Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Continue Choking The Person 34 41.46%
Stop Choking The Person 48 58.54%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
If all a suspect has to do is say "I can't breath" during a physical confrontation with police & they have to let him up, then both police & society as a whole, are in big trouble.
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I can't believe conservative Americans would defend this kind of ridiculous policing. There were at least 5 armed cops on the immediate scene and one paunchy, asthmatic middle-aged suspect. He was obviously not a threat.

If this is okay in the U.S., then we are in for a very rough ride.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:34 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I'd say, if you can speak, then you can breath.

Also, those who know these things say he wasn't being choked -- only restrained. He died because of a medical condition -- yes,aggravated by the assault.
I'd say, that I would not assume that as a lay person (not a medical professional) that I could surmise that a person was not choking just because they can speak.

Well known forensic pathologist, Cyril Wecht, during an interview on KDKA Radio, gave a very technical/physiological explanation of why is is possible for Eric Garner to have been able to speak even as he was experiencing the sensations of respiratory distress.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:37 PM

328 posts, read 434,572 times
You can breathe is you are speaking.

Resisting arrest like he did caused this problem.

Had he just acted civil and the officers asked him to stop being so erratic this would not have happened.

Instead he chose to fight and push police officers which led to this issue.

Another case where this did not have to happen, had the person who was doing something illegal once again behaved and did what most of us would and just acted civil, instead he chose to push the lever too far. Only because he knew he was in trouble for doing something illegal.

Another case where this is not a white on black issue at all.

93% of all deaths of black men are caused by black men. Ask yourself why do so many black men kill each other yet we dont hear about that?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:40 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Assuming:

- The person has no weapons.

- Five or six of you friends are with you.
Ummm....if I were choking someone, that means they desperately both need and deserve it, and if they could say anything, I'm failing in my efforts. If someone can talk, they are breathing. At any rate, a choke hold is serious social work. As to whether I would let go at a plea for mercy, well, that depends greatly on WHY I'm choking them.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 PM

So as the vote stands now, 24 people would continue choking someone - which is to say that they first had to initiate choking someone. I perceive that they take this poll as a commentary on the Eric Garner case, and since they arbitrarily support the police, are unable to respond to this poll outside of the context of needing to stand behind their position. So in order to stand behind the police you have to profess to being capable (yourself) of murder.

Shocking.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
You can breathe is you are speaking.

Resisting arrest like he did caused this problem.

Had he just acted civil and the officers asked him to stop being so erratic this would not have happened.

Instead he chose to fight and push police officers which led to this issue.

Another case where this did not have to happen, had the person who was doing something illegal once again behaved and did what most of us would and just acted civil, instead he chose to push the lever too far. Only because he knew he was in trouble for doing something illegal.

Another case where this is not a white on black issue at all.

93% of all deaths of black men are caused by black men. Ask yourself why do so many black men kill each other yet we dont hear about that?
I would say that anyone who would call Eric Garner's movements "resisting arrest" or "fighting" - good grief! , is having a hallucination.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Assuming:

- The person has no weapons.

- Five or six of you friends are with you.

Well, there`s a lot going on here.

First, this guy is big and didn`t want to go along with the program, so I understand why the police present wanted to get the upper hand, but the next thing is, why are they ****in` with this guy to begin with?

He`s selling cigarettes on the street to smokers that can`t afford NYC tobacco taxes...how the **** does that rate a choke hold/head lock when the 5-6 cops present could have simply forced him to the ground?

For that matter, they knew who he was, so why didn`t they just write him a ticket and call it a day?

Lots of people have health problems that don`t mix well with police interaction.

If you`re a cop, you should know that and save the Jonny-hard-ass **** for special occasions.

A little common sense on the part of the police would help tremendously.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
In the highly unlikely event I was choking someone and that person said, "I can't breathe", I'd stop choking him. It's not rocket science. In the ER that person would be put at the front of the line by the triage nurse.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 PM

779 posts, read 632,548 times
I keep hearing that if you can speak you can breathe as if having difficulty breathing and still talking is impossible. It's not impossible, it's just hard. So technically he could breath but gasping for air makes one feel as if you can't and it is normal for an asthmatic or someone in distress to get out that they can't breath as long as they're struggling for air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies