2-most people working for min wage are not the main bread winners in the family. Why is this so hard for people to understand. Most of these jobs are being held by part time workers, including young people just entering the work force. and 3-Do you have any idea who what the Economic Policy Institute really is? 4-for those who might be the family bread winner and only earning min wage, they obviously do not have skills to move into better jobs.
Please feel free to deominstrate minimum wage increases and their related inflation numbers.

Heres a clue-it DOES exist but its so slight its hard to actually demonstrate. This would absolutely help those on welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies