Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What law has the president made through executive order?

Changing law with executive order is in fact making law, as a dictator, by passing the checks and balances put into our system, so there is no chance of a dictator in this nation. The 2nd amendment was placed there to say if you do, we will use death to correct it. Give me liberty or give me death, has a meaning man lives by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
What's next for the good people of Kennesaw, banning those pesky Christ killing Jews? What about those no God Chinese? Those heretics who believe in the Angel Moroni? Who's next?

Who ever the established community wish to let be apart of their community. Anything else will bring resentment and certain conflict.
You have not read the Georgia STATE Constitution, concerning religious freedom, have you?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:52 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,607,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
There's 15 pages of them now. Find your own. I'm not interested in pointing out the obvious to you. I understand that you have problems identifying that which is very clear, but unfortunately for you it's not my responsibility to bring you up to speed.
In other words, you can't identify a single racist quote to backup your baseless claims of racism. How libelous.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,963,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I thought it said the city owned the space but it appears this was a variance issue. In that case, why is the city required to grant a variance? They are usually discretionary. It would look like favoritism to islam. Now that is something unconstitutional.
Variances are not discretionary. Legally, variances should only be granted if the law in question creates hardship for the variance applicant. They can be granted with conditions to mitigate the noncompliance that created the need for the variance request (like off-site parking, limiting hours of operations, and such), but they are not discretionary.

Anyway, the federal government decided back in 2000 that religious organizations shouldn't be overly burdened with local zoning regulations. So when this group sues and wins, the good people of Kennesaw, GA can thank Orrin Hatch for their new storefront mosque.

Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,709,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What law has the president made through executive order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Not a single one. Some people refuse to see objective reality, in favor of their own subjective one.
Well, to answer the question: The President himself, recently speaking to a group of Latinos who wanted quicker action on amnesty (and probably never expecting to be heard outside the group) said that he has "just taken action to change the law".

The President can't change law. "Changing law" is the same as making NEW law.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who ever the established community wish to let be apart of their community. Anything else will bring resentment and certain conflict.
You have not read the Georgia STATE Constitution, concerning religious freedom, have you?
They can't discriminate against people based on religion.

The Georgia Constitution gives them leeway to discriminate based on the potential for violence and conflict, however, in order to exercise such discrimination, they must be able to PROVE that potential for violence and conflict. It's doubtful the people of Kennesaw can proffer any PROOF that the people wishing to build and belong to this mosque pose a violent threat to the community.

I know, it's a step that Islam-haters blithely ignore. But Constitutionally, you can't discriminate unless you can legally prove that your discrimination is well-founded.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:44 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,607,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Variances are not discretionary. Legally, variances should only be granted if the law in question creates hardship for the variance applicant. They can be granted with conditions to mitigate the noncompliance that created the need for the variance request (like off-site parking, limiting hours of operations, and such), but they are not discretionary.

Anyway, the federal government decided back in 2000 that religious organizations shouldn't be overly burdened with local zoning regulations. So when this group sues and wins, the good people of Kennesaw, GA can thank Orrin Hatch for their new storefront mosque.

Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000
Yes, I meant that it's discretionary as in there is usually no set of rules that requires them to grant a variance if an applicant does xyz. It's typically a case by case evaluation. I am not familiar with the federal law cited but I have never in my life seen a house of worship in a mall or any other place that looks like it's zoned purely retail.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Changing law with executive order is in fact making law, as a dictator, by passing the checks and balances put into our system, so there is no chance of a dictator in this nation. The 2nd amendment was placed there to say if you do, we will use death to correct it. Give me liberty or give me death, has a meaning man lives by.
No that isn't the same thing. That is like saying milk and orange juice are the same thing because they are both liquids.

What this has to do with the 2nd Amendment is beyond me, maybe you can explain your reasoning for that part.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, to answer the question: The President himself, recently speaking to a group of Latinos who wanted quicker action on amnesty (and probably never expecting to be heard outside the group) said that he has "just taken action to change the law".

The President can't change law. "Changing law" is the same as making NEW law.
False, he never changed a law that cannot simply be undone by the next president. All the president can do with an executive order is temporary actions.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:46 PM

5,512 posts, read 9,504,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yes, I meant that it's discretionary as in there is usually no set of rules that requires them to grant a variance if an applicant does xyz. It's typically a case by case evaluation. I am not familiar with the federal law cited but I have never in my life seen a house of worship in a mall or any other place that looks like it's zoned purely retail.
When my grandparents' church was getting started, while building their congregation, and saving to build their own building, they held services in a vacant storefront in a shopping plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies