Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe Hate Speech Laws Will Become a Reality in the next 10 Years. Which Choice Best Descr
Yes, and I would back them 3 4.23%
No, that is too far-fetched 19 26.76%
Yes, but I would oppose them 35 49.30%
No, but I would support them 4 5.63%
Not sure, but tend toward likely not 3 4.23%
Not sure at all, but tend toward likely yes 2 2.82%
Not sure either way 1 1.41%
No Opinion/Don't care 1 1.41%
Other (Please explain) 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just curious how many of you believe so-called "Hate Speech" laws will be implemented in this country?

Personally, I tend to think so. I won't get into which groups/factions I believe would support them. But it seems from many posts on whatever topic, there are some out there who back laws that would restrict/prohibit certain speech/writings they believe is "intolerant" of others (however defined). Also, there is a generation growing -- in fact, already of age in many cases -- that honestly believe they have some kind of "right" to not be offended.

Anyway, which of the choices best indicates your outlook on it all?
They've already been in practice to some extent.

Justin Carter:
Facebook 'Threat' Case Unresolved: A year after making a sarcastic comment, Justin Carter still faces prison - News - The Austin Chronicle

Josh Pillault:
Second teen spends months in jail for video game threat | The Daily Caller

Freedom of speech...hardly:
Journalists and whistleblowers will go to jail under new national security laws | Paul Farrell | Comment is free | The Guardian

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-is-free.shtml

Gonzalez: UBS whistleblower deserves statue on Wall Street, not prison sentence - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
If the Nazis planned a march in Skokie today I wonder if the ACLU would defend their right. I have my doubts. I don't think the ACLU is the same organisation it was 40 or 50 years.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:13 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Nothing would surprise me in Canada, but whatever. So who defines "Hate"? You? Or those who think like you?

Just remember that what goes around can come around. What is meant by "Hate speech" -- if it becomes "illegal" -- can just as easily come back to bite on the butt one group as it does another.

You are correct that there is no absolute "right" of anything, including "Free Speech". Such as the proverbial example of yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.

But to shut off someone's right -- under the Bill of Rights" -- to express their opinion on controversial issues -- regardless of how popular/unpopular it might be -- under penalty of law -- is downright scary. If indeed a thought/writing is "unacceptable", then the power of public opinion alone will take care of it, so far as its effect goes.

The government has no business in it (just as it has no business in a lot of things).
So, who defines anything in law? It's the courts that make that determination. I don't have a problem with making the spreading of hatred toward any group a crime. It's just another type of slander. It's always lies, ignorance and the lowest of the low. When you spread these slanderous lies and misrepresentations about an entire group of people you are actually infringing upon their rights to pursue their happiness and live their lives as equals within the society. If it were not the case that millions of wackadoodles believe anything they hear as the truth it would not be so bad but the haters gotta hate. Let them hate all on their own without legal framework that allows they to spread the poison.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
So, who defines anything in law? It's the courts that make that determination. I don't have a problem with making the spreading of hatred toward any group a crime. It's just another type of slander. It's always lies, ignorance and the lowest of the low. When you spread these slanderous lies and misrepresentations about an entire group of people you are actually infringing upon their rights to pursue their happiness and live their lives as equals within the society. If it were not the case that millions of wackadoodles believe anything they hear as the truth it would not be so bad but the haters gotta hate. Let them hate all on their own without legal framework that allows they to spread the poison.
This is untrue. Simple statements of fact can be construed as "hate speech" if they conflict with a particular narrative of some groups.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
This is untrue. Simple statements of fact can be construed as "hate speech" if they conflict with a particular narrative of some groups.
That is not our experience here with our anti hate laws.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:39 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You got that right. It is a fact that those in our country illegally are illegal aliens but the bleeding heart liberals and ethnocentrics have labeled that as hate speech. According to them they are "undocumented".

Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You got that right. It is a fact that those in our country illegally are illegal aliens but the bleeding heart liberals and ethnocentrics have labeled that as hate speech. According to them they are "undocumented".
When you have legislation against Hate Speech, it does not matter what your bleeding hearts think or what they label as Hate Speech. It's a well written law that determines that and a well educated and understanding Judiciary that enforces it.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:27 PM

There's no such thing as a well written law that restricts freedom of speech. Maybe in Canada but not in the U.S. Apparently we value freedom of speech more than you Canadiens do.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM

Hate speech laws in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, I'm a person who zealously guards my freedoms, but these laws do not in any way or respect restrict my freedoms.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:51 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Hate speech laws in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, I'm a person who zealously guards my freedoms, but these laws do not in any way or respect restrict my freedoms.
OK so say something negative and hateful about the Islamic religion. I can if I desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies