Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:27 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
For some reason, I'm getting ultra sensitive about all these threads and postings referring to *poor* people. Maybe we need to use a different adjective to describe a certain 'group' of people.

I AM POOR! But I certainly hope you are not referring to me!

I'm 51yrs , no dependents, single, and work FT @ $9.50/hr. I don't receive any gov help of any kind! I'm not eligible for ANYTHING! Every February (tax time) I file a straight form, with no extra candy of any kind. No extra forms to fill out.

So guess what? I am paying my taxes. Last 2 yrs my income taxes averaged 21%.

I also pay taxes every time I go to the store... Sales Tax. I pay taxes every time I fuel up the car. Every time I pay my monthly utilities.... there are taxes included (that I pay).

I live alone. I don't have anybody to share monthly expenses. So you do the math. At $9.50/hr.... I am poor! Now just exactly *who* are all these threads and postings referring to?
Tax Brackets - 2012,2013,2014

21% is impossible according to "the math" and the figures you posted.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The bottom 50% pays little or no taxes. These people need to start carrying their own weight and stop relying on the rest of us to pick up the slack for them. I didn't suffer through all those years of college just so I could hand over more of my money to cover their portion of the tax revenue. I'm sick of dragging all this dead weight around.
How big of a tax hike are you proposing?

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
It would be great if that were the majority but unfortunately it is not....To me even 10 percent of the population on welfare is unacceptable
Census Bureau: Means-Tested Gov't Benefit Recipients Outnumber Full-Time Year-Round Workers | CNS News
Then work towards change and support it. Stop blaming the poor for these issues. The problem lies with those in power in government and in industry. Stop electing politicians that do the bidding of the rich who, for the most part, couldn't give a **** less about the employees they pay poorly.

Support better education

Support small business

Support initiatives that help people achieve success

766 posts, read 1,395,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Tax Brackets - 2012,2013,2014

21% is impossible according to "the math" and the figures you posted.
My COMBINED income taxes are 21%. That would include STATE income taxes, as well as Social Security, etc.

And I'm notorious for working OT.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:34 AM

21,155 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Most of the bottom 50% spend all their money (as opposed to saving it), so if you tax them more, all you are doing is diverting more of their money to the government instead of to the marketplace. If you reduce their taxes, you reduce the amount of revenue the government can spend (and waste), increase the revenue of companies who are selling more products/services which increases job growth, increase the quality of life, and reduce the need for government welfare programs (for those who need supplements to their low income).

Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Well then.... maybe all these postings and threads should specify the *welfare* class, rather than the POOR. Because people like me keep getting labeled as guilty.
Most people who are labeled as leeches, and moochers are exactly like you, working people who pay taxes. The people making these claims insist on tax cuts for the high-earners and tax hikes for the low and middle class.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Think of how much more your take home pay would be if you didn't have to support the welfare class that are taking your hard earned money while they sit at home and wait for their check....
Think of how much more your take home pay would be if you didn't have to finance wars.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:41 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
The way the right wingers talk about the poor sounds very similar to some propaganda that was going around certain parts of Europe in the late 30's. Anyway I don't think it's the handouts they hate, it's the opportunity for them to feel superior to other people. There are undoubtedly people in their lives whom they must feel inferior to in order to generate that much resentment. In turn they lash out at those who they perceive as being less than them because it makes them feel better about their own rotten lives. They feel compelled to hate someone be it the poor, blacks, gays, etc. and they're never happy unless they do.

Last edited by ahzzie; 01-19-2015 at 05:58 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
The way the right wingers talk about the poor sounds very similar to some propaganda that was going around in certain parts of Europe the late 30's. Anyway I don't think it's the handouts they hate, it's the opportunity for them to feel superior to other people. There are undoubtedly people in their lives whom they must feel inferior to in order to generate that much resentment. In turn they lash out at those who they perceive as being less than them because it makes them feel better about their own rotten lives. They feel compelled to hate someone be it the poor, blacks, gays, etc. and they're never happy unless they do.
It sure sounds that way.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 AM

139 posts, read 250,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Think of how much more your take home pay would be if you didn't have to finance wars.
Typical liberal trying to redirect the topic. If you want to talk about war finances, why don't you start a different thread on it? It has nothing to do with this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies