Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The point is, why would blacks attack each other just because they think another black isn't "acting like a black should"? That's what I translate it to mean when someone calls a black person 'Uncle Tom'. I've seen it several times. I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I was participating in a comment section on YouTube that was started by a black guy, who was saying he was no longer enchanted with the clown in the WH. This man has been called every name you can imagine, including "Uncle Tom". Why? He's not acting "black right" because he doesn't feel the same way about Obama anymore?

Again, it's the dumbest thing I've heard. Why on earth would you tell someone of your own race that they aren't acting the way you think someone in that race should act? WTH is that?

If you want to argue that you think he's dumb and being brainwashed by Conservatives, go ahead, (although he's not a Conservative, he just doesn't like Obama anymore), if you want to tell him he knows nothing about politics, if you want to tell him that he should stop watching "faux news" (which he says he doesn't), fine. But to tell him he's not acting "black the right way" is simply stupid. Are individual black people not allowed to have individual thoughts without being considered "sell outs"? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Sell out of WHAT?
And what do you make of the term "N"-Lover? Isn't that a term applied to whites - by whites to indicate that a white man is not acting the way they think he should toward blacks? Why is it that so many think they have the authority - or standing - to call out the actions of another race (or member thereof) without looking first in their own back yard - or recognizing it is just a human thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
"Mute point" is not a misspelling either. "Mute" is the correct spelling of an English word. "Mute point," like "Uncle Tom" is just a malapropism often used by people who don't know better. It's a very similar error.

Why do I care? I really don't. I know that posting here on CD is not going to stop people from misusing language, whether 'mute point,' or 'Uncle Tom.' If one in 1000 who misuses 'Uncle Tom' is inspired to actually read the book and learn it's true meaning, that's enough for me.
Yes, "Mute" is a word but not together with "point." It is "Moot Point." Anyway, we use the meaning of words as they are today. This is actually a very large field. If you are interested, you can find a lot of info on it. Not just in regards to Uncle Tom but many other phrases and words.

It is a good book. I read it years ago. I suggest you re-read some of the responses. There were some really good ones that explained this to you. Good luck and good night.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:15 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
And what do you make of the term "N"-Lover? Isn't that a term applied to whites - by whites to indicate that a white man is not acting the way they think he should toward blacks? Why is it that so many think they have the authority - or standing - to call out the actions of another race (or member thereof) without looking first in their own back yard - or recognizing it is just a human thing?
I don't use that term, and I do tell white people how stupid they sound when they say it. Maybe you should stop making assumptions about what I do or don't do.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:

Why do I care? I really don't.
Then why the hell did you even START this thread if you don't care?

Good lord...

Old 11-14-2014, 10:45 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
I don't use that term, and I do tell white people how stupid they sound when they say it. Maybe you should stop making assumptions about what I do or don't do.
I never said you use that term. And I am not making assumptions about you. I am pointing out that you are throwing rocks in a glass house.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Then why the hell did you even START this thread if you don't care?

Good lord...
Just for fun and curiosity. Good lord, do you not ever do things just for fun?

I see all these people misusing the phrase 'Uncle Tom.' If one 1 out of 1000 is inspired to actually read this beautiful book, that's enough for me, and that is the extent of my caring.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:

I see all these people misusing the phrase 'Uncle Tom.' If one 1 out of 1000 is inspired to actually read this beautiful book, that's enough for me, and that is the extent of my caring.
Fun and curiosity...? That's your excuse. Fun and curiosity? Given the responses and general thoughts of people who do say "But in the NOVEL...", this doesn't even remotely come off as "fun".

If you're going to say to people "misusing" the phrase "Uncle Tom" (and the fact that it is a PHRASE and not the actual character people are alluding to when they use the term should be enough for you not to ask in the first place) then you may as well do the same for the f-word.

And I'm not talking about Fornicating Under Common Knowledge...

Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:

As mentioned by others, the phrase is NOT "being misused". In spite of the fact that the name was taken from a "positive' character, there is NO evidence the the term "Uncle Tom" was EVER used (as a descriptive phrase) to describe someone like the Uncle Tom in the book. As near as I can tell the phrase (when used to describe someone) was ALWAYS used as a negative description of someone who turned on his own people for his own benefit. That's because the "Uncle Tom" descriptive phrase was NEVER about the Uncle Tom in the book, but rather about the "Uncle Toms" (there were many of them) who cropped up in racist anti-black plays lampooning Stowes' original character. THOSE characters are the ones the phrase "Uncle Tom" is referring to - NOT Stowes' Uncle Tom - consequently the phrase is not being misused. It's a shame that the phrase didn't originate in a positive manner about Stowes original Uncle Tom, but that's just the way it is.
The descriptive phrase "Uncle Tom" does not refer to Stowes' Uncle Tom - and never did.

Ken

Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
The point is, why would blacks attack each other just because they think another black isn't "acting like a black should"? That's what I translate it to mean when someone calls a black person 'Uncle Tom'. I've seen it several times. I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I was participating in a comment section on YouTube that was started by a black guy, who was saying he was no longer enchanted with the clown in the WH. This man has been called every name you can imagine, including "Uncle Tom". Why? He's not acting "black right" because he doesn't feel the same way about Obama anymore?

Again, it's the dumbest thing I've heard. Why on earth would you tell someone of your own race that they aren't acting the way you think someone in that race should act? WTH is that?

If you want to argue that you think he's dumb and being brainwashed by Conservatives, go ahead, (although he's not a Conservative, he just doesn't like Obama anymore), if you want to tell him he knows nothing about politics, if you want to tell him that he should stop watching "faux news" (which he says he doesn't), fine. But to tell him he's not acting "black the right way" is simply stupid. Are individual black people not allowed to have individual thoughts without being considered "sell outs"? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Sell out of WHAT?
This is no different than the name calling that goes on here our the silly us of banana and coconut used by some about other races. I'm not going to stand up for it, as I'm not big on name calling. I assume that the label is less about acting as a black person "should" act and more about their beliefs or what they stand for. That is probably what the name calling means. Did the guy only call him uncle Tom with no further explanation? If so, then I really don't get the confusion as this person is obviously a person of few words who needs to better articulate themselves.

I believe the Uncle Tom label is a lazy way of saying that someone doesn't believe that what the other person is doing is for the benefit of black people.. It's not like their is one way to act black and it's not like every black person is the sole definer of what being black is so I'm not sure why you're so invested in the words of a few or even a bunch of black people about a few other people . I guess we pick our causes. I'm less invested in that than the many other stereotypes and half truths lobbed around about black people as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies