Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times

Advertisements

If you look up the word community, it does not have to encompass the entire groups of people.
A community can be a community of drug users, church goers, local or nationwide groups, small or large groups.

Are you part of the Liberal community?
How about part of the Boat builders community ?
Maybe part of the Obama haters community ?

No need to make a perfectly good word racist or all encompassing.

I would say Blacks have much of the highlighted below. Many don't.

Community | Define Community at Dictionary.com

Quote:
noun, plural communities.
1. a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,882,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Where was I when Sharpton and Jackson were appointed spokesmen for the entire black race?
Maybe you should ask them since they're the ones who have appointed themselves leaders of the "african american community".

This is finally something white people have nothing to do with and is strictly a disparagement within the black race itself. If you people don't like it, start opening up about it and letting it be known they speak for only the low hanging fruit of african americans and don't speak for the intelligent ones out there who actually understand what is happening in the real world.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:22 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I've never, ever heard this, either. Of the people I do hear use it, it's usually whites (when referencing what they state people of color say about them). Perhaps it is regional?
I'm beginning to think so, because if anything, blacks who DO use this racist term would feel comfortable saying it around other blacks in reference to white people.

Maybe it's a super old school black term like back in our grandparents day or something.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:27 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,641 times
I don't like none of the terms, whites / blacks / Asians and the likes, we're all Americans. And, I can proven it very easily, lets say as an example, we're in any country in the middle east or another place that's scary (you pick one), and the OP and I we're standing side by side in Combat uniforms, looking through the eyes of the enemy, They only see, Americans. (One color ) Green.

I prefer to say, yes Ma'am and yes, Sir. I only see my people, Americans. Carry on..

Thank you
Knight

Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you look up the word community, it does not have to encompass the entire groups of people.
A community can be a community of drug users, church goers, local or nationwide groups, small or large groups.

I have to disagree here...
Southern blacks are nothing like Northern blacks.
Caribbean blacks are nothing like American blacks.
African blacks are a far cry from being like American blacks.
Yet somehow we are all thrown into the same pot?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I have to disagree here...
Southern blacks are nothing like Northern blacks.
Caribbean blacks are nothing like American blacks.
African blacks are a far cry from being like American blacks.
Yet somehow we are all thrown into the same pot?
No, each can have their own "Community".

I don't fit in well with the NJ community but do in the southern community.
As I said, community can mean all or smaller groups.

You listed smaller communities of Blacks. They are still a community within their similar neighbors.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
No, each can have their own "Community".

I don't fit in well with the NJ community but do in the southern community.
As I said, community can mean all or smaller groups.

You listed smaller communities of Blacks. They are still a community into their similar neighbors.
I now have a headache. LOL.
I get what you're trying to say, but I think you're taking this to a whole different level. My issue is with the generalization of the race, especially by the news/media. As if we ALL think alike and support asinine views and ideologies often displayed. We don't. We're NOT a "community."

Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
...What the hell IS this "African American Community?"...
If you are driving on a street named after Martin Luther King, you are in "The African American Community".

Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,430,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Same, I live in NYC too & I've never heard such terms. Ironically enough the only people I see using those terms are Whites when they try to make a point about how racist or when they give "advice" to the "Black Community" lol

I wonder if thatguydownsouth has posters of Reverend Al and Jesse hanging over his bed too...
Nope, I only have his portrait printed on a throw blanket.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times
Quote:

If you really think the people who are using this term in situations like this aren't using it to lump all blacks together (or fill in the blank with whatever minority race), then you are lying to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you are driving on a street named after Martin Luther King, you are in "The African American Community".
I lol'd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies