Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:04 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,676 times

Advertisements

The Oath Keepers - Are they an extremist organization? The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) and the Anti-Defemation League (hereafter, ADL) certainly thinks so.

Do you have an opinion?

The ADL has described them extensively in many of their publications and articles on their website. The following is merely a small sample of their take on the organization:

Oath Keepers and Three Percenters Part of Growing Anti-Government Movement - ADL

"... Oath Keepers is a group that deliberately targets police officers and military personnel for recruitment into the extreme anti-government movement. Its basic pitch is to remind such people that they swore an oath to defend the Constitution “from all enemies, foreign and domestic,” and to suggest that now is the time to live up to that oath by resisting an allegedly tyrannical government."

"... The Oath Keepers and Three Percenters, both part of an anti-government extremist movement that has grown since President Obama took office, promote the idea that the federal government is plotting to take away the rights of American citizens and must be resisted.

The two groups are apparently trying to make inroads in the U.S. military...."

Nifty little diagram courtesy of the folks at the SPLC:

-------------------

For reference, this encapsulates what the organizations official position entails:

Oath Keepers » Blog Archive » Declaration Of Orders We Will Not Obey

1. We will NOT obey any order to disarm the American people.

2. We will NOT obey any order to conduct warrantless searches of the American people, their homes, vehicles, papers, or effects -- such as warrantless house-to house searches for weapons or persons.

3. We will NOT obey any order to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to trial by military tribunal.

4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state, or to enter with force into a state, without the express consent and invitation of that state’s legislature and governor.

5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty and declares the national government to be in violation of the compact by which that state entered the Union.

6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.

7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.

8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control” during any emergency, or under any other pretext. We will consider such use of foreign troops against our people to be an invasion and an act of war.

9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies, under any emergency pretext whatsoever.

10. We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
I don't see anything in that pledge that is bad or anti-american (to uphold). I would never do any of those things. I just don't feel the need to make an oath about something I wouldn't do anyway. Oaths are purely symbolic in nature anyhoooo.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
I thought the original oath keepers was about men being better men.
If it made a move to a Constitution club I missed something.

As long as they don't promote or act out violence I have no problem. That is the same thing I would say about members of the Democrat Underground.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Former police and military members pledging to keep their oath to uphold the US Constitution.

Oh the horror!

Next they'll be promoting driving safely and putting on voluntary public service seminars showing the proper installation of child seats!

Someone call Obama's purpleshirts and Janet "see something say something" Napolitano ASAP!

Better yet, report them @ #attackwatch!

Pay no attention to the Marxist radicals screaming about rioting in the street. The real threat to National Security is those who have sworn to uphold the US Constitution and have previously undergone state and federal background checks.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Why are they consider extremists ?
Do most want to give up all their rights and freedoms ?

Which of their orders to disobey do you disagree with ?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why are they consider extremists ?
Do most want to give up all their rights and freedoms ?

Which of their orders to disobey do you disagree with ?
Back when the MIAC report came (shortly after Obama took office) Janet Napolitano labeled Oathkeepers, along with returning veterans, anyone with an NRA or Ron Paul bumper sticker, or those displaying a Gadsen flag, as potential threats to "Homeland Security". Think of it as Obama's introductory equivilent of Nixon's enemies list.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
The Oath Keepers and Three Percenters, both part of an anti-government extremist movement that has grown since President Obama took office, promote the idea that the federal government is plotting to take away the rights of American citizens and must be resisted.
Yo, FTA, haven't you been paying any attention to the news? Maybe the government isn't "plotting" to curtail our rights, but what would you call what's going on in Obama's America?

And if you're worried about extremist organizations, go look at some of the nonsense the Southern Poverty Law Center has been promoting.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I thought the original oath keepers was about men being better men.
If it made a move to a Constitution club I missed something.

As long as they don't promote or act out violence I have no problem. That is the same thing I would say about members of the Democrat Underground.
Promise Keepers? Different group I think.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Many Oath keepers (the extreme ones that make the news) are part of militia groups (aka domestic terrorists).

Some also believe in Sovereign Citizen BS.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Many Oath keepers (the extreme ones that make the news) are part of militia groups (aka domestic terrorists).

Some also believe in Sovereign Citizen BS.
Since when did every militia earn the label of domestic terrorist?

Following the Alynski rules for Radicals is sooooooo 2008. Yeah, we've read your playbook.

Just keep deflecting the attention away from the real radicals getting arrested on the streets of NYC, the leader of SEIU calling for breaking of laws to push their agenda, or the ones saying if it wasn't Obama in office that the CBC would be marching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies