Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Who are you to condemn anyone's religious beliefs?
This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll condemn any beliefs that are bigoted, prejudicial, and which endorse the unequal treatment or marginalization of any group. The fact they hide/justify these odious beliefs and practices behind some deity or other means less than nothing.

Quote:
Do you demand that everyone and every organization share your views and beliefs?
That's silly. What kind of world could that happen in? There is a major difference between not seeing eye to eye with another person on a certain subject and with disagreeing with a larger agency that has power and influence. With some organizations, what we have is more systematic prejudice and mass-spreading of ideas and views that are often hateful and harmful. The idea, for example, that homosexuals are somehow "wrong" or should be treated as second-class citizens.

Quote:
Salvation Army has always been a Christian organization.
There are many Christian organizations for whom homosexuality is not an issue.

Quote:
They should not change for you or anyone else. It's ok that you disagree, you are free not to donate.
On this I completely agree with you.

But we should remember:

There is not one single reason to be offended or disgusted by homosexuality, or to be "anti-gay" that does not arise from fear, hate, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination of those things. Not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
That's silly. What kind of world could that happen in? There is a major difference between not seeing eye to eye with another person on a certain subject and with disagreeing with a larger agency that has power and influence. With some organizations, what we have is more systematic prejudice and mass-spreading of ideas and views that are often hateful and harmful. The idea, for example, that homosexuals are somehow "wrong" or should be treated as second-class citizens.
Then why haven't you gone after all the major religions of the world over this ?
Is that next..get the churches to cave now that governments have caved ?

Pray tell, what hateful and harmful views has the Salvation Army spread about being gay ?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll condemn any beliefs that are bigoted, prejudicial, and which endorse the unequal treatment or marginalization of any group. The fact they hide/justify these odious beliefs and practices behind some deity or other means less than nothing.

There are many Christian organizations for whom homosexuality is not an issue.

On this I completely agree with you.

But we should remember:

There is not one single reason to be offended or disgusted by homosexuality, or to be "anti-gay" that does not arise from fear, hate, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination of those things. Not one.
Hmmm...I think we also should remember that anyone can be disgusted an/or offended by anything that disgusts or offends them. There are other reasons people are put off by homosexuality. Not the least of which is being told how to feel about it, and being labeled as a hater, bigot, etc because they don't agree.

Its lime there's this not so veiled threat that it will be shouted from the rooftops that a person is grossed out by homosexual behavior, as if that's a crime, and they will be punished for it. I've seen some pretty nasty and hateful displays toward straight people , by gays, before as well. Interesting terms like "Alice"( whatever that means..never figured it out..other than its an ksult of some kind) "breeder"..there's a good one...and I'm sure there is plenty more.

Obscene gestures, flamboyant and heavy handed PDAs , just to vet a rise out of people, it goes on and on. The "gay community" can, at times, be its own worse enemy. My sister, who is gay, and her partner, have said this in conversations we have had. Its not so hard to imagine many people harbor I'll will towards homosexuality because they lost a loved one, who lived a promiscuous and flamboyant "gay lifestyle", to AIDS or drug use.

People have a right go their feelings and opinions. Having a jaundiced eye for homosexuality is not a crime. And peoples reasons for feeling that way are their own business.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Its absolutely true that the Salvation Army is Christian at its core. God's command to help the poor and downtroden is central to its motivation to helping all kinds of people, even gay ones who are in need of help. It is also true that it will preach against homosexuality, but not just homosexuality, but all sins, drunkeness, lying, stealing, murder, adultery, and rebelion against authority. It will also preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which offers free forgiveness of sins to all who believe in Jesus. They believe in helping the persons body and the soul.

But its a lie that they are antihomosexual or can be labeled anti-gay. They're just against sin. The OP post makes it seem that being against gays is the core of their mission. Wrong. They are just trying to help people both physically and spiritually.

But what I find really interesting is that the OP is against an organization that has probably helped thousands and thousands of gay people over the years. He bashes them like they are the worst people on the planet. Yet I ask a question, "How much has the OP helped gay people who are down and out?" So the OP is bashing an organization that has done far more good for all kinds of people than they even have a mind to do. Where are the gay run homeless shelters that help all kinds of people?

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonhams View Post
lots of religious groups don't advocate homosexuality, including the catholic church and lets not forget that there are some 30,000 christian denominations in the world. Then there are muslims, sikhs, hindu's, jews etc etc who also have their own religious doctrines regarding homosexuality.

In terms of the salvation army, it was originally set up by william booth, a methodist in london and still has it's headquarters in london.
Salvation Army is still taking anti-gay stance-download.jpg

We're not going to get over it. As a Christian, I believe homosexuality is wrong.
In the Bible, in numerous locations, it is pronounced wrong and a sin. I will not
condone what I believe is wrong. I am normal, I am straight, deal with it.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
In this season of giving and seeing the bell ringers of the Salvation Army outside of stores, let us all remember that the Salvation Army at it's heart, is still anti-gay and still in it's approach, a Christian organization. For those of us who are secular and non religious, it's still disheartening to know that many don't know how just how this organization really thinks of those in the gay community. I for one will never donate to this organization.

Salvation Army Anti Gay
You have a right to believe as you do and so does EVERYONE else.

You see, THAT is the problem. You want to be able to believe as you wish but, you are against anyone else who does NOT believe as you do.

You are free to give to whatever charity or organization as you wish. As does EVERONE else.

Get used to it.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:16 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
In this season of giving and seeing the bell ringers of the Salvation Army outside of stores, let us all remember that the Salvation Army at it's heart, is still anti-gay and still in it's approach, a Christian organization. For those of us who are secular and non religious, it's still disheartening to know that many don't know how just how this organization really thinks of those in the gay community. I for one will never donate to this organization.
I read a study a few years ago that listed each major North American charity and how much of every dollar donated to each went to the causes they support. The Salvation Army had the highest percentage, with 92 cents of every dollar going directly to those in need, and eight cents of each dollar going toward administration of the charity itself.

This is the #1 reason I give to the Salvation Army and I am not even religious. They have a direct impact on those in need in my community by providing food, shelter, retraining programs and substance abuse counselling. The last time I checked, the gay rights movement didn't require any of those services to further their agenda.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:29 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Interesting how defensive & p*ssy people got at the OP. He's simply posting that he doesn't agree w/that organizations stance on gays. Get over it. I too do not give money to them.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmm...I think we also should remember that anyone can be disgusted an/or offended by anything that disgusts or offends them. There are other reasons people are put off by homosexuality. Not the least of which is being told how to feel about it, and being labeled as a hater, bigot, etc because they don't agree.

Its lime there's this not so veiled threat that it will be shouted from the rooftops that a person is grossed out by homosexual behavior, as if that's a crime, and they will be punished for it. I've seen some pretty nasty and hateful displays toward straight people , by gays, before as well. Interesting terms like "Alice"( whatever that means..never figured it out..other than its an ksult of some kind) "breeder"..there's a good one...and I'm sure there is plenty more.

Obscene gestures, flamboyant and heavy handed PDAs , just to vet a rise out of people, it goes on and on. The "gay community" can, at times, be its own worse enemy. My sister, who is gay, and her partner, have said this in conversations we have had. Its not so hard to imagine many people harbor I'll will towards homosexuality because they lost a loved one, who lived a promiscuous and flamboyant "gay lifestyle", to AIDS or drug use.

People have a right go their feelings and opinions. Having a jaundiced eye for homosexuality is not a crime. And peoples reasons for feeling that way are their own business.
You pretty much destroyed your own argument when you started stereotyping gay people as promiscuous, flamboyant, drug users

Also, I always find it funny when people talk about heavy handed PDA as if straight people dont do it. Last night is a perfect example of why that is a lie (NYE).

Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What exactly does " anti- gay" mean?
It means you are opposed to being light hearted and carefree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies