Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know if he will actually be traumatized. Depends upon how the others around him handle it, I suppose. Will his siblings or other relatives blame him for their mother's death? THAT could be traumatizing. It will certainly make him unique and give him a lifelong story to tell. Not many people can claim to have shot their own mother as a toddler!
so you think shooting your mother when you are a toddler is just a "unique" story to tell, kinda like they day when other unique thing happen like the time they went to disneyland and had a flat tire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That's why I believe in requiring liability insurance for gun owners should be in order, and heavy fines or jail time for those who fail to obtain it.
I'd be okay with requiring liability insurance but not sending people to jail. For Pete's sake.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It will be a very long time before there are a significant number of carry licenses issued in DC. I'll be dead from old age before that happens.
Don't be so sure about that....... We keep going to the courts and they keep FORCING your corrupt government obey the Constitution and respect our Rights.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-02-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I agree situational awareness and avoidance is the first line of defense if possible. However sometimes even that is not enough. For instance.. Home invasions....

Homeowner shoots intruder in Vance County break-in :: WRAL.com
Well he had a crap door for one and... "he shot first, I shot second"!!!?? So.. again, it is the intruders incompetence that allowed the homeowner the chance to defensively use his firearm!! I give up though... I'm not going to have a gun in my home and if it means that a home invader takes my 27" picture tube TV... so be it. There is a guy in MI who is facing jail time for opening his door and shooting someone who was only drunk and looking for assistance with her car. Here in OR there are two guys facing criminal charges for firing shots out their windows at sounds they heard outside. Sounds they did not investigate before firing in the general direction. Both times their shots connected. Both times homeless men were killed. THAT is the way to use a gun! It is also terribly illegal and terribly wrong. But at least the shooters are alive. No telling what might have happened had they dithered and allowed the situation to develop out of their control. You never want to do that.

H

Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There are no relevant "facts" about concealed gun
deaths. We do know that having a loaded gun in the house increases the
likelihood that someone in the house will be killed with that
gun. If we look at the experience of Great Britain, we can see
that fewer guns translates to fewer murders
Really? Because since the UK brought in stricter gun controls, their crime rates have doubled....

UK gun owners - Telegraph
Quote:
But, on the other hand, the strict regulations have done nothing to stop the
trade in illegal guns. The weapon Reeve used was, after all, a handgun, which
no one has been allowed to own in this country since 1997 – not even the
British Olympic pistol shooting team, which has to train in Switzerland.

And, a cruel irony this, gun crime has doubled since then
Suicides and gun ownership have no relation to one another. Take Japan for example. It's virtually impossible to own a gun there, they have like 4 gun deaths per year, yet they are 3rd in the world for highest suicide rate. The US on the other hand, with all it's guns, isn't even in the top 30.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That's why I believe in requiring liability insurance for gun owners should be in order, and heavy fines or jail time for those who fail to obtain it. Also, using a gun or threatening to use one during a crime should be a felony with a minimum ten year prison sentence with no parole.
When you figure out how to make gang bangers and thugs, who are the primary culprits, buy insurance, then I will too. Until then, why would anyone else?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And neither are guns...... Guns are made to fire a projectile at a high rate of speed. The direction of the muzzle is completely up to the operator.

I've owned guns all my life, none of them have ever killed anyone, unless you count paper targets.

The vast najority of guns will never kill anyone.
True, a gun is nothing more than a tool.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
Congress is the Legislative branch they make Laws not enforce Laws. The Executive Branch enforces the law. These kind of misunderstandings of Fourth Grade Civics is why the anti-gun folks are so angry. They don't know who is supposed to do what or how.
So is your cherry picking antics. True, Congress make laws and law enforcement enforce the laws Congress makes. I unfortunately assumed we were on the same page, I will try to be more clear for you next time.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
You may want to reread the many, many posts where you insulted people who own guns. Other than the two? Posts where you wrote you were not against gun ownership.
So what would you call this woman who was careless with a gun and was shot by her own child? And that doesn't answer my question, where was I lying?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Well he had a crap door for one and... "he shot first, I shot second"!!!?? So.. again, it is the intruders incompetence that allowed the homeowner the chance to defensively use his firearm!! I give up though... I'm not going to have a gun in my home and if it means that a home invader takes my 27" picture tube TV... so be it. There is a guy in MI who is facing jail time for opening his door and shooting someone who was only drunk and looking for assistance with her car. Here in OR there are two guys facing criminal charges for firing shots out their windows at sounds they heard outside. Sounds they did not investigate before firing in the general direction. Both times their shots connected. Both times homeless men were killed. THAT is the way to use a gun! It is also terribly illegal and terribly wrong. But at least the shooters are alive. No telling what might have happened had they dithered and allowed the situation to develop out of their control. You never want to do that.

H
I support your decision to not carry or own a gun.

However what would you do if you walked in your home to see this happening to your wife or daughter.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wLQ38wpsT0U

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 01-02-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies