Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Show me evidence that everyone can better themselves? Bet you can't but you will continue to blame the poor you seem to hate.
Evidence? Seriously?

Of course there's no "evidence". But that doesn't change the fact that everyone CAN better themselves? Show me evidence that they can't.

I don't hate the poor. Far from it. And the truly mentally challenged will have a very hard time of making a living. But even they can better themselves.

As for the rest, I do hate those that refuse to even try, making up excuses before they even start. Then, when they're still on the bottom rung, trying to take MY hard earned money to support their failure to even try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
You really think that you can make enough to live on repairing lawn mowers? Not everyone has lawn mowers and lawn mowers tend to last for a while so you may have a lawn mower to fix once in a while but not enough to make good money. You can good money cleaning houses if you can find an expensive neighborhood and again not that many need housekeepers. These type of jobs work in a area where there is a lot of money or by people who are working as a second income for their family.
Ding, ding, ding. Another winner. An excuse before even trying.

Thank you for proving my point perfectly.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
JITB was rolling out the kiosks in a big way........it seems like they stopped, wonder why?

USPS used to have a LOT of Automated-Postal-Centers........and they worked great, now they are disappearing????????

Old 12-17-2014, 07:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Evidence? Seriously?

Of course there's no "evidence". But that doesn't change the fact that everyone CAN better themselves? Show me evidence that they can't.

I don't hate the poor. Far from it. And the truly mentally challenged will have a very hard time of making a living. But even they can better themselves.

As for the rest, I do hate those that refuse to even try, making up excuses before they even start. Then, when they're still on the bottom rung, trying to take MY hard earned money to support their failure to even try.
So you have no evidence and and can not prove it yet you still claim it is true if that is not delusional I do not know what is. You are not taking in account some people are not smart enough to do more do not have the opportunity to do more but keep sitting on your throne saying they are making excuses so you can make an excuse not to help them. What do you think will happen even if everyone could better themselves do you think there would be jobs for them?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Nobody works involuntarily in the United States. If you are being paid, you are being paid for a wage you agreed to.

According to the US Census, there 5.68 million businesses in the US, with 7.35 million places of employment. If you do not like the conditions at one job, there are other jobs out there. Go get one.

A job is a task that an employer/business owner needs to have performed. The determinant of whether the employer even hires someone for that task is if they have profitable return for the labor cost. If a task results in a net loss, it makes no sense for the task to be done. Now, let us say the task can be done profitably. OK, then the rate of compensation for that task will be based on the demand for the job, the supply of qualified workers, and both the industry and market in which the task exists. Mircea has gone to great lengths in the past to show how $30k in one market is vastly more profitable than $100k in another, where the employee's quality of life is concerned. So many factors go into a) whether the task will even be one that requires a paid employee doing it and if so b) what compensation level makes that task profitable to have done by a paid employee.

At no point in any business owner's financial strategy does the quality of the housing of an employee merit consideration. That is an employee consideration, and it should be one of the determining factors in whether they accept a job or not. If the pay is too low for them to fix their run down house, they should not take the job. The employee also acts on the basis of their own profitability. They do not care about the profit margin of the business when negotiating, they care about themselves and rightly so. Between the two parties, both acting in their own rational self-interest, a voluntary agreement is reached.

There's nothing wicked, unfair, evil or unfortunate about it. It's voluntary, it's very individual and personal, and both employer and employee know more about the employment agreement than anyone on the outside of it, including internet forum pundits.
If you do not like your job go get another one right so we should just be content that there are crappy jobs and how do you know there are better jobs out there? The compensation is not based on any of that it is based on what the company wants to pay their employees but you can make up things like market and supply and demand to pretend that is how it works. So if pay is to low you can just not take that job you will end up homeless but hey look at the bright side at least you are not working that low paying job. There is something very wicked and unfair about employers who make hug amounts of dollars and their employees can not even make enough to live on.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Automation already took my job. Over 20 years ago, the personal computer becoming popular meant everybody that owned one could now do "desktop publishing". Which took away the job I had been doing for many years, which was typesetting, paste-up and print production.

So instead of making excuses, or curling up into a ball in the corner wailing about how unfair life was, I learned to update my skills to include the computer.

Then the next wave came along, called "websites". Which meant instead of advertising being printed on paper, it was now uploaded to the internet.

So instead of making excuses, or curling up into a ball in the corner wailing about how unfair life was, I learned to update my skills to include web design.

The one thing I did NOT do was demand that society coddle me, because I wasn't willing to keep up with automation, and provide me a "living wage" just because it was hard to keep up with modern technology.

And no, I'm not some brilliant nerd that found any of this easy. I hate math, and am much more creative than critical in my thinking. But that doesn't pay the bills, and while it wasn't easy, I managed.
So when 20,000 jobs are gone getting new skills is just gonna make new jobs appear for all them?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) Slaves are involuntary workers being forced to labor for the benefit of another. Nobody employed in America is paid a slave's wage because nobody in America is laboring against their will.

2) Profit is the ONLY reason to start a business and it is the SOLE determinant of the survival of a business. If an activity is not profitable, it will not be done. Same goes for working. If the job is not profitable to the employee doing, they won't do it. How many things around your house do you DIY vs calling a pro? I could call a plumber and pay them $50 to replace a faulty aerator on my kitchen faucet, or I can spend $4 on the part and grab some pliers and do it myself. I choose to do it myself, thus "robbing" the plumber of $50 in compensation because at their price, the job was not profitable, but it was at my DIY price.

You make the exact same profitability decisions all the time, every day, forever and ever. How often do you choose to voluntarily overpay for the things you buy based on the quality of the home life of the person providing you a good or service? When you go to the grocery store, do you tip your cashier, the stockboys, the folks fetching carts out of the parking lot because you want to ensure they have a good quality home to live in? No, you don't.

This is a world of voluntary interactions, unless government is doing their "force the behavior" thing. Nobody gets cheated when they voluntarily agree to things.
A job can not be profitable to an employee if they do not make enough to live on they still have to take it because they need a job to live on. Saying nobody gets cheated when voluntarily agreeing to thinks is a big lie it happens all the time how do you think scams happen?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Conservatives are funny animals. They are happy to see people go out of work just to make a point. They'll rape, wreck, and pillage this country just to show those "leftists" who's boss
Liberals are funny animals. They are happy to raise the minimum wage which will cause people to lose their jobs just to make a point that Big Government is their agenda. They'll rape, wreck, and pillage this country just to show those "righties" who's boss

Old 12-17-2014, 08:26 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
If you do not like your job go get another one? Right, so we should just be content that there are crappy jobs and how do you know there are better jobs out there?
(grammar corrections mine to make your point properly readable)

It's absolutely right. And where did I say be content with your crappy job? I said if you as an employee do not like the job you do for whatever reason, go do another job you like more. If you are incapable of providing the value that a better job requires, that is not the fault of all the prospective employers out there...IT'S YOURS. I did not like my job nor my wage when I did tree work. I like my job and wage much better as a data warehouse architect and BI director. I didn't go from the former to the latter instantly nor even quickly. It took 25 years, but here I am.
Quote:
The compensation is not based on any of that it is based on what the company wants to pay their employees but you can make up things like market and supply and demand to pretend that is how it works.
Not making it up. To remain profitable, cost has to be less than revenue. You can estimate revenue based on past performance, and can then apply that to cost to attempt to be profitable. You can itemize every cost, including labor, thus you know how much you have to spend. If your labor costs are such that Job A is only profitable at X wage, then that's the wage for Job A. If nobody takes the job at that wage, it goes unfilled. But employers do not have unlimited revenue from which they can afford unlimited cost, so cost must be controlled. Most jobs are paid according to position & industry, adjusted by market, skills, experience and negotiation. My job, for instance, even relatively new, has an informal "what an employer should expect to pay" measure for my skills, experience, education etc relative to the industry and market. I get paid right about 3% higher than all those factors would predict for my job in my market, and that was negotiated.
Quote:
So if pay is to low you can just not take that job you will end up homeless but hey look at the bright side at least you are not working that low paying job. There is something very wicked and unfair about employers who make hug amounts of dollars and their employees can not even make enough to live on.
If the pay is too low, and nobody is offering you more, it's because you simply aren't worth more where the value of your work is concerned. The job of a fry cook has a pretty set value. It doesn't change much. If you that is the only job your value can match, then you need to become more valuable. It's not a tough equation.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
A job can not be profitable to an employee if they do not make enough to live on they still have to take it because they need a job to live on. Saying nobody gets cheated when voluntarily agreeing to thinks is a big lie it happens all the time how do you think scams happen?
Then they either need to adjust their budget or find a job that pays more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies