Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I just read the snippet in the OP, and the snotty statements about the parents make her political agenda apparent.

They are kids, cut them some slack. I don't like the precedent of talking trash about family members of the President. No matter what he party.

Lauten came across as trashy herself with this senseless hit piece.
If she had been trashing the Palin kids, you'd be cheering her.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
The woman was out of line for writing that.

She had a point though. Both girls made disrespectful faces and gestures.

The outfits - WTH! Dresses THAT short are not typical for these girls, or for any girls their age. This might be a case of 2 teenage girls getting over on a clueless dad because mom wasn't around.

If so, they likely heard much worse from mom when she saw that.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Meh, the liberals threw that kind of decency out the window with the attacks on the Palin's kids. You reap what you sow.
I don't have a dog in this fight since I think all presidential families should be exiled to St. Helena for the duration of the presidency, but if you want oneupmanship, Republicans gave Chelsea Clinton a hard time. Not for how she dressed or behaved, but for her face.

As for bad behavior, I have no problem with it being called out. People are calling out Obama's kids, they called out the Palin's. On the other hand W. Bush's daughters were well behaved and got no criticism that I remember.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

The outfits - WTH! Dresses THAT short are not typical for these girls, or for any girls their age. This might be a case of 2 teenage girls getting over on a clueless dad because mom wasn't around.

If so, they likely heard much worse from mom when she saw that.
No she does not have a point. Who the heck cares about what they wear or their facial gestures. They are typical teens who never asked to be in the spotlight. You are the one putting them there and criticizing them just as she is.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:31 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Publicly slamming a 13 and 16 year old simply because she does not like their father is pretty low.

Especially given her position. Shows very little class.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:32 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
On the other hand W. Bush's daughters were well behaved and got no criticism that I remember.
Maybe these four paragraphs from the 5/31/01 edition of USA Today will help you remember:

AUSTIN, Texas — President Bush's 19-year-old twin daughters were charged Thursday with underage alcohol offenses after an incident in a popular restaurant known for its Tex-Mex food and ice-cold margaritas.

It was the second alcohol-related citation against Jenna Bush in less than five weeks. Police accused Jenna Bush of attempting to buy alcohol with false identification and Barbara Bush of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Both charges are misdemeanors punishable by a fine of up to $500, attendance at an alcohol awareness course, community service and a 30-day suspension of a driver's license.

But Jenna Bush, who just completed her freshman year at the University of Texas, could face a stiffer punishment because she is facing her second charge.

Link to the entire report: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...hdaughters.htm

Old 11-29-2014, 11:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
If she had been trashing the Palin kids, you'd be cheering her.
That's bull, at least as far as I'm concerned. I defended Sarah during the campaign, said that most of us moms of teens and older daughters thought "there but for the grace of God, go I".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight since I think all presidential families should be exiled to St. Helena for the duration of the presidency, but if you want oneupmanship, Republicans gave Chelsea Clinton a hard time. Not for how she dressed or behaved, but for her face.

As for bad behavior, I have no problem with it being called out. People are calling out Obama's kids, they called out the Palin's. On the other hand W. Bush's daughters were well behaved and got no criticism that I remember.
What bad behavior did these girls exhibit? They weren't real enthusiastic. Big whoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Maybe these four paragraphs from the 5/31/01 edition of USA Today will help you remember:

AUSTIN, Texas — President Bush's 19-year-old twin daughters were charged Thursday with underage alcohol offenses after an incident in a popular restaurant known for its Tex-Mex food and ice-cold margaritas.

It was the second alcohol-related citation against Jenna Bush in less than five weeks. Police accused Jenna Bush of attempting to buy alcohol with false identification and Barbara Bush of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Both charges are misdemeanors punishable by a fine of up to $500, attendance at an alcohol awareness course, community service and a 30-day suspension of a driver's license.

But Jenna Bush, who just completed her freshman year at the University of Texas, could face a stiffer punishment because she is facing her second charge.

Link to the entire report: USATODAY.com - Bush daughters cited in Texas
And who wrote that? A USA Today reporter, not some congressman's "communications director".

Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Their linked in profile looks impressive. This person definitely knows how to handle her media.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/elizabethlauten

Calls to fire GOP staffer Elizabeth Lauten after attacks on Malia and Sasha Obama | Daily Mail Online
Dear Sasha and Malia, I get you’re both in those awful teen years, but you’re a part of the First Family, try showing a little class. At least respect the part you play. Then again your mother and father don’t respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter, so I’m guessing you’re coming up a little short in the ‘good role model’ department. Nevertheless, stretch yourself. Rise to the occasion. Act like being in the White House matters to you. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar. And certainly don’t make faces during televised public events.

Sasha Obama is 13 years old. Her sister just turned 16.

Good grief.

Surely this woman wrote this to get attention by proving she has no class?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:33 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
These two young women are looking at a future brighter than anything Elizabeth Whatshername could ever dream of. She knows that. And I hope it stings like hell.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 AM

148 posts, read 149,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

I get what you're saying, but you've met teenagers, right? The girls are practicing the "Ugh, dad doing his dad jokes" sideeye that teenagers make when their father is doing something weird and embarrassing like, say, pardoning a turkey on national television. The embarrassed sideeye is a national pastime at this point.
Quote:
The outfits - WTH! Dresses THAT short are not typical for these girls, or for any girls their age.
I was in high school about a decade ago, and if you saw what I saw, HOLY HELL. You might have had a stroke. I almost did.

By the way, I just checked out the LinkedIn site she posted, and found this and this:
Quote:
ACT Score: 36
SAT Score: 1580
...led to this:
Quote:
Education: East Carolina University
Which means that either one of three things happened:
1. Elizabeth is doing some serious test score-exaggerating on her LinkedIn page,
2. She had a mind-blowing tour of ECU, or
3. She killed someone in high school and everybody in the Ivy League, UNC, Duke, Stanford, Cal, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Virginia, George Mason, and every other school with a good (or hell, even average) political science program found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies