Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...Brad Pitt?
Hell, they'd do it with Pee Wee Herman if it made the registers go kaching.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Black Stormtrooper, Black Annie, Black James Bond ... these are just the latest examples. My question is- why is Hollywood doing this, why now, and why even bother?

Unless the budgets are practically nonexistent, these movies are guaranteed money-losers mostly because foreign audiences are less likely to embrace black leads, especially in classic roles. Remember what a joke "The Wiz" was? And the horrid "Karate Kid" remake with the privileged Jayden Smith?

Other than the obvious that Hollywood has run out of new ideas, what exactly is the reason for this spate of 'black-washing'?

If they're going to recast movies for black actors then they should do a black Batman. That makes much more sense than "black Annie". How many black girls do you know are named Annie anyway? Maybe if they renamed her Anniqua it could work.

What do you think? Does it bother you? Do you not care? Do you plan to see any of these movies?

Finally- how offended would blacks be if "Porgy and Bess" starred white or hispanic actors?

Why I Am Over Black Remakes

The 'Annie' Remake Is Just Hollywood Trolling Racists

Films that were remade with a minority cast
The black version of Steel Magnolias was awful too, despite a star-studded cast. I really wanted to like it, but the acting was not good.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
How about a remake of Blazing Saddles reversing all the characters races around ?
I'd pay to see that.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It matters if we're talking Denzel. I'd pay to watch Denzel sit on a stool and read from a 9th grade math textbook.
Me too.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Not sure if I would pay to watch Denzel sit on a stool and read from a 9th grade math textbook. But he is one fine actor!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not sure if I would pay to watch Denzel sit on a stool and read from a 9th grade math textbook. But he is one fine actor!
"Flight" is an awesome movie.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:45 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Wait ten years and Hollywood will have gay remakes like a flaming Bond that instead of being surrounded by sexy woman is surrounded by sweaty body builders. You heard it here first.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:46 PM

99,574 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Some may recall that, as usual, there is nothing new under the Sun.

Back in the early 1970s quite a few movies were made to cater to the black American audience, like Shaft (with that marvelous theme song) and the awful (but campy) "Blacula".

It is simply another cycle, and not part of some silly liberal-marxist agenda. Money talks in Hollywood, for those who didn't know.
Correct. And I thought Blacula was actually not bad thanks to actor William Marshall putting his all into the role.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:51 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Black Stormtrooper, Black Annie, Black James Bond ... these are just the latest examples. My question is- why is Hollywood doing this, why now, and why even bother?

Unless the budgets are practically nonexistent, these movies are guaranteed money-losers mostly because foreign audiences are less likely to embrace black leads, especially in classic roles. Remember what a joke "The Wiz" was? And the horrid "Karate Kid" remake with the privileged Jayden Smith?

Other than the obvious that Hollywood has run out of new ideas, what exactly is the reason for this spate of 'black-washing'?

If they're going to recast movies for black actors then they should do a black Batman. That makes much more sense than "black Annie". How many black girls do you know are named Annie anyway? Maybe if they renamed her Anniqua it could work.

What do you think? Does it bother you? Do you not care? Do you plan to see any of these movies?

Finally- how offended would blacks be if "Porgy and Bess" starred white or hispanic actors?

Because Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd have turned the roles down and decided that 98% of all the roles in all the movies in hollywood is enough?

Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:

This wasn't your main point, but I feel the need to ask this: how in the hell can you compare a black stormtrooper to a black James Bond? James Bond is a primary protagonist in a franchise. Stormtroopers were faceless soldiers in the Star Wars, who's skin color is never actually seen (unless you count the prequels but that's a different situation entirely).

All in all, I don't care. I think getting upset about it is... a massive waste of time. Hollywood is a money making machine. Most films that are made are not spectacular. You get a few good ones here and there still, but movies are made primarily to make money unfortunately. If having black actors makes them money, they'll do it.

If you love it, you know what you are. Personally, I literally could not care less. If the movie's good, that's all I'm going to care about. If black James Bond ends up being a great movie, I will happily watch it. If it's more like Annie, which I haven't seem, but I've heard is underwhelming, I won't like it. Not because the character's black but because the movie is trash. If the race of a character is your problem with the movie, you have a problem.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies