Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
When I was a visiting student in Sweden, I had a plantar growth removed at a local clinic. I pulled out my checkbook to pay something, and the doctor just said, "stay off it for a week and come back if you have any problems." Quite the difference from this situation.

But hey, ObamaCare had no basis. It was all a left wing power grab!
I do believe their is a difference between a planters growth and 6 weeks in a hospital, an airlift, and 2 months in a neonatal care unit...

24 years ago I sliced my hand open. I went to a local clinic. I was poor and my insurance was crap at the time. The doc asked me how it happened and I told him I did drywall and cut it on corner bead. He smiled and explained that he did drywall part time while going to medical school.
For 16 sutures, the office call, a tetanus shot, and a follow up, he charged me $65. We are still friends today. I'll never forget the amount, because he asked how much I had on me. It was the money I had to buy my son a bike for his birthday. I was going to stop at Kmart on the way home after work to get it. The Bike was on sale.
My point is most of us have had a good experience with a Doctor. Same doctor removed warts from my son's feet for free.
Same Doctor got me a referral for my autistic daughter when her own doctor wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Sick system and embarrasing. Why should giving birth first of all cost $1 M with or without (travel) insurance?!? The couple should pay ZERO!
The bill might say $1m but thats not really whats owed..

UCR reinbursement rates would be far lower.

Hospital billed amounts are meaningless

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Still, the cost should not be $10000 per day. $100K I can understand, but $1M is beyond ridiculous.

This shows the problem with insurance, hospitals don't care about costs because they are not paying. The patient does not care either, because normally the insurance company pays. Insurance companies do care about the costs, but are unable to influence it.
Actually thats the problem and you didnt even realize it..

Hospitals are not receiving $1m for the bill, even if the insurance company paid it...

They pay whatever the hell they want, and the insurance companies pay whatever they want, provided its some percentile rate of the UCR established reinbursement cost.

Is hospitals actually billed the true UCR reinbursement amount, we wouldnt see shock bills like this, and many unpaid bills, might actually get paid..

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
And you people buy into this racket. Not only that you elect politicians that mandate everyone buy into this racket. Look in the mirror.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/moth...061950107.html

I'm guessing they probably will never consider the US again as a vacation destination!
So, had they stayed in Canada and the baby died due to lack of medical resources, this would have been a non-story.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Sick system and embarrasing. Why should giving birth first of all cost $1 M with or without (travel) insurance?!? The couple should pay ZERO!
Tell me how you convince all those doctors, nurses, and myriad other services to work for free.

How do you create a neonatal unit and staff it for free?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/moth...061950107.html

I'm guessing they probably will never consider the US again as a vacation destination!
What was she thinking, she claims it wasn't an at risk pregnancy. Hard for me to believe Canada's wonderful heath care system didn't pick up on this. Besides, if everyone in Canada is covered, why doesn't their system pick up the bill? They should have done a little research before traveling while 6 months pregnant, anything can happen, why not make sure you are covered, I would have. Something seems fishy here.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I really wish people would read articles before commenting. She had travel insurance, purchased from Blue Cross of Saskatchewan. They are refusing to cover it because they think she knew she had a high risk pregnancy and didn't disclose it.

Did you see how long that child was in the hospital? The child was in a neonatal intensive care unit for 2 months. The Canadian providence health system is only willing to pay $20,000. Who is supposed to pay for this? Top rated medical care costs a lot of money.
Thank you, blaming the U.S again, when all they did was save baby and momma's life.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yep. As I understood it, it is the travel insurance policy that denied the claim due to a pre-existing condition.
Had she been able to get back to Canada, everything would have been covered.

Only in America.
You don't make sense, If the insurance did not cover it, then how is "America's" fault?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So, had they stayed in Canada and the baby died due to lack of medical resources, this would have been a non-story.
Yes because somehow Canada cant deliver a child.

And ignoring the fact that Canada has a lower infant mortality rate then we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies