Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fracking
Yes 70 57.85%
No 44 36.36%
Not sure 7 5.79%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here in PA this may actually work to the benefit of the environment. They are looking at providing tax incentives for the drillers to use mine run off. The incentive would be necessary because it would cost them more for trucking it a longer distance. There is wide support for it even from many environmentalist groups. I think the hold up at this point is they want indemnity.
Not sure about mine run off or tax incentives, but about 14% of the fracking water in PA is recycled, which is up from 1% just a few years ago. If the mine run off can be used then an incentive might make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why?

Liberals who claim they are "for science" appear not to be. Liberal alarmists who know nothing about the process, and don't bother to find out, are given to speculate about all kinds of negative effects of fracking (even earthquakes!) such as contaminated water (no proven cases of this) and all kinds of other environmental damage! It's pure propaganda.

Fracking takes place well below the level of ground water and water wells, and causes no environmental damage whatsoever.
You maybe correct, however, again viewing the tube, It appears several residents have received free water purification systems in their homes near fracking, by the oil companies. If true, why? Perhaps it's to placate the folks, perhaps not?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Yep, they are doing it around where I live and people are working.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Oh so much ignorance displayed about fracking in this thread. To be expected, I guess. My brother-in-law owns a drilling company that does fracking in CO. They live and work in the area and it's been a boon to the local economy. But lets address some this ignorance.

Fracking if safe. As the climate change folks like to say, the science is settled. This has been studied. It has been aggressively pursued by the EPA and they can't find anything. Fracking is neither new nor dangerous but the hysteria over it is new and dangerous. Fracking is good for the economy, good for our wallet, and good for these areas that desperately need the jobs.

The only 'danger' is the cement collars, which is not unique to fracking. Better well technology along with strong construction principles will be the solution, not trying to outlaw fracking.

Busting some myths:
Articles: The Science Is Settled: Fracking Is Safe
Quote:
The science is settled, as the climate change supporters like to say. Only this time, science confirms the safety of hydraulic fracturing. According to a new study published by the National Academy of Sciences, fracking is safe. End of discussion.

Funded by the National Science Foundation and Duke University, a team of scientists at Ohio State and other universities conducted extensive research into the purported link between groundwater pollution and fracking. (The full title of the report, available online, is “Noble Gases Identify the Mechanisms of Fugitive Gas Contamination in Drinking-Water Wells Overlying the Marcellus and Barnett Shales.â€) In an examination of 130 wells, the researchers found that, when properly conducted, no groundwater or aquifer pollution resulted from the practice of fracking itself.
Fracking doesn't contaminate water supplies, faulty shale gas wells do - Telegraph
Quote:
In a paper published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, scientists analysed the origins of the gas in contaminated water by shale wells in Pennsylvania and Texas, two of the biggest drilling regions in the US.

They found that the fracturing of the rocks was not to blame for the leaks. Instead, botched construction of the wells led to gas or oil escaping through cracks in metal casing or through faulty cement seals.
Thomas H Darrah, assistant professor of earth science at Ohio State, who led the study, said: "Our data clearly show that the contamination in these clusters stems from well-integrity problems such as poor casing and cementing.

"The good news is that most of the issues we have identified can potentially be avoided by future improvements in well integrity."

Avner Vengosh, professor of geochemistry and water quality at Duke, said: "These results appear to rule out the possibility that methane has migrated up into drinking water aquifers because of horizontal drilling or hydraulic fracturing, as some people feared."

The distinction is important because it suggests fracking is not intrinsically polluting and should be able to take place safely if wells are constructed properly.
Problems of faulty well construction can also lead to leaks from conventional oil and gas wells.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
It was the 1960's and I was a teenager sleeping in the top bunk when the strongest earthquake hit the Denver Co. area, particularly Adams County where I was living. I have been paying attention to that, reading most of what has been written. I later worked at the RMA and have a good understanding what went on there.
Before the deep well injection at RMA we didn't have a concern about earthquakes. Many of the homes in that area were built for WWII veterans purchased on the GI Bill. They were made with concrete floors and many with brick walls. Whether that was the proper construction for homes on the particular Bentonite soil was debatable, but even homes that didn't have cracks through the foundation developed them after the stronger earthquakes, and the ones that had cracks were made worse. There was a lot of minor property damage as things crashed to the floor, also broken windows ect.

I like cheep gas. I like a clean environment too. I don't believe it wise in the long run to to foul the nest where you live anymore than a dog would where he sleeps. The bottom line is the oil company will do whatever they want here at home just as they have around the world. No one has ever been able to stop them from polluting. The wells are safe just like they were in the Gulf of Mexico. Most people don't care what they leave in their wake, just as long as they can get something cheaper today their happy. Besides I don't live in those areas where fracking is going to take place.

Scientific paper on the RMA Deep Well

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/...w-York-NY).pdf

Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I's assume you'd also support a environmental impact tax on the gas or electric exported to your state?
Depends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why?

Liberals who claim they are "for science" appear not to be. Liberal alarmists who know nothing about the process, and don't bother to find out, are given to speculate about all kinds of negative effects of fracking (even earthquakes!) such as contaminated water (no proven cases of this) and all kinds of other environmental damage! It's pure propaganda.

Fracking takes place well below the level of ground water and water wells, and causes no environmental damage whatsoever.
The more you guys harp on how safe it is, the more suspicious I am that it isn't.

In any case, I said yes...I support it...as long as I don't live near and they don't do it in my state.

That's enough, ain't it? What do you want from me?

Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Here in PA this may actually work to the benefit of the environment. They are looking at providing tax incentives for the drillers to use mine run off. The incentive would be necessary because it would cost them more for trucking it a longer distance. There is wide support for it even from many environmentalist groups. I think the hold up at this point is they want indemnity.
I don't like being dependent on middle east countries. I wonder if we were not so depended on their oil then we wouldn't be sending our young there.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depends.

The more you guys harp on how safe it is, the more suspicious I am that it isn't.

In any case, I said yes...I support it...as long as I don't live near and they don't do it in my state.

That's enough, ain't it? What do you want from me?
no..no.. no... when you want people to shut up you're supposed to call them racist lol Get with it!

Yea, something like the more you harp on how great Obamacare is, I am more suspicious how only stupid people believe that it's good.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:45 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Fracking and pipelines are so popular I came up with an idea for a sandwich, but I not sure what to call it. Maybe you can help me ?
Here is how it works Frack some land and run a pipeline over it.

Poison some bread, and place some fresh grilled chicken breast on it, then cover it with more poison bread. Then invite all your friends and some oil company executives with there most important paid employees ( politicians ) and see who eats the most. Explain to them how you are just like that meat and serve the sandwich with fresh water from your well.

I'm starting to get some ideas on what to name that sandwich. Maybe : The Frackline CEO special

Any ideas !!!

Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Fracking and pipelines are so popular I came up with an idea for a sandwich, but I not sure what to call it. Maybe you can help me ?
Here is how it works Frack some land and run a pipeline over it.

Poison some bread, and place some fresh grilled chicken breast on it, then cover it with more poison bread. Then invite all your friends and some oil company executives with there most important paid employees ( politicians ) and see who eats the most. Explain to them how you are just like that meat and serve the sandwich with fresh water from your well.

I'm starting to get some ideas on what to name that sandwich. Maybe : The Frackline CEO special

Any ideas !!!
Does fracking poison your water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies