Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Everybody has the right to marry the person of the opposite sex of their choice.

Some people for reasons unknown but it is suspected to be a mental aberration want special rights to marry the person of the same sex.

So what happens if SCOTUS does not grant cert?
You want to marry a gay person, you want your daughter or son to marry a gay person of the opposite sex. Really? It is not a mental aberration, yet people claim to believe in a superior being without proof, what is that? Do not want to marry someone of the same sex, don't. No one is making you, but you want to force a gay person to marry a straight person.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Understand that, some judges view this as a states rights issue. Should a states people, or elected representatives be allowed to determine a definition of marriage? Some say yes, some say no. Its not always about bigotry.

Now I think gays should be able to marry, hell I think plural marriage should be legal. I actually think a federal recognition of marriage of any kind is unconstitutional. But still, its not always about bigotry to say that people of a state should be able to define marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Anything to make the liberals cringe is fine with me. They join Louisiana in upholding their bans(which were voted on by the people, only fair).

If the states vote yes on gay marriage, fine by me, but interfering with what the voters decided is wrong, which is what has been happening.
When do people get to vote on your rights? Why is it that people get to vote on the rights of homosexuals, but not on the rights of blacks or any other minority? This is a case of the voters not having the right in the first place to vote on any minorities rights.

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I suppose they could appeal en banc, but that's pretty unlikely.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2020 View Post
You are the one that made the comparison to the animal kingdom. Was trying to understand the comparison. Lots of things happen in the animal kingdom that humans don't do. That's my point. Your argument that homosexuality happens in the animal kingdom doesn't wash when you start comparing other things that happen in the animal kingdom.

Personally I don't give a rats ass who people marry or have sex with. Government shouldn't be in it. I don't get my rights from the government or a federal judge.

I'm endowed with certain rights by my creator.
Good luck with those rights from your creator, they do you no good in court or law. Did you forget that we are part of the animal kingdom?

Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2020 View Post
You are the one that made the comparison to the animal kingdom. Was trying to understand the comparison. Lots of things happen in the animal kingdom that humans don't do. That's my point. Your argument that homosexuality happens in the animal kingdom doesn't wash when you start comparing other things that happen in the animal kingdom.

Personally I don't give a rats ass who people marry or have sex with. Government shouldn't be in it. I don't get my rights from the government or a federal judge.

I'm endowed with certain rights by my creator.
The original point was that homosexuality is not some kind of aberration specific to human beings. It is true that both rape and homosexuality occur in other species of animals. The difference is that one causes severe harm to innocent beings, while the other is completely harmless, which is why the former is illegal and the latter is becoming more and more widely accepted as people begin to see it for the innocuous trait it is.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 11-06-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
So what happens if SCOTUS does not grant cert?
They will, even if many disagree.

The Supreme Court has held a long standing that marriage is a priviledge which is covered under the Declaration of Independence pursuit of happiness clause..

This happiness shouldnt be limited to just straight people.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:27 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If the Supreme Court denies cert, then straight married people will continue to enjoy special rights in states that are allowed to (and do) ban gay marriage.
Everyone has the right to marry the person of their choice from the opposite sex. What I don't understand, it must be a mental aberration on their part, is why some people want special rights to marry someone from the same sex. That has to be a mental illness. There is no other explanation.

So some places allow that illness to perpetuate.

I wonder how loud that screech of outrage will be when SCOTUS denies cert.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-07-2014 at 03:37 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Everyone has the right to marry the person of their choice from the opposite sex. What I don't understand, it must be a mental aberration on their part, is why some people want special rights to marry someone from the same sex. That has to be a mental illness. There is no other explanation.

So some places allow that illness to perpetuate.

I wonder how loud that screech of outrage will be when SCOTUS denies cert.
I still don't know what special rights you are talking about. In the places where same-sex marriage is legal, both heterosexuals and homosexuals have the right to marry either someone of the same sex or someone of the opposite sex.

The rest of your post is just foolishness.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-07-2014 at 03:37 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
They won't. It'll pass 6-3 when SCOTUS rules on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies