Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:46 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Is the right doing any better? Last time I checked, former President George W. Bush tried that "No Child Left Behind" thing. It didn't work very well.
Agreed. Bush was nothing but a Progressive/Globalist in R clothing. His sweeping Federal mandates like NCLB, his failure to address illegal immigration despite being from Texas & his love of policing the world are prime examples. I just don't see any important differences between the two parties. Republicans talk Conservative, then defend W's nonsense or choose Mitt Romney over Ron Paul. Democrats talk Liberal, then attack 7 countries in 6 years, raid legal marijuana dispensaries & develop secret kill lists of US Citizens.

Education policy is best decided at the state or district levels where educators best understand the unique challenges they face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Agreed. Bush was nothing but a Progressive/Globalist in R clothing. His sweeping Federal mandates like NCLB, his failure to address illegal immigration despite being from Texas & his love of policing the world are prime examples. I just don't see any important differences between the two parties. Republicans talk Conservative, then defend W's nonsense or choose Mitt Romney over Ron Paul. Democrats talk Liberal, then attack 7 countries in 6 years, raid legal marijuana dispensaries & develop secret kill lists of US Citizens.

Education policy is best decided at the state or district levels where educators best understand the unique challenges they face.
Thing is, there are those who want to make this about left vs right.

I tend to question decisions being made on the state or district level. Too much history. I feel like a state or a district should have only a certain amount of power. I have to consider the days of Jim Crow. The segregated schools, those were state and district decisions, not national ones. And even moreso, not everyone had a say. Blacks most certainly did not have a say in whether or not they wanted segregated schools. I have to wonder what could go on based on history. I'm saying there needs to be a certain system to keep a balance between the powers.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:

I tend to question decisions being made on the state or district level. Too much history. I feel like a state or a district should have only a certain amount of power. I have to consider the days of Jim Crow. The segregated schools, those were state and district decisions, not national ones. And even moreso, not everyone had a say. Blacks most certainly did not have a say in whether or not they wanted segregated schools. I have to wonder what could go on based on history. I'm saying there needs to be a certain system to keep a balance between the powers.
Not every state or local decision is akin to Jim Crow. Most people then and now supported Federal intervention to squelch it.

And there is a system- every single branch was involved in dismantling Jim Crow, the Executive, the Supreme Court, the Legislative, and even the military courtesy of Ike and JFK.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Valid point, but ironically it seems those segregated schools may have actually been a better fit for Blacks no? If the funding were equal, that is. Black administrators, Black teachers, Black curriculum, Black disciplinary decisions & the end results were much better than today. The % of Black students going on to college was higher, unemployment was on par with Whites, Black men were present in the home at the same rate as Whites, etc. All those positives, plus you didn't have to trust White educators.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not every state or local decision is akin to Jim Crow. Most people then and now supported Federal intervention to squelch it.

And there is a system- every single branch was involved in dismantling Jim Crow, the Executive, the Supreme Court, the Legislative, and even the military courtesy of Ike and JFK.
Agreed and it wasn't just Black people getting the shaft; till 1948 Jewish people couldn't live in certain areas and the Irish, well that wasn't real nice either.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed and it wasn't just Black people getting the shaft; till 1948 Jewish people couldn't live in certain areas and the Irish, well that wasn't real nice either.
Sorry, this does not fit the racism narrative.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Valid point, but ironically it seems those segregated schools may have actually been a better fit for Blacks no? If the funding were equal, that is. Black administrators, Black teachers, Black curriculum, Black disciplinary decisions & the end results were much better than today. The % of Black students going on to college was higher, unemployment was on par with Whites, Black men were present in the home at the same rate as Whites, etc. All those positives, plus you didn't have to trust White educators.
The fact is, funding wasn't equal. That is what Jim Crow was about. And to be honest, I don't think going back to segregated schools would curb the discipline problems. Look at some of the schools that are predominantly Black.

Number of Black students going to college was higher? That is a flat out lie. There are more Black students going to college and graduating from college now than ever before.

Absentee father rates in the Black population have always been higher than that of Whites. There are statistics to prove this. Higher out of wedlock birthrates too.

Truth is, there were far fewer positives to Jim Crow education than you want to believe. Last I checked, Black schools were not funded the same way as White schools. Black schools got the worst books, and not as good of buildings as White schools. If Jim Crow was so great, then why did so many Blacks leave the South?

Truth is, I think Blacks would have done best if they had been allowed to make their own decisions on what they would have like to see happen.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The fact is, funding wasn't equal. That is what Jim Crow was about. And to be honest, I don't think going back to segregated schools would curb the discipline problems. Look at some of the schools that are predominantly Black.

Number of Black students going to college was higher? That is a flat out lie. There are more Black students going to college and graduating from college now than ever before.

Absentee father rates in the Black population have always been higher than that of Whites. There are statistics to prove this. Higher out of wedlock birthrates too.

Truth is, there were far fewer positives to Jim Crow education than you want to believe. Last I checked, Black schools were not funded the same way as White schools. Black schools got the worst books, and not as good of buildings as White schools. If Jim Crow was so great, then why did so many Blacks leave the South?

Truth is, I think Blacks would have done best if they had been allowed to make their own decisions on what they would have like to see happen.
Funding was not equal, that's why I said "IF" funding was equal. I was pretty clear on that.

Also, when you accuse me of lying try to at least quote me correctly. I said the % of Blacks going to college was higher, not the total number. The % of Black High School graduates who went on to college was higher during Jim Crow. Without looking up the statistics, I'd bet it was higher for Whites as well.

During slavery, over 80% of all Black children lived with both parents. In 1950, 82% of Black households had both parents living in the house. Today it's 28%. The Black employment rate was not only much higher than today, but higher than that of Whites until 1950 & the implementation of the Minimum Wage (which we know factually was designed to keep Blacks out of the workforce).

I don't think Jim Crow was great. I'm for freedom. What I am saying is given the results of the White, Progressive policy's that have destroyed the Black community since it ended, maybe Jim Crow was the better option. ESPECIALLY if they'd had equal funding. You're saying you (many others say the same) don't trust White administrators & teachers to educate Blacks fairly. So, what is your solution? Do you want segregated schools or do you want to integrate the schools, but Black kids have to follow the rules like everyone else? Sadly, a large portion don't seem to be able to do that & that's because they don't have a Dad at home. Maybe, just maybe, if these kids attended Black schools, the Black male teachers/administrators could hammer home the importance of the nuclear family, because White's aren't even allowed to point out the obvious without being accused of racism.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Funding was not equal, that's why I said "IF" funding was equal. I was pretty clear on that.

Also, when you accuse me of lying try to at least quote me correctly. I said the % of Blacks going to college was higher, not the total number. The % of Black High School graduates who went on to college was higher during Jim Crow. Without looking up the statistics, I'd bet it was higher for Whites as well.

During slavery, over 80% of all Black children lived with both parents. In 1950, 82% of Black households had both parents living in the house. Today it's 28%. The Black employment rate was not only much higher than today, but higher than that of Whites until 1950 & the implementation of the Minimum Wage (which we know factually was designed to keep Blacks out of the workforce).

I don't think Jim Crow was great. I'm for freedom. What I am saying is given the results of the White, Progressive policy's that have destroyed the Black community since it ended, maybe Jim Crow was the better option. ESPECIALLY if they'd had equal funding. You're saying you (many others say the same) don't trust White administrators & teachers to educate Blacks fairly. So, what is your solution? Do you want segregated schools or do you want to integrate the schools, but Black kids have to follow the rules like everyone else? Sadly, a large portion don't seem to be able to do that & that's because they don't have a Dad at home. Maybe, just maybe, if these kids attended Black schools, the Black male teachers/administrators could hammer home the importance of the nuclear family, because White's aren't even allowed to point out the obvious without being accused of racism.
Prove that the percentage of Blacks in college was higher back then. I have not seen one piece of literature proving that.

Prove to me that Black children were born to both parents at a rate of 80%. And even if that was so, there is something else to consider. Slaves could be bought and sold at the master's whim, so child could have father and mother taken away, and it did happen. And in 1950, the rate of White children raised with both parents was higher. If anything, any shift that affected society, Blacks just got it worse. The canary in a coal mine effect.

Prove that minimum wage was meant to keep Blacks out of the work force. Prove it. And if it were so, then the only thing that would prove is that Blacks were seen as nothing but cheap labor. I don't see the point of bidding one's self to the lowest bidder. Makes survival next to impossible.

Stop saying "if" when it comes to Jim Crow. Fact it, Jim Crow wasn't equal. I don't see Jim Crow as being better. Blacks had NO SAY over anything.

And something else, under those "white progressive" policies, there were more Black people going to college than before. Alot of bad things going on, the high out of wedlock birthrates, high number of fatherless homes, not once have I ever heard PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY brought up in any of this. People choose to lay down with persons who would make lousy providers. People choose to have children out of wedlock. People choose to walk out on their families.

I never said I didn't trust White administrators to do their job. I said there are those who don't trust authorities to do their job. And who is to say there aren't Black administrators who would view a Black child as being less capable than a White child? There was one thread where a Black educator said teacher was easiest when there were no Black students in the classroom.

Look, I don't have all of the answers. I haven't set foot in public school in 10 years, only universities. I don't teach, I don't have children. I only know what I read in history books, what I hear on the news, what my siblings went through, what I went through. I don't have all of the answers. All I know is that I don't want to see a return of Jim Crow coming back. I am saying this based on HISTORY. Do I want more Black children behaving badly in classrooms? No. Here is a question. How do we know there weren't Black children behaving badly in class during Jim Crow? I never said I wanted to segregate the schools. In fact, everything I've said goes against segregating the schools. When I mention trust, I was trying to convey this.

1) Times have changed. However, I'm saying there is still alot of distrust between the races.
2) People can be easily influenced and stirred up, especially when they don't know what is going on. People will act on distrust for that reason.
3) Why doesn't anyone give the full picture of what goes on?

Old 11-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Not every state decision is. I'm just saying I don't forget things easily. While many outside of the south supported Federal intervention to get rid of it, there were many in the south who were willing to kill to keep the Federal government out of it. I'm just saying that sometimes, even the local government can fail to respect a human being's rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies