Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 AM

50,540 posts, read 47,325,804 times

Advertisements

Title....Police respond....because it's not their job to PRO-actively save you. It's your and your weapons job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 AM

37,817 posts, read 41,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The police I'm seeing do indeed have guns! I'm no expert, look to me like assault weapons, nothing heavier.
I'm speaking of the first incident. The first police to arrive at the scene were unarmed.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm speaking of the first incident. The first police to arrive at the scene were unarmed.

I think they have special units that carry guns similar to the UK.
Not all police are armed like here in the US.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 AM

50,540 posts, read 47,325,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yep, and civilians are at the mercy of armed terrorists. Terrorists that can obtain weapons very easily.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,800,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
"outside influence"....unfortunately, a lot of the islamic terrorist activities don't take place in islamic countries. They are bringing the terrorism to us.
Please explain?
I'd rather just stick to my original point and not have it lost in questions of minor significance but...

You seem to be under the impression I am somehow defending Islam...Um, that would be a no. I am an Athiest. But neither am I going to generalize islam as the cause of middle eastern violence if I don't think it is the prime mover.

I think the traditional views of masculinity the world over are being challenged and no less so in the middle eastern world and culture...Islam is merely a convenient tool and excuse for aggression and anger... When your masculinity is challenged the typical response is "chest beating" or a display of power...strict Islamic code is a convenient excuse to express anger through displays of power...which is only the fear of losing power masked as aggression....

Your quibble over where terrorist activity takes place has nothing to do with my original point. I never said there was a justified area of operations for terrorism. There isn't whether here or there.

If you want to know why they target western culture it is because Western influence and culture probably threatens and undermines middle eastern women's taste in men and life style. They see there are other ways and cultures to be attracted to, that the world is now a small place, that people can now pick and choose between cultures and this threatens their access to women at home. This introduces more competition. If Muslim women can only marry Muslim men, this reduces competition. So again, Islam is being used as a tool to mask a fear of sexual competition which is the prime driver of the violence, not religion. It's really very simple.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,818,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's my understanding as well. I think the idea is that if the ordinary foot cop is unarmed, s/he will be more approachable and have more positive contacts in neighborhoods.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,459,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus

If you want to know why they target western culture it is because Western influence and culture probably threatens and undermines middle eastern women's taste in men and life style. They see there are other ways and cultures to be attracted to, that the world is now a small place, that people can now pick and choose between cultures and this threatens their access to women at home. This introduces more competition. If Muslim women can only marry Muslim men, this reduces competition. So again, Islam is being used as a tool to mask a fear of sexual competition which is the prime driver of the violence, not religion. It's really very simple.

That's fine, but they need not go to France, live there as guests of France, and use the openness of western civilization as both a sword and a shield when convenient.

If they want to lament western values encroachment into their "homelands" then that is one thing. But to do it "in the west" is absolutely absurd.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,800,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You need to keep up with gun laws....things have drastically changed over the last 30 - 40 years.....

The pro gun group will not become violent....no matter who....there are no politicians who even want to change the 2A....
But your insinuation is that, if there were, the pro-gun groups might become violent. And of course, at the individual scale we have already seen violence when federal agents have come to collect weapons.

So I still stand by my analogies.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM

15,671 posts, read 10,449,026 times
Inadequate males are jealous of successful males. Losers' personal inadequacies and projections have nothing to do with the radical Islamists motivations to destroy the West's way of life and freedoms.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-09-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 08:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,818,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

The cartoons these guys reacted to are very strong stuff, and depict the prophet in specifically sexual and offensive ways. (Also the christian triune god - charlie hebdo may have picked on islam more often than other religions, but they were certainly not more gentle with other religions.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies