Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Unlike government welfare programs, no one is forcing you to give your money to them. You can give elsewhere instead if you wish. So, what's the problem again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
What a brave and noble stand, better tweet this right away.
That is the liberal response to everything isn't it? Let's boycott Chick-FilA and bell ringers, but ignore the treatment of gays by Muslim extremists.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:49 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
In this season of giving and seeing the bell ringers of the Salvation Army outside of stores, let us all remember that the Salvation Army at it's heart, is still anti-gay and still in it's approach, a Christian organization. For those of us who are secular and non religious, it's still disheartening to know that many don't know how just how this organization really thinks of those in the gay community. I for one will never donate to this organization.

Salvation Army Anti Gay

Not everyone is going to agree with every view you have. It's likely that the Salvation Army has done more good in the last two weeks than you have in your entire lifetime.

Get over yourself, stop casting stones, and move on.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
In this season of giving and seeing the bell ringers of the Salvation Army outside of stores, let us all remember that the Salvation Army at it's heart, is still anti-gay and still in it's approach, a Christian organization. For those of us who are secular and non religious, it's still disheartening to know that many don't know how just how this organization really thinks of those in the gay community. I for one will never donate to this organization.

Salvation Army Anti Gay
That's your right.

I donate to them all of the time, in one form or another, and I plan to continue.

Why is it such a big deal that ONE organization doesn't kiss the gay rights activists' butts?

Bully for them for standing up for what they believe in.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:51 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
That is the liberal response to everything isn't it? Let's boycott Chick-FilA and bell ringers, but ignore the treatment of gays by Muslim extremists.
With the jihadists, if you're not one of them they'll kill you.

But you're right, leftists seem more more offended by some big bad Christian who says they don't personally approve of gay marriage or abortion. Yep, that's much scarier!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:

Salvation Army Anti Gay

After my home was devestated in Sandy the Salvation Army was out there in full force helping victims with no question of religion or if gay or not.

I dont recall any of the numerous gay and lesbiian organzations out in full force at Jersey Shore, Long Beach or Rockaways helping victims. I would say those organizations discriminate against straight people.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:54 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
OK... don't give to them and move on.

Are you attempting to cause strife and ruin an organization that helps a myriad of poor people?

Are you attempting to cause strife and ruin and organization that does charity the right way - which is through private means by people giving according to their free will - rather than the heavy handed government tax and redistribute approach?

What do you really want here?
I'm attempting to let people know just how discriminatory and bigoted this organization really is. I'm not gay myself but I do not support any groups that take an anti-gay stance. Many LGBT people are rejected by this evangelical church charity because they're "sexually impure." They also have a history of actively lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies - including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal. My point is that this Christian charity is not what some people think it is.

Why You Shouldn't Donate to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers | The Bilerico Project

Old 12-29-2014, 09:55 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
After my home was devestated in Sandy the Salvation Army was out there in full force helping victims with no question of religion or if gay or not.

I dont recall any of the numerous gay and lesbiian organzations out in full force at Jersey Shore, Long Beach or Rockaways helping victims. I would say those organizations discriminate against straight people.
Wow. Good angle to take on that in showing who the real bigots are. +1 from me.

It's one thing to disagree with a principle, but still help and do what you do despite the actions of others. It's another thing to stonewall others totally based on the principles held by others.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
I'm attempting to let people know just how discriminatory and bigoted this organization really is. I'm not gay myself but I do not support any groups that take an anti-gay stance. Many LGBT people are rejected by this evangelical church charity because they're "sexually impure." They also have a history of actively lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies - including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal. My point is that this Christian charity is not what some people think it is.

Why You Shouldn't Donate to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers | The Bilerico Project
Let's say you are the match that started a public firestorm that severly hurts what the Salvation Army does - and therefore, many people would no longer receive aid from the Salvation Army. You OK with that?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
The Salvation Army is an organization that doesn't hesitate to help anyone that needs it in their mission. They don't ask about any personal information, if you need help they are there.

The Salvation Army is the only organization I do donate to on a regular basis because they are the most even handed and non-judgemental group I have ever found.

Yes, as Christians that follow the teachings of the Bible they don't approve of homosexual behavior. That doesn't mean they won't give a homosexual man a meal or a homosexual woman a place to sleep if they need it.

I know there are several political action groups that target the Salvation Army each year to put pressure on them to turn their backs on their religion for policial purposes, and because of that I usually drop at least $100 in various kettles when I see them besides the money I donate at other times of the year like when I get my taxes back.

They are a good organization with good values and a non-judgemental approach to helping those in need. They are an organization I will support and continue to support because they are doing the work they are called to do, helping the poor, the disadvantaged, feeding the hungry and offering shelter and comfort to those in need.

Donations can be anonymous, and you can rest assured they will be put to good use instead of buying limos and suites for the head of the organization like so many other "charities" do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies