Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:09 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times

Advertisements

This situation is going to end up happening to a lot of people.....there's no smoke and mirrors, lies, ommisions or anything else to what I'm saying...see for yourself.

Under either the the house or the senate bills being proposed in congress, employers that currently do not provide insurance to the employees, will have to or pay a penalty. In some cases that only applies if the employer has more than 25 or more employees....on another version it's 50 or more employees and on the others the penaltyies apply regardless of how few employees they have. In one version it specifies that the employer must offer it to part-time employees too.

The penalties vary...in one case it's 8% of the annual payroll...in another it's 8% but, only if the payroll is more than $500,000....in another, a maximum (I guess that means it could be less) of $400 if they have more 50 employees and in two others it's $750 (in one of those that applies only if they have more than 25 employees).

All these penalties look like there going to be less (a lot less in most cases) to have to pay, than to start providing coverage for everyone. There are small businesses that don't offer it because, they can't afford to offer it even if they have the desire to offer it.

If the employer doesn't offer coverage to it's employees, how is any of this going to help any of these employees get covered if they can't afford it now on their own? It's not....it's not going to help at all, in fact it may result in some people losing their jobs or at the very least not getting a raise for awhile (because the employer will have to pay penalties now). It's going to put money into the system to help pay for those that can't afford it but, that's only those that qualify for Medicaid. Under the house plan that's less than $15,245 if single but, if childless you don't qualify...under the senate, it's less than $16,245 (although on one version here, you can qualify if childless and single but, you have to make less than $14,404). None of these people will qualify for that though, they're incomes will be too high (with few exceptions, if any).

The bottom line is, these employer penalties are going to end up coming out of the pockets low income earners to help the government pay for Medicaid (for pretty the same people it's already providing it for) and they're all going to get nothing in return!

Try this link, it's interactive:

The top news headlines on current events from Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 AM

432 posts, read 605,271 times
it's all really simple... pass one of these dem hc bills..

and say hello to "The Greatest Depression"

Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
Very astute analysis. There is additional analysis that indicates passage of either plan will increase illegal immigration to Tier 2 occupations. No longer will the illegal just take the menial jobs, but rather those jobs in the $14 to $20 an hour range. They will have an immediate 10% advantage over their legal counterpart. Dems are so stupid. Their good intentions blindside their ability to think analytically.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
In my example, I forgot about the penalty individuals/families will have to pay if they don't cover themselves. That's another 2.5% of their annual income they'll have to pay directly to the government unless they can show hardship (I'm not sure what that will be considered). Even if they can prove hardship though that just exempts them from having to pay the 2.5% penalty, their employer still has to pay penalties and they'll still have no coverage.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:23 PM

432 posts, read 605,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
In my example, I forgot about the penalty individuals/families will have to pay if they don't cover themselves. That's another 2.5% of their annual income they'll have to pay directly to the government unless they can show hardship (I'm not sure what that will be considered). Even if they can prove hardship though that just exempts them from having to pay the 2.5% penalty, their employer still has to pay penalties and they'll still have no coverage.

what about homeless people? people that don't make any income whatsoever, and don't even have an address?

do those people just get thrown in jail? if not, why can they use the system for free while everyone else has to pay?

the idiot libs are going to be in for a shock if this gets made law.. they will have created an even poorer middle class and even poorer poor... if only they had a brain...

Old 11-06-2009, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
They will also allow illegals to buy insurance with their own money.
Now as far as subsidizing them..how can they possibly verify income if these people are illegal ?
I didn't see mention of subsidies but most of the illegals are not wealthy and buying insurance may be out of the question.

Will the illegals be fined if it's mandatory ? I still can't get my head around the US government giving subsidized health care to people illegally living in this country

Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Very astute analysis. There is additional analysis that indicates passage of either plan will increase illegal immigration to Tier 2 occupations. No longer will the illegal just take the menial jobs, but rather those jobs in the $14 to $20 an hour range. They will have an immediate 10% advantage over their legal counterpart. Dems are so stupid. Their good intentions blindside their ability to think analytically.

Illegal immigrants already take the jobs that pay $14-20 and more. This Demoncrat monstrosity will also make more illegal immigrants flood across the brder. Left wingers rally behind anything they think is a free handout without seeing the future. It's like they have never progessed past childhood.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Quote:
It's not....it's not going to help at all, in fact it may result in some people losing their jobs or at the very least not getting a raise for awhile (because the employer will have to pay penalties now).
Finally ... people are getting it.

As a small business owner I've had folks asking why I would be shutting down after Jan 1, 2010.

People all over still don't get what this Health Care deal is going to do to small business. Small business is a "driving force" in our economy (60%), next to the consumer (70%).

Health Care Reform and Cap and Trade will be the death nell for small business across the entire nation.

This current administration isn't the least bit interested in creating/saving jobs ..

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Finally ... people are getting it.

As a small business owner I've had folks asking why I would be shutting down after Jan 1, 2010.

People all over still don't get what this Health Care deal is going to do to small business. Small business is a "driving force" in our economy (60%), next to the consumer (70%).

Health Care Reform and Cap and Trade will be the death nell for small business across the entire nation.

This current administration isn't the least bit interested in creating/saving jobs ..
But you own a business. You are rich. And besides you can just pass along the cost to the consumer. LOLs.

economics 101: when a third party interferes in business they make things more expensive. The businessman has very few options. He can eat the costs, move overseas where the cost doesn't exist, slow production or go out of business. Those are the options.

This has always been true. It will always be true. Doesn't matter who the third party is. Govt or unions. They both create poverty.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
But you own a business. You are rich. And besides you can just pass along the cost to the consumer. LOLs.

economics 101: when a third party interferes in business they make things more expensive. The businessman has very few options. He can eat the costs, move overseas where the cost doesn't exist, slow production or go out of business. Those are the options.

This has always been true. It will always be true. Doesn't matter who the third party is. Govt or unions. They both create poverty.
And that is why American companies have moved their business overseas to other countries where the cost of actually making the item is cheaper. Watch it increase tenfold once this bill passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies