Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM

24,464 posts, read 23,161,166 times

Advertisements

I saw this at Wal Mart and this had me wondering just what is going on with Christmas these days. They were setting up their seasonal Christmas displays already and its not even Halloween. There among the Tree toppers of angels and stars was a crescent moon and star topper. The moslem symbol of crescent and star. For a Christmas tree.
Okay. I'm not sure what to make of it. I know its a running joke that some jewish households put up a Christmas tree which is fine if they do. And we've had the secularists trying for years now to redefine it as a " Holiday Tree". Even the Wiccans like to point out the pagan origins of the tree and wreath traditions.
But I did not know that moslems put up Christmas trees.
It just struck me as weird. Very weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:32 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I saw this at Wal Mart and this had me wondering just what is going on with Christmas these days. They were setting up their seasonal Christmas displays already and its not even Halloween. There among the Tree toppers of angels and stars was a crescent moon and star topper. The moslem symbol of crescent and star. For a Christmas tree.
Okay. I'm not sure what to make of it. I know its a running joke that some jewish households put up a Christmas tree which is fine if they do. And we've had the secularists trying for years now to redefine it as a " Holiday Tree". Even the Wiccans like to point out the pagan origins of the tree and wreath traditions.
Have a picture of it?? Sorry to disappoint, but it is not a "moslem" symbol of Islam.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM

13,721 posts, read 9,055,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Have a picture of it?? Sorry to disappoint, but it is not a "moslem" symbol of Islam.
I believe you are right. I have been in Turkey a couple of times, and noted that their flag is the crescent and star. I had not heard that the Muslim religion has 'adopted' that symbol faith-wide, although I guess that some non-Muslims believe it to be the symbol.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,994 times
when in rome

I mean Christians put up the tree to take over some now forgotten holiday. So who cares if Islam, jews, etc all decide to celebrate some forgotten winter solstice holiday with tree, lights, desserts and candy

afterall - bring back the sun, that is the reason for the season

Old 11-11-2014, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,632 times
Actually the Moon crescent and the star is the symbol of the Muslim Faith. And I think it is lovely that Muslims could put up a Christmas or Holiday tree with a little touch of their own faith. I really do not understand what exactly is so "weird" about that.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM

39,127 posts, read 51,411,787 times
I think this is wonderful actually. The melding of cultures is what makes living in the US interesting. People from other cultures bring their traditions and the become part of our own - like luminarias - just as they assimilate our symbols into their own traditions. The tree itself is an alien tradition that we adopted. Diversity makes all of us richer.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,700,226 times

Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,509 times
My wife and I saw that too. It is the sign of Islam that has been adopted by them since the Ottoman Empire in Turkey since the 15th century. People can debate its acceptance by those of the Muslim faith. But it is now a recognized symbol of Islam. We don't agree with having it on the shelf in a Christmas Department to be sold as a tree topper. Muslims do nit celebrate Christmas.

The rest if the tree toppers are not religious symbolsThey are: stars, angles and snowflakes. There is not a cross to be found or a Star of David. But the Crescent Moon and star is a religious symbol. In Walmart's political correctness, they are throwing Christmas under the bus while elevating Islam.

Walmart hasn't sold outdoor Nativity scenes in years. Everything is now Holiday items. Except this symbol of Islam. That is the only religious symbol in the department. In fact, no other store we've been to has it.

Menards has done well though. We talked with them and they are the only store to get Nativity scenes. Our store got and sold out of 200 of them. And they actually call it Christmas in their store.

We're addressing this with Walmart. Christians need to start speaking up. Our rights are being taken away. Everyone else speaks up for their rights, but Christians remain politely silent. There is now a school district in Maryland where Christmas is off the calendar because parents are not speaking up. This country was built on religious freedom. Everyone else now has religious freedom, except Christians.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,994 times
Quote:

You/we/whomever should give two craps abut some pagan symbol that Christians bastardize long ago, and now others want to use the same Winter solstice festivities and symbols for another religion?

I think the oddity here is the thought process that leads you to think that the Christmas tree is someone owned, controlled, or invented by Christians.

History of Christmas Trees - Christmas - HISTORY.com

Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,449,915 times
Quote:
The evergreen tree, yule log, mistletoe, etc were all pagan symbols used for a Christian holiday later.

Whats the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies