Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,007,236 times

Advertisements

Smart folks, southward bound, invested in 401ks, to assure themselves they would be self-sufficient no matter what policy changes/corporate benevolence changes happened. That started decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,646,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Smart folks, southward bound, invested in 401ks, to assure themselves they would be self-sufficient no matter what policy changes/corporate benevolence changes happened. That started decades ago.
Agree. I jumped on the 401K bandwagon when it came to my company.
And I had a pension. Each year I contributed and upped my contribution.
Most other workers did as well. And this was back in 1990.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,728,205 times
Quote:
Smart folks who could afford it, did so. But there are thousands who were already in the workforce for some 35 years before these plans came into being in 1978-1980. Catching up was not that easy and contributions had limits until those were eased.

It's important we don't generalize by presuming that everyone who was working "for decades" had the opportunity to participate in a tax deferred compensation plan all that time.

The section of the Internal Revenue Code that made 401(k) plans possible was enacted into law in 1978, and participating companies, initially, were few. Over time employer and employee participation grew, but not everyone had the opportunity to enroll in a plan early on.

Tax Reform Act of 1984 (TRA '84) - 17,303 plans (i.e. employers offering some kind of tax deferred plan) had a 401k feature integrated into them had 7.54 million active participants.

1990 – Over 97,614 retirement plans had 401(k) feature built in to them and number of active participants grew to 19.548 million.

By 2003 total estimated number of 401k plans had 42.4 million active participants.

What is a 401k Plan? History of 401k Plans & Annual Developments Timeline from 1978 - 2003

In 25 years, participation grew to 42.4 million. That's really not very good. It must be something other than smarts that kept that number so low.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 PM

30,373 posts, read 23,843,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't ..it's one of the 3 legs of retirement finances.
A 25 year old hearing this has years to plan around it. A 70 year old is already retired and receiving their money. What new planning should they do now ? Go out and get a job maybe ?
Both of my parental units are retired, my dad retired when he was 56. They are in their 70s right now. They've spent their entire life being as frugal as possible...which was difficult for me to understand when I was a little kid. "What do you mean we can't afford that new doll? Why not? You make (I won't disclose) money every year!"

It didn't matter to them that they made pretty damn good money, they CHOSE not to spend it on frivolous things. As an adult, I have learned to go without many of my wants based on that upbringing. I have also learned how to do things in the "entertainment" part of the budget as cheaply as possible because that's how they did everything. We never were without our needs...we just didn't always get what we wanted. I will say, they did teach that very well.

They saved a lot, they also put their money in to other things, for their retirement. People in their 70s had plenty of time to do something, and not rely on pensions.

And yes, after my dad retired, he took on little part time jobs...mainly for something to do, but it was just more money to put towards retirement. As a young adult, I could not comprehend why the hell someone would keep working when they didn't have to work anymore. I now understand, the very fact that you don't "have to" makes it a lot easier to actually do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Savings is vulnerable too. The FDIC could put pressure on the government and call them to change the payout of dollars deposited .. We could get pennies on each dollar because many banks can still go under. The FDIC is a promise too and this can all change through legislation. It is simply robbery of the depositors.
I don't know enough about this...so any question I ask is not to be taken as debate or argumentative, it's to be taken as, "please explain more". Why would they be allowed to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Sometimes they don't have a choice. Everyone's situation is different - and remember that not everyone has a pension. What are they to do if they couldn't save enough?

Good questions. Even SS is eventually going to be included in means testing.
At some point in your life, even if you didn't know diddly squat about savings or retirement when you were younger, you would get to a point that you say, "I'm either going to work for the rest of my life, or I need to start socking some money away in investments, savings, etc instead of buying all these things to clutter up my house". Or a coffee every day. Or run errands every day instead of once a week and waste money on gas. Or buy things that they don't actually need. Even if you don't make a lot of money, you can find ways to cut expenses. It's that most people don't want to be "inconvenienced". And then there's also those with the mind set, "Can't take it with you, may as well spend it" or "I live in the now" or "I might die tomorrow, I am going to have fun today". That may well be true....but what if you don't die tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
why would millions of people rely solely on Social Security in their retirement years?
I haven't the foggiest idea. You should ask them why they didn't do any kind of planning.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:50 PM

southward bound, 1978, when they came to be, was 36 years ago. The vast majority of those not now retired had plenty of time to invest in their own retirement.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,540,873 times
Quote:
Where are 401k's invested.... you trust the stock market?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:37 PM

I trust the stock market as long as one is wise enough to diversify his/her 401K. Overall the market long-term follows EPS and EPS, in the last several years, rocks!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,728,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

At some point in your life, even if you didn't know diddly squat about savings or retirement when you were younger, you would get to a point that you say, "I'm either going to work for the rest of my life, or I need to start socking some money away in investments, savings, etc instead of buying all these things to clutter up my house". Or a coffee every day. Or run errands every day instead of once a week and waste money on gas. Or buy things that they don't actually need. Even if you don't make a lot of money, you can find ways to cut expenses. It's that most people don't want to be "inconvenienced". And then there's also those with the mind set, "Can't take it with you, may as well spend it" or "I live in the now" or "I might die tomorrow, I am going to have fun today". That may well be true....but what if you don't die tomorrow?
I grew up much the same as you did, and the advice you give is good. However, my mom was a single mom (widow) raising two kids, working hard paycheck to paycheck. Frugality, we knew it well. Even the fresh fruit in our home (when we had it) was rationed. She had to retire at 62 due to disability and wasn't able to continue working after retirement. We kids went to work making extra $$ babysitting and shoveling snow, then took real summer jobs at age 14 and worked the rest of our lives after getting our education (which we paid for by working our way through). So, yes, I know of what you speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Great question. Many people lost a great deal of their investments not all that long ago; financial advisers quote that some lost as much as 50%. 401k doesn't afford the choices, nor the opportunity, to manage one's investments. There's a mutual fund manager far removed that manages whatever fund one is invested in, and you have very little to say about it except to sell it and move to a different one - hopefully a better managed one. Of course, when you sell a fund that has negative returns, you lock in the loss and can only hope to make it up elsewhere. If market fear drives people out, then they take the loss by selling at the market low. Those who had the stamina to stick with it made it as the market came back. I stuck with it and did well, but many of my friends bailed.

However, the topic being pensions - since pensions were a part of an individual's retirement planning, those who have them should not now be faced with cuts. The gov't needs to curb itself and rein in spending, not reach into every pocket they can identify.

Last edited by swbtoo; 12-26-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 AM

63,123 posts, read 29,304,690 times
Quote:
I have a couple of 401-k's and lost a bundle on them when the stock market crashed. I pulled those investments out and have them all in pretty much safe stuff right now. But is anything really safe these days when pensions can be slashed?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,858,028 times
Quote:

All investments carry risk.

The stock market has outperformed almost all other investments, over time, including real estate.

If you had bought 100 shares of Google in 2004 @ 84, your investment would be worth about $107,000
( including a two for one stock split) today. Where else could you have parked an initial investment of $8400 and done as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies