Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

Hooray for Texas!

"It’s official: Cookies and cupcakes are allowed at school parties."

The Texas Agriculture Department had put a nutritional policy in place that restricted the snacks parents could give to students at public schools (before the Obamas so don't jump on them). But now the new Texas Agriculture Commissioner (Sid Miller) has taken over and has given official amnesty to cupcakes.

I know you are saying "who cares" but the reason is this:

“We want families, teachers and school districts in Texas to know the Texas Department of Agriculture has abolished all rules and guidelines that would stop a parent from bringing cupcakes to school,” he said. “This act is about providing local control to our communities.”

POLITEX: Thanking Texas Gov. Rick Perry? | The Star Telegram

Now if the feds would only get off the backs of the states in a lot of areas and the states would get off the backs of local communities, we might have something good going on here.

Note: It's not the first story on the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hooray for Texas!

"It’s official: Cookies and cupcakes are allowed at school parties."

The Texas Agriculture Department had put a nutritional policy in place that restricted the snacks parents could give to students at public schools (before the Obamas so don't jump on them). But now the new Texas Agriculture Commissioner (Sid Miller) has taken over and has given official amnesty to cupcakes.

I know you are saying "who cares" but the reason is this:

“We want families, teachers and school districts in Texas to know the Texas Department of Agriculture has abolished all rules and guidelines that would stop a parent from bringing cupcakes to school,” he said. “This act is about providing local control to our communities.”

POLITEX: Thanking Texas Gov. Rick Perry? | The Star Telegram

Now if the feds would only get off the backs of the states in a lot of areas and the states would get off the backs of local communities, we might have something good going on here.
Now, if they'd just actually do it, by devolving education back to the local level... completely.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:04 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Default Amnesty For Cupcakes In Texas Schools

Yay for cupcakes In all honesty I didn't know the rules applied to kids who bring their own lunches.
I guess nothing should surprise me.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:27 AM

894 posts, read 1,051,073 times
I'm 36 and when I was in elementary school everyone's moms would come in with cupcakes and punch when it was someone's birthday and there were was maybe one kid in our class who was slightly chubby.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:16 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I'm 36 and when I was in elementary school everyone's moms would come in with cupcakes and punch when it was someone's birthday and there were was maybe one kid in our class who was slightly chubby.

I'm 54, and we always did that in my school up through sixth grade. Cupcakes were usually brought in for kindergarten through third grade or so...then fourth grade on, the parents would send in money for an ice cream treat for the whole class at lunch. Popsicles, ice cream sandwiches, and nutty buddy cones were sold in the school cafeteria. I got gypped, because my birthday was in the summer.

We used to send money to buy the class an ice cream treat for my youngest daughter's birthday when she was in elementary school. Her school discouraged cupcakes during class (messy and disruptive of class time), but had no problem with it at lunch. When our older daughter was in elementary school, we lived in an urban district where birthday treats of any kind were discouraged...not because of dietary issues, but because of "fairness" and preventing hurt feelings among the students who couldn't afford to treat the class. Then there were the Jehovah's witnesses who didn't celebrate birthdays (there were always one or two in her class) who had to be considered.

When we moved to our present area, she was in fifth grade, and could finally have birthday treats at school.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-18-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Now, if they'd just actually do it, by devolving education back to the local level... completely.

It's coming.... Bills in the Texas legislature right now, telling the US Dept of Education, to go phuk themselves and pound sand.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Then there were the Jehovah's witnesses who didn't celebrate birthdays (there were always one or two in her class) who had to be considered.

We had those geeks, converted to the ways of sinners in short order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies