Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think so. Very few people consider marijuana a top priority when electing a president. As a matter of fact, it is probably the least of the worries the voters have.

Candidates and politicians who keep prohibition alive, continually rigging the game for special interests who fear legalization will hurt their bottom line, as well as keeping the black market alive and well, not to mention supressing individual liberties and intruding on the private lives of American citizens for what they consume, and going against the will of the people, should be the top priority of EVERY American! Furthermore, I would say it is a priority given that a growing number of Americans (whether they partake or not) support legalization. We have well over a dozen that have legalized for medicinal purposes, and 3 or 4 states that have legalized it recreationally, with even more states exploring the idea. The end prohibition is gaining momentum, and it would be in the best interest of any candidate on either side to think twice, before going against the will of the people! And if they do so, then they may as well be a dictator!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
I'd wait until 2016, because the chances are a Republican will win the WH, and the pot shops might have to close their doors if the new president chooses to enforce laws.
Yeah, a Republican was supposed to win in 2012 as well. Hilary Clinton was supposed to be the nominee for sure in 2008. According to many on this forum, both were virtual SHOE INS. Nothing is ever certain in politics.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
It would destroy them.

There is no way a republican president is going to tell thousands of small business owners to close up shop and lose their livelihoods.

It's just another prohibitionist fantasy.

It would be in their best interest not to do so, but I wouldn't put it past the fascist neo-cons in the republican party to pull a d*** move like that. I would hope that the tea party, and libertarian types would fight them tooth and nail.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,865 times
Quote:
I'd wait until 2016, because the chances are a Republican will win the WH, and the pot shops might have to close their doors if the new president chooses to enforce laws.
Good luck. Any Republican candidate who is anti-legalization won't be voted in. People are waking up to the inane propaganda tactics and the facts are showing that we have been lied to by the gov't for decades. Both parties know legalization is close and that the sky won't fall. If that was the case Colorado would be a wasteland. The only thing preventing legalization is private interests with pharmaceuticals, the wood industry, the cancer industry, the prison system, the guards, the courts, etc. They all have a monetary stake with cannabis remaining illegal. And if a new president would go back on his word the people won't take it. Especially with denying medicine to children who highly benefit from cannabis oil. Anymore there are 10 positive studies being released to one negative so looks like science is holding steady (but I guess they all lie.......yep). As always money and power rules.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. Very few people consider marijuana a top priority when electing a president. As a matter of fact, it is probably the least of the worries the voters have.
That's where you are incorrect. Legalizing cannabis will stop people from getting arrested for smoking a non toxic plant. It will open up the police to attend to more important matters - unsolved rapes, property damage, missing children, etc. It will save tax payers a ton of cash by eliminating the atrocious court costs/procedures, will further hinder the black market, make it safer as it will be sold in stores with carding involved (we know drug dealers don't card), and it will lose it's appeal of being a "taboo" (numbers are down in MM states for teenage usage already), and will stop ruining otherwise law abiding citizens from having their lives destroyed for future jobs/housing/etc. The cost of the drug war is insane and we would save a TON of money cutting their funding. Let them go after the drugs like meth, crack, and other ones that have a real impact on society. Plus the drug war has turned people against the police. Cut out busting people for cannabis and I bet police would be looked upon more favorably. Plus the fact we all know police make a ton of money from grants for cannabis arrests and they get to "keep" the money/cars/houses seized. Right now they hardly have enough people applying to become cops because of the current corrupt system. So yes it is a important priority for all those reasons. Don't always look at the surface.....

Old 01-14-2015, 04:10 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/720...enses_2014.pdf

Here is the other set of data.

Murder
Aggravated Assault
Sex Offenses

All categories of crime that went down. I really don't give a **** about disorderly conduct or drug offenses.
Not unless you are the mugged and your wallet is snatched to 'help a guy get high' right?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Not unless you are the mugged and your wallet is snatched to 'help a guy get high' right?
Thankfully cannabis users don't usually rob people for money. The withdrawal is on par with caffeine. A cannabis user doesn't need his fix like other drugs.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Mugging is not disorderly conduct nor a drug offense, but let's run with your non-sequitur. How does legalization impact would-be muggers?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
Quote:
And IF that were to happen, it would only be further proof that the GOP is THE party of Huge Government, Big Brother, nanny-state BS when the LIE they always trot out is that they are "small government."

Such complete horsepucky.

The Republican Party has been completely devoid of any true conservatives for decades. They utterly abandoned true conservative practices, ideals and principles back around the time of the Fall of Saigon.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:30 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yeah, a Republican was supposed to win in 2012 as well. Hilary Clinton was supposed to be the nominee for sure in 2008. According to many on this forum, both were virtual SHOE INS. Nothing is ever certain in politics.
True, but I cannot think of a serious Dem candidate at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies