Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The great thing is you don't have to carry or own if you don't want to. I even went out of my way to say that just because you are armed it doesn't guarantee anything, different scenarios play out upon factors. However not being armed or not allowed to be armed guarantees you will never have had a chance to defend yourself.

Given when you know there is a threat taking steps to defend yourself is not giving into fear, if they had stopped making cartoons THAT would have been giving into fear.

Is the Warsaw uprising any different? Whether it is defending yourself and not cowering to a army,or a terrorist, or a psycho ex it is still self defense on a certain scale.

Some have said in this thread "but maybe the guy would have had it stolen instead or shot someone by accident". Well maybe but MAYBE had the 4th or 5th person in the building put a 9mm round through the head of the terrorist he might not only have saved himself but also that terrorist would never have lived to make it to the deli and killed another person there. So maybe can go either way .

You are in a building with a terrorist killing everybody and you know you are next.You knew this could happen specially if you wrote those cartoons. What do you do now? Well if you are unarmed you cower under a desk waiting your fate until he finally finds you. If you are armed you fight back, maybe die anyway but maybe not. Which scenario would you prefer?
Listen, I understand what you and some others are saying from your position. I am saying that I don't want to live in a society where most people are carrying firearms. I don't want anyone around me to carry- ever!!! If we can ever progress beyond our violent selves then maybe we can progress to becoming a more enlightened species. You can laugh if you want but know that if we only laugh off a non-violent world we will NEVER live in one.

I hope for a world where a religious zealot does not kill over stupid things. You want to respond to violence with more violence. That just guarantees a continuation of a violent world where the need for bigger and badder guns are needed.

You bring up the Jews fighting back. Listen, I wouldn't be here if a Jew hadn't escaped that mess so I do think that uprising was justified. I want to live in a world where that would never have happened and nobody would be forced to bring arms against a fascist regime intent on killing an entire group of people from the face of the earth. Again, you cannot compare. This incident is like a Christian killing an abortion doctor. I don't think you would say that is like the attempted extermination of the Jewish people.

Anyway, I don't know if I am getting my point across. I understand yours. Do you understand mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:03 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
I am grown up, now you wake up.
No, you are not. Maybe technically, but you are uninformed and immature to post this crap.

Wake up indeed.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Wasn't there an armed guard at the building that was shot first? Having to be armed at all times to feel safe isn't the definition of being safe and free.
Yeah but to die-hard gunnutz it fulfills their "pursuit of happiness" quotient akin to jacked up 4X4 pick-ups to go to the local mall......it's a "faltering-ego" supplement thang.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Listen, I understand what you and some others are saying from your position. I am saying that I don't want to live in a society where most people are carrying firearms. I don't want anyone around me to carry- ever!!! If we can ever progress beyond our violent selves then maybe we can progress to becoming a more enlightened species. You can laugh if you want but know that if we only laugh off a non-violent world we will NEVER live in one.

I hope for a world where a religious zealot does not kill over stupid things. You want to respond to violence with more violence. That just guarantees a continuation of a violent world where the need for bigger and badder guns are needed.

You bring up the Jews fighting back. Listen, I wouldn't be here if a Jew hadn't escaped that mess so I do think that uprising was justified. I want to live in a world where that would never have happened and nobody would be forced to bring arms against a fascist regime intent on killing an entire group of people from the face of the earth. Again, you cannot compare. This incident is like a Christian killing an abortion doctor. I don't think you would say that is like the attempted extermination of the Jewish people.

Anyway, I don't know if I am getting my point across. I understand yours. Do you understand mine?
You are getting your point across BUT on here; it will be simply pizzing upwind.

America: - citizens afraid of each other since 1783.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post

I can answer that. No, they will never understand your position. They don't want to.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You are getting your point across BUT on here; it will be simply pizzing upwind.

America: - citizens afraid of each other since 1783.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I can answer that. No, they will never understand your position. They don't want to.
I agree, I'm wasting time here. It's too bad because living in constant fear must be soul crushing.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
So reading the last few replies and then calling on me to grow up or come out of some fantasy land it looks to me like some of you are in fantasy land. You don't want to live in a violent world, well nether do I. However it is a violent world at times like it or not. You can choose to be a pacifist fine, but you have no right to decide for others to disarm them.

You want to decide for others to disarm them leaving them at the mercy of violence when it comes around. Pretty selfish of you. Wear your rose colored glasses if you want, but not for me thank you.

If it was up to you everybody would be at the mercy of violent ones, because you want to click your heels three times and make believe everything is sugarplum and fairies.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
How is it that during WW2 when the Jews fought back in the famous Warsaw ghetto uprising, history and people tout it as heroic and something to be admired? Or the French resistance for that matter?

Warsaw Ghetto Uprising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because according to you we all should be dismissing their actions as reckless because "statistically* the Jews who armed themselves and fought back were more likely to shoot their friend or foot off. So according to you it is safer to live like a sheep and take a chance when the lion comes looking for its meal.
You aren't seriously comparing actions during WW2 to this are you ?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We are under constant survellience, we have already lost. And woe be to anyone who dare violate a progressive tenet by protecting themselves and not abdicating their personal safety to the state
Pretty sure he was paraphrasing Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies