Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times

Advertisements

OK, I admittedly don't like robots, never did and never will, what with their whirring little synchros and gyros and smug looks. But, when they become more prevalent and autonomous, will they be given rights and be afforded respect. I'm not talking about robots that belong to someone and may be out walking a dog or painting a fence. I'm talking about the ones that are out on their own just gathering data and being a pita getting in your way. Will there be anything preventing me from hauling off and walloping one of those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,326 times
Well, the robot you whack might well have recorded you and uploaded the video to YouTube or the cops by the time you are done. Also, robots are quite pricey, and whoever owns it will want damages, which I'm sure would not be cheap. I doubt we will have to worry about them becoming a routine annoyance anytime soon. I've yet to see one at large in public, but no doubt it will be interesting when they do show up.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
OK, I admittedly don't like robots, never did and never will, what with their whirring little synchros and gyros and smug looks. But, when they become more prevalent and autonomous, will they be given rights and be afforded respect. I'm not talking about robots that belong to someone and may be out walking a dog or painting a fence. I'm talking about the ones that are out on their own just gathering data and being a pita getting in your way. Will there be anything preventing me from hauling off and walloping one of those things?
WOW, I have to get out more. You actually have robots where you live that walk dogs and paint fences I assume doing chores for their owners.

In addition there is robots where you live that are out on their own not supervised by an owner just wandering hither and yon? Do they have a home or just out and about day and night?

I have watched robots in laboratories and my daughter has a Roomba but never seen a robot that walks among us. I wouldn't attack one if I was you or you might get zapped. I am sure in the future their rights will be drug through the courts and defended and protected.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,273 times
Have you watched the movie I Robot with Will Smith? Those robots could run 40mph, they wouldn't get in anyone's way, the robots blew past people on the side walk.OP, if you haven't seen it, you should. It is a good movie.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
It seems probable, if the robots are linked to the health/life-support functions of humans. For example, a modern pacemaker is basically a compact, special-purpose computerized robot with a specific medical purpose. Intentionally interfering with a pacemaker can constitute murder. If robots assume more roles with that kind of nature, then damaging them could easily be interpreted as an attack against the person they support.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
WOW, I have to get out more. You actually have robots where you live that walk dogs and paint fences I assume doing chores for their owners.

In addition there is robots where you live that are out on their own not supervised by an owner just wandering hither and yon? Do they have a home or just out and about day and night?

I have watched robots in laboratories and my daughter has a Roomba but never seen a robot that walks among us. I wouldn't attack one if I was you or you might get zapped. I am sure in the future their rights will be drug through the courts and defended and protected.
well, most if not all the ones I've seen to this point look very much like human but if you creep up behind them an go "Hey Robot!" they will respond with a start and reveal themselves for what they are. I'll leave them alone but will take their picture for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It seems probable, if the robots are linked to the health/life-support functions of humans. For example, a modern pacemaker is basically a compact, special-purpose computerized robot with a specific medical purpose. Intentionally interfering with a pacemaker can constitute murder. If robots assume more roles with that kind of nature, then damaging them could easily be interpreted as an attack against the person they support.
this is what makes our first strike strategy difficult to implement at this time

Old 12-13-2014, 01:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
I want to know why robots would bother anyone so much as to risk getting in trouble by punching one. Even if robots never get human rights, you could still get busted for MDP. (EDIT: Malicious destruction of property, sorry.)

Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well, most if not all the ones I've seen to this point look very much like human but if you creep up behind them an go "Hey Robot!" they will respond with a start and reveal themselves for what they are. I'll leave them alone but will take their picture for future reference.

Ghengis can you post us pictures of the robots you have confronted?? I want to see one that looks like a real person/human.

Did they let you go home from the institution for the holidays?

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 12-13-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 07:20 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Have to remember Asimov's three laws of robots....
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
My robot stays on my property minding my business. If you whack it I will have a recording on my security system, and I will file charges for destruction of private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies