Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Who do you think is moving south? Why, yes, it would be that population that is being lost in Ohio, New York and New Jersey, among other northern states. Do you think they will suddenly turn Conservative when they get there? Or maybe just take their liberal views with them and start turning some red states purple?
I notice you said "purple" instead of "blue." That tells me that you're not confident that the South will ever have Democratic representation again, even with North-to-South migration.

Before the midterms, I'll remind you that liberals were giddy that Texas was (purportedly) turning purple. They chose none other than Abortion Barbie Wendy Davis as their standard bearer of newfound Texas liberalism. As you already know, the last election actually validated that it will be a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG time before TX Democrats move the needle towards purple. LOL

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
For POTUS, the South is a non factor. They simply keep the GOP around a 38% share of EC votes..over 24 years, with the last census shift of 7 EC votes, the blue shift of Va and NM overwhelmed that.
When will you folks finally acknowledge that the Obama elections were an anomaly? You can't possibly believe that there will be electorate as electrified for a white candidate as there was for the first half-black candidate, right? Mark my words, Hampton Roads and other minority centers sit at home in 2016 relative to 2008 and 2016. Black is the new purple.....when Barack Obama is on the ticket. Good luck with that next time around.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I notice you said "purple" instead of "blue." That tells me that you're not confident that the South will ever have Democratic representation again, even with North-to-South migration.

Before the midterms, I'll remind you that liberals were giddy that Texas was (purportedly) turning purple. They chose none other than Abortion Barbie Wendy Davis as their standard bearer of newfound Texas liberalism. As you already know, the last election actually validated that it will be a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG time before TX Democrats move the needle towards purple. LOL
Ms Davis did, however, win the Bum Steer of the Year Award from Texas Monthly, which made me chuckle when I read it.

"But did anyone think that Davis, after all the national exposure and all the money that flowed into her coffers, would be throttled so badly by Republican Greg Abbott in her race to become governor? In the end, she lost by more percentage points than Tony Sanchez did in 2002.

And she won 270,499 fewer votes than Bill White did in 2010 in his doomed effort against Perry. It’s not that the Democrats underperformed. It’s that the [Democratic] party that hasn’t won a statewide race since 1994 actually dug itself an even deeper hole!"

Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
When will you folks finally acknowledge that the Obama elections were an anomaly? You can't possibly believe that there will be electorate as electrified for a white candidate as there was for the first half-black candidate, right? Mark my words, Hampton Roads and other minority centers sit at home in 2016 relative to 2008 and 2016. Black is the new purple.....when Barack Obama is on the ticket. Good luck with that next time around.
...yea, because that's exactly what happened in 2004 when the Bush-Supreme Court told Florida voters to **** off and handed him the election.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Well, well. The nation’s population grew 9.7 percent to 308,745,538 in the 2010 Census, with the fastest gains coming in the South and West. Ohio, New York and New Jersey [dems] are among the states that will lose seats in Congress because of the shift.

States including Texas, Florida and Arizona are witnessing a fresh inflow of people from within the U.S. and beyond the nation’s borders and will benefit from more representation in Washington.

I hope the dems take the advice to "ignore" us......
Ohio is actually relatively mixed, and has some hard core right wing areas. Furthermore, there are plenty Democrat of places that are still growing (the West Coast), as well as the fact that in the long therm, it looks as though they are beginning to win the favor of some swing states, VA, CO (Yes Colorado, I imagine that as Denver grows, the state will stay blue leaning, unlike the past election where just the rwnjs were the ones who were actually motivated to go vote). Furthermore, considering that Cubans in Florida become more liberal with almost every election, I wont be surprised if Florida slowly turns blue over time).

Lastly, to conclude, the Northeast is actually not doing nearly as poorly as people think (especially compared with the Rustbelt), and Liberal urbanites will remain a relatively strong force in the Northeast, for the foreseeable future.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
It's got to turn purple before it goes full blue.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Ohio is actually relatively mixed, and has some hard core right wing areas. Furthermore, there are plenty Democrat of places that are still growing (the West Coast), as well as the fact that in the long therm, it looks as though they are beginning to win the favor of some swing states, VA, CO (Yes Colorado, I imagine that as Denver grows, the state will stay blue leaning, unlike the past election where just the rwnjs were the ones who were actually motivated to go vote). Furthermore, considering that Cubans in Florida become more liberal with almost every election, I wont be surprised if Florida slowly turns blue over time).

Lastly, to conclude, the Northeast is actually not doing nearly as poorly as people think (especially compared with the Rustbelt), and Liberal urbanites will remain a relatively strong force in the Northeast, for the foreseeable future.
Why do you believe that only rwnj's were motivated to vote in Colorado? The left had every opportunity and motive to vote. If they didn't, that is on them.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
...yea, because that's exactly what happened in 2004 when the Bush-Supreme Court told Florida voters to **** off and handed him the election.

how do you figure that? Bush won that one 52% to Kerry's 47%.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
The dems don't need the south to win general elections but can't win back the house without it. Obama got dominated in the Deep South and he won going away.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Ding ding ding!

Housing costs cause people to move; not "taxes."
They do when it eats to much into there disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies