Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Well, conservatives don't want to touch anything even remotely close to raising wages, or tackling the fact that business has managed to eek out 100% more productivity out of workers in 30 years while wages haven't even kept up with inflation.

And liberals insist we should continue to import poverty from around the world, and that we have a moral responsibility to take in every destitute child, woman and family hoping to come here and work fast food jobs with five kids....

So... basically we just reap what we sow. Neither side can complain, because they both are part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Food stamps are designed to provide a steady market for American agribusiness by providing enough money for poor people to continue consuming the food produced. That some people are kept from starvation is a convenient coincidence. In some places in this country people are heating their homes with stoves fueled with dried corn grown on subsidized farms.

Most "welfare" systems are designed to provide a market for food, drug, energy, housing and construction businesses in the private sector. Doing something for the poor is a convenient excuse.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
You want more of something, just subsidize it.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Very true. The problem arises when you get too much of the subsidized item such as agricultural products or military equipment. Some how we have figured out how to consume both.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm 1 of those "bums" living on food stamps, NEVER needed them till 2013 and still getting them in late 2014. Things are THAT bad with me. Trust me; once I'm doing good again, bye bye to food stamps. The sooner the better.

Packard Fan, let me say to you personally, I am sorry for your situation.

While I get angry that we are even discusssing 40+MILLION Americans on foodstamps, that is directed at a government that is not fixing the environment where that is necessary. It is NOT directed at the 40 Million Americans who find themselves in need.

I want an America with a strong economy where everyone who wants to work can. I am happy we have a social safetynet that secures both those in need and protects those who arent. desperation is a powerful motivator.

BUT when the numbers are where they are, we have a problem and we have a government that is not fixing it. In fact there is more than a little evidence that THIS government is doing what it is doing on purpose.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:24 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Food prices are going up too.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Very true. The problem arises when you get too much of the subsidized item such as agricultural products or military equipment. Some how we have figured out how to consume both.
True, what the typical Lefty or Righty does not get is we in the middle don't want any of the pork.

I have 2 friends on disability who recieve less than $75 a month in food stamps and they both have recieved cuts recently. They are older and can't work and paid into the system for years. Unfortunately the limited resources are being diverted to Immigrants who have never paid one cent into our system.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Food prices are going up too.
Depends on the food. Hamburger's gone stupid high dollar but bacon has dropped like a stone in price.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Depends on the food. Hamburger's gone stupid high dollar but bacon has dropped like a stone in price.
I noticed that about the hamburger. We have cut back on it, which is probably healthier anyway. Forget about steak. The good steak that goes on the grill is 10 bucks a cut.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Because Subway dropped bacon on their menu in certain stores to be religiously correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies