Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times

Advertisements

Gun rights supporters held a rally held a rally in Olympia, WA, where they handed guns back and forth, in blatant violation of Iniitiative 594, which was approved by voters on Nov 4 and is now in effect. State troopers stood by and made no arrests.
Quote:
However, Washington State Patrol Trooper Guy Gill said "we're not convinced that handing someone a gun is a violation of 594."
The 18 page law is so convoluted that nobody, including the state patrol, is quite sure what it means. A friend who works for a major gun dealer told me that they have been instructed by the state to essentially ignore the new law, and continue processing gun sales as they have in the past. The governor and state attorney general are both anti-gun Democrats but apparently unable to make heads nor tails of the new law.

A lawsuit has been filed against I-594 on the grounds that "so vague that a person of ordinary intelligence cannot understand its scope." Based on the actions of the liberal Democrat admin in Olympia, it appears that this is a good argument.
Suit challenges I-594, expansion of gun-buyer background checks | The Today File | Seattle Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
A law intended to take more liberty from the people, made by progressives to protect the elite ruling class, that is unenforceable... Where have we seen this before?

Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A law intended to take more liberty from the people, made by progressives to protect the elite ruling class, that is unenforceable... Where have we seen this before?
Plus, they make it complicated so their lawyer donors can make a buck off of it.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,993,101 times
One of my sons who lives in WA is quite possibly taking matters into his own hands. He is probably going to leave the state of his birth and move to Montana next summer.
I wonder how many others have the financial ability to leave WA state, and will do so...
I have two other kids who live and were born there. I would like to see them leave, also.
But, that probably won't happen
The wealthy bought that election. It would be GREAT to see the courts slap them down by nullifying their stupid law!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:47 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Conn for one

Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,380,428 times
It's such a stupid and badly written law even the state government is unwilling to help licensed dealers figure out how to comply with it. Here's a recording of what the state says, it amounts to "get a lawyer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6Qe9DJp4A

Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,978,740 times
The purpose of vague laws is to enable the state to make up what it means on the fly and revise at will.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,835,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The purpose of vague laws is to enable the state to make up what it means on the fly and revise at will.
Exactly.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's such a stupid and badly written law even the state government is unwilling to help licensed dealers figure out how to comply with it. Here's a recording of what the state says, it amounts to "get a lawyer".
In other words, we now have to hire an attorney just to exercise a basic constitutional right. I wonder if the state will end up having to pay for lawyers for impoverished gun owners, as is done with public defenders in order to safeguard rights of the 5th, 6th, and 8th amendments.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
One of my sons who lives in WA is quite possibly taking matters into his own hands. He is probably going to leave the state of his birth and move to Montana next summer.
I wonder how many others have the financial ability to leave WA state, and will do so...
I have two other kids who live and were born there. I would like to see them leave, also.
But, that probably won't happen
The wealthy bought that election. It would be GREAT to see the courts slap them down by nullifying their stupid law!
Bloomberg is taking his crusade to other states. I think about half of the states have an initiative process. IIRC, Nevada is the next target for Bloomberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies