Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 12:00 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

I'm glad he hit 'record' on his phone camera. I think the best way people can defend themselves from the so-called 'epidemic' of racial profiling and/or police brutality is to do exactly as this guy did.

All cops wearing a vest camera is one of society's better ideas, too. We have cameras in cop cars, now put them on the cop himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
One time I was sitting at a picnic table at a park, minding my own business. Some lady called 911 and reported that I was either following people, or looking at them funny, or something like that. First of all, I am an introvert and tend not to even make eye contact with people I know, let alone strangers in the park. Second of all, I was sitting at a picnic table, so it's hard to figure how I could have been 'following' anyone.

Cops grilled me for about 10 minutes on who I was, what I was doing, and 'what brings me to Bellevue?' (town where I live). I think this was all because I am a laborer and somewhat scruffy dresser and live in a neighborhood full of lawyers, accountants, etc. BTW I am white.

I later called the PD asking them to investigate whoever called 911 on me for no reason whatsoever. I didn't want the same thing happening to the next victim. They refused; we went round and round for a few minutes on it, and finally I gave up and hung up.

Most cops will micturate on the 4th Amendment as readily as a dog on a fire hydrant. That's just where we are as a country.

There was a news story awhile back about a mother calling the cops to a playgroud because...there was a father there with his children and she found that creepy. I can not remember but I think the cops even put the father in cuffs at one point. I wish I could find the story.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:06 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm glad he hit 'record' on his phone camera. I think the best way people can defend themselves from the so-called 'epidemic' of racial profiling and/or police brutality is to do exactly as this guy did.

All cops wearing a vest camera is one of society's better ideas, too. We have cameras in cop cars, now put them on the cop himself.
I agree. Every cop needs a camera. We also need to have free access to the camera footage. Blank out the faces to protect the innocent but let us hear the audio as well. I would love to see what the cops deal with in my area with all the meth heads. It would also be interesting to see what cops deal with down in the south with all the racist rednecks. Then we could see what they deal with in Ferguson, MO or Gary, IN or Philly for starters.

Interesting indeed.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your post is ridiculous based on all the facts that have come to light on this incident.

No, its not. Nothing this man did was suspicious.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
From the one article posted, it sounds like the store owner thought the guy walking past his store a bunch of times was suspicious. After all, it was enough to make him call the cops.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's 4 stores in the middle of nowhere.. and the guy was on foot. No way he was going rob a store there then run away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6474...0vxcGgqhDw!2e0
He could have had a friend nearby waiting to pick him up. My concern with posting this is some nutbag could try to retaliate.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:52 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Read the thread. It has been said many times that the call came from a business that was concerned because the young man kept walking past the store looking in.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:52 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
The cop, the person, and the caller all did the right thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Vest cameras are good for all involved. I have no problem with that, I doubt anyone does. As for racial profiling, get over it. There is no indication the cop was profiling. He was following up on a call, that was all: he and the guy handled themselves in a very civil way.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This was in Pontiac, MI (the Mitten). The context, as reported, was that a store owner had been robbed several times over the year. The owner alleged that this individual had walked by his store several times, looking into the store with his hands in his pockets, but finding the store with customers each time he looked...he then walked away. That is the story of the store owner who called police.
This is the point so many are over looking: the area has had a lot of burglaries according to the polic officer and the caller had reason to be concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies